1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Not jumping ship yet -- Two L.A. groups approach Vikings

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Dec 1, 2010.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Two L.A. groups have shown interest in Minnesota Vikings - ESPN Los Angeles

Two different groups interested in bringing an NFL team to Los Angeles have approached the Minnesota Vikings about possible relocation, Vikings vice president of public affairs Lester Bagley said in a chat on the team's website Tuesday.

"We have been approached by two different groups in Los Angeles -- the Ed Roski group and more recently by former Timberwolves CEO Tim Leiweke and AEG," Bagley said in the chat.

Bagley said team owner Zygi Wilf and Vikings management toured L.A. Live, an entertainment complex located in the city's downtown area, in 2009. According to Bagley, the group was looking for ideas on building a similiar entertainment district in Minnesota.

The Vikings are in their final year of their lease at the Metrodome and have been pushing to get a new stadium approved.

The Minnesota Twins and the University of Minnesota football team have moved out of the outdated building into shiny new facilities of their own. Since 2002, the Vikings have been playing in the Metrodome rent-free, a gesture made to acknowledge the building's difficulty in producing revenue.

Bagley said the Vikings have told both interested groups that the organization is "focused on resolving the issue in Minnesota."

"We feel solid momentum and feel we're well-positioned with the new legislature and governor," he said in the chat. "Instead of spending energy speculating on other markets, let's keep the focus on building a world-class facility for the community and the state of Minnesota."

Both the Rams and the Raiders were once a part of the nation's second-biggest market in Los Angeles.

Speaking at a fundraiser for downtown Los Angeles in early October, Leiweke said he was still working on getting an NFL team to the area. Leiweke also said he's committed to working with city officials and AEG's Phillip Anshutz to make a downtown stadium a reality.

Magic Johnson appears to be on board with Leiweke. On Tuesday, Johnson announced on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" that he is partnering with AEG to bring an existing NFL team to Los Angeles.

Roski has permission to build an NFL stadium in Industry, Calif., about 15 miles outside of downtown Los Angeles.

Meanwhile, an attorney for the San Diego Chargers denied a report Tuesday by a Toronto radio station that Anschutz will buy 35 percent of Southern California's only NFL team.

The report immediately elevated speculation that the Chargers could be headed to Los Angeles.

The Chargers recently announced that owner Alex Spanos is looking to sell a minority stake to help with estate planning.

"There is no truth to the rumor out of Toronto that the Chargers have agreed to sell a portion of the team to Mr. Anschutz," Chargers attorney Mark Fabiani said in a statement late Tuesday night.

The report was on Fan 590.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Sorry San Diego but it's just a matter of time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    [​IMG]

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    So you think that they'll re-do the Q?

Green Bay is owned by the fans ..... the Chargers are owned by a family driven by capitalism. Guess who wins.

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The speculation is the Viking and the Bills.

The Vikings would like to see how the new governor plays out so this team is not as ready to move as the Chargers. The exit clause for the Chargers drops dramatically this year to a pedestrian $25 mil or so to leave. Anshutz is the devil.

The only thing that MIGHT save us now is to win a Lombardi THIS YEAR. That may force a synergy to get something done locally.

Here is to rolling the dice.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I think Zygi wants to keep the Vikes where they are. The issue, as you alluded to, will be what type of monetary support/reception they're going to receive from the public & local/state governments.

As for the Bills .... if Goodell is really serious about taking the NFL international, which I believe he is, they could be a good candidate to move to Toronto. Not sure if Canada is particularly interested in football but it could make for an interesting situation.

I still believe that the Spanos' family is still looking for a way out that will allow them to sidestep being the bad guys & put the blame on poor support from the fanbase, local gov't, economy, etc. What's a few million shelled out in studying prospective sites when you could possibly make bank in a larger market?

7. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    no telling, but if they move, I will become a Cheesehead

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    San Diego has had several years to figure this out. They spurned the Spanos' offer to rebuild the Q. Donna Fry wanted a park instead. Every turn the city council has stimied the progress.

The Chargers may leave, and the people of San Diego have their council, Mike Aguire, and themselves to blame.

You can only run into a wall so long before you use the door...

9. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    LA: TAKE THE JAGS!! Do us all a favor and help Jags sell some home games out. LA Cougars...

• Like Like x 1
  10. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I'm concerned that if the Chargers lose L.A. they will look to move out of state.

I can be on board with the LA Chargers, I can't be on board with the Vegas Rattlers.

• Like Like x 1
  11. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I'll get on board with Vegas snakes way before I root for a LA team.

12. sdrocks

sdrocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    1090 said there's been some talk about the Rams moving back as well.

13. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,422
    I can get on board with the Vegas Chargers, but not the Vegas Rattlers.

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,422
    I'd get on board with the Los Angeles Chargers way before I root for the Vegas Snakes.

I'm indifferent between the Los Angeles Chargers and the Las Vegas Chargers, however. I'd be on board with either.

15. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    If there was ever a pro team in Vegas, there could be no betting on that team. If they ever went to a Super Bowl do you know how much money could be lost.

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,422
    Then move the team to Henderson. Or is that stipulation surrounding the whole state?

17. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    until a team moves back to LA, that will always be a great negotiation ploy.

Either give us what we want, or we are moving to LA

18. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    stop to consider that three pro football teams have called LA home only to leave.

LA comes in a close 2nd to the Raiders in SUCKdim

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,422
    Doesn't matter. I'm a Chargers fan. If they fail in LA and move again I'll follow them to their third (or fourth?) home.

20. BoltWalt

BoltWalt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    The problem is if the Chargers are sold to someone who wants the team as the primary tenant for a stadium owned by the new team owner, short of bankruptcy they are gone for good.

21. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I will not ever be an LA Chargers Fan. I am preparing for the worst case and have already made my choice of new team to root for if the Chargers move to Los Angeles, The Team is in my Avatar.

One reason for my decision is that there are Way Too Many Raider fans of LA that if the Chargers move there, all it will be is always 2 home games for the Raiders. The same goes for the Rams fans of LA as well. It would be a home game for the Rams. There will be way too many Road games at the Chargers of LA Stadium. It is way too hostile of territory as well for the Chargers to move to LA.

All that is my opinion.

22. Fender57

Fender57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    If (big if) the Chargers move to L.A., all they have to do is produce a consistent winner and they will grow a local fanbase.

23. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    No one is buying a team or moving to LA until they have approval to build a stadium.

24. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
  25. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Moving the team out of San Diego is the bottom line. It just shows how much greed the owners have, and how much loyalty they have to a city. If the owners are loyal to $$$$$$, then I hope after they move the organization falls flat on its face, only then would they realize how good they had it. But then again we have a city that will not support the team. Blackouts loom every week, and all we have is a bunch of people complaining they can’t watch their team on TV. Buy a freaking ticket and show some support! The owners will go where the $$$$ is, and it’s not here in San Diego anymore.

Why should I be loyal to a team that is not loyal to me?

26. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Bull crap! The Chargers have stayed in SD even though the elected officials have made it clear they are not wanted there. Look to the people you are electing.

27. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
  28. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The flip side is that if the Chargers tank and you have to consider the new owner will clean house which means rocky seasons until things settle, crap is going to hit the fan on a much larger scale.

I would keep AJ Smith and crew intact but you never know with a new owner.

29. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    The problem is the Murph doesn't have the big dollar luxury suites like new stadiums. that's where the money comes from, corporate sponsors. they get that, lower the seat price, and problem solved. Everybody's happy.

30. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Loyalty is only as thick or thin as your wallet.

I have said that phrase a bazillion times.

Guess what ?

Fans are already labeling you and me and other Chargers fans who are about to go nuclear over this concept.

Get ready to be called every name in the book by Chargers fans who continue to support the team.

This block of Chargers fans will be treated like a Raiders fans. Get ready because it already started.

I fully expect a poster to start a thread which says the fans of 50 years suck because they are living by a principle that they will not root for a Los Angeles team called the Chargers.