1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Not So Fast on Continued Success

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltsnow, Feb 14, 2007.

1. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Everyone thinks that the next coach is going to have a cake walk and can't miss. What if the players knew how to react to Marty and gave him that respect that may not be there with the next coach? I can easily see a new HC come in and try and instill his own personality which may not rub right with the players. Not to mention the OC & DC. I hope I am wrong in every aspect but players enjoy that comfort zone. And let's be honest.....It's gone. They now need to learn all over again what they can & can't get away with. Let's take LT for instance. Marty hardly played him in preseason and pretty much let him work at his own pace. Will that be so with a new coach? Do we need a little tweak here and a little tweak there? Obviously yes, but Gawd I hope the new man in charge doesn't tinker with the wrong parts.
    What if the new coach goes 10-6 or 9-7 with a team that just went 14-2 and should be stronger next year? I definitely see an opening for a let down and hopefully not a melt down.

Thoughts?

2. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    New coach is Mike Singletary you heard it here first

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    We either go deep in the playoffs next year or the SOB is FIRED. :helm1:

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    How does "It's not as bad as it looks because of the tremendous amount of talent on the team" translate to "It's going to be a cakewalk and can't miss" ? :icon_huh:

5. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I hope not I don't think he's ready. :no:

6. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I could warm up to this pick real quickly. He would be on the verge of jacking somebodies **** up if they got out of line and has the stones to do it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Do the people who are thinking this way (that the team could have problems with a new coach) ever stop to consider that it wasn't exactly a lock that we were going to repeat the success of this year after losing 5 of our top assistant coaches and with Marty apparently on cruise control for his final year?

8. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    The major point that is being made is that this team is the best team talent wise and is ready to win now. The cakewalk comment is more based on the fact that someone is coming into a situation that has them coaching the team with the best record in 2006, all of it's probowl players signed and the majority of starters signed through 2009 or so. The majority of the time when a coach is new they spend their time rebuilding. We are already built!!!:tup:

PS: Dig your Avatar.

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    This is a dream job for a coach. A team not only full of talented players, but also a team full of good people.

The right coach will continue upwards where the last guy fell short. All he has to do is win the respect of the team, and we're gonna roll.

I think Singletary would almost immediately have the respect of everyone on the team. Dude was one of the baddest m'fer every to put on a uniform.

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It's sink or swim time, the ship has gone down. they either pull together or drown. :bolt2:

11. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    You're thread is something to talk about, but I think the players are professionals. Look the the interview of Antonio Gates ar NFL network. He would have liked th continuity of Marty but just one
    day after the old coach was dismissed he awaits the new one.
    When this new HC is a good one - which everyone expects - he
    will let the players do what they can best and don't try to teach them too much new stuff. I'm sure we'll heading into the playoffs
    and 1st seed isn't the driver's seat anymore.

12. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    I see it like you. The next coach will RIDE THE LIGHTNING

GO BOLTS:bolt:

13. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Absolutely!!!!

The way I see it, the Coach is "The man". Whomever is below him more than likely still has to answer to him. As long as we had Marty there was still going to be the consistancy in the end. But bringing someone new in well, the players have no idea what to expect from TC, to practice to winning and in losing. One thing the players talked about with Marty was he made it feel like a family. Now ask yourself, or maybe it happened, how would you feel if you liked your dad and your mom divorced him and remarried, you may eventually warm up to the step dad but it is going to be rocky at first.

14. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Blah blah blah. I'm sure Marty got alot out of these guys, but these guys are also supremely talented, and some of the most talented are young and still improving. Merriman, Castillo, Phillips, Cromartie, McNeill, Rivers, Jackson, these guys are only going to get better, and LT, Lo Neal, Gates, Hardwick, Parker, Igor, Cooper, Jammer, McCree etc. aren't going to suddenly forget how to play because Marty isn't there.

There isn't going to be a letdown. It's SB or bust, and we are once again going to be among the handful of teams with a real shot to win it.

15. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Dream job? Yes. But something has to be done to get us over the hump. I am in the majority the it is more than likely a can't miss opportunity the the next HC problem is, the new HC can't think that way.
    Singletary would be an interesting choice. Don't think it will happen but interesting none the less. As for all of these Tuna & Johnson thoughts, forget it. I say we go young (in age that is).

• Like Like x 1
  16. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I think you pose an excellent question, that I wish you wouldn't ask. Nothing on the board is more irritating than when 90% of the posters get up in arms about something and start being negative. Fortunatly, enough people were begging for Marty's head and now they have what they were asking for. So now it's totally necesary to justify the position that this was the right move, and hence, a lot of quality posters are finding the bright side rather than mulling over the potential drawbacks.

So there is absolutely a very real posibility that our new coach is not going to immediatly win everyone over and sell his new philosophy. But I, personally, prefer to see everyone excited and hopeful rather than b!tching and complaining. And please don't misinterpret me and think I'm trying to suggest that the original post is b!tchy, at all. I really wish Marty was going to be here for next season, but I'm certianly not going to whine about not having my way.

17. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    1) Super bowl champ
    2) Great teacher
    3) Disciplinarian
    4) Players coach
    5) Doesn't accept mistakes
    6) Professional
    7) Knows the 3-4
    8) Good talent evaluator and can work with AJ
    9) Not going to empty Spanos' pockets
    10) Can get the best out of players but the players have to be willing to work with him... he was working with dogshit in san francisco. Temperament compatible with the guys AJ brings in (self-motivators who love being slapped across the face before taking the field).

Did anyone actually think Jerry Jones would hire a black coach? Singletary is a diamond in the rough. I think Spanos is going to finally say 'fuc it' and let AJ pick whoever the fuc he wants and give AJ an ultimatum of 2 years to go to the superbowl :abq2:

18. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Agreed, except for the blah blah blah part. Coaches inject their personalities into players. With Marty it worked because he was very well liked by the players. They now have to deal with a whole new slew of personalities. Just because they are good and talented doesn't mean all is going to be business as usual. How many times have good players just not performed for particular coaches? Or even how many times have troubled players excelled under a different coach? I believe we will be successful in the end. I am just going to a little bit pessimistic at first.
    Hey, I'll be the first to admit that no matter how much the players loved Marty, some probably can't help but feel good that he is gone because some may have felt themselves that he just didn't have what it takes.

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Sometimes a step back is needed to go forward or certainly in this case the team is loaded for bear which makes any transition that much easier for the new staff.

We just need someone capable of driving the Ferrari without wrecking the biitch.

20. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Well, obviously if we hire a horrible coach, he can phuck it up. But you don't have to be Vince Lombardi to win a SB with the league's most talented team. There is going to be alot of familiarity with the coaching staff. Shelmon is the OC and many other coaches are likely to remain with the team--Nunnely, Pagano, Lofton, Ramsdell, Hunter etc.

I've always liked Marty and didn't really want him to go. But I have a hard time seeing the players "struggling" with a new head coach. There's going to be alot of continuity. The offensive and defensive systems are going to be largely the same.

21. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Trust me, I am excited. I believe in the end this will get our team over the hump. I just want everyone to think that this is going to be a transparent situation. I hope it is but the possibility is there for some rough going at first.

22. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    ATTITUDE.
    KILLER INSTINCT.
    BALLS.

Some would say Marty has these attributes, I say he does not. He can get you the date, he can make the first move on the girl, but when it comes time to ****, he doesn't seal the deal.

That's probably a terrible analogy but whatever. Marty can't win when it matters most. If the new guy can do that, with our talent? XLII champs no doubt. If not, we'll be looking for another coach.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    If that's true, why was it necessary for Marty to fire Dale Lindsey after the '03 season?

Marty wanted to bring in his brother as DC. Considering Spanos' reaction to that I have to think that was the equivalent of going out and re-hiring Dale Lindsey. Dean didn't have a problem with Marty bringing Brian Schottenheimer here. Whay would he have a problem with Marty's brother? Could it be because Marty's brother isn't qualitfied for the job Marty wanted to give him?

Also, I don't like the "father" analogy. Yeah, a player might say "he's like a dad" or things like that, but there's not really a comparinson between a kid who is emotionally immature having to accept a divorce of his parents and a player, who is an adult, having to accept the loss of a head coach.

I'm not saying there's nothing to the players' opinions or that it's not going to matter at all, If I was a player I might not be happy about this move, but I also wouldn't have been happy about the loss of Phillips, Cameron, Manusky, Chudzinsky, etc. There was going to be an adjustment-period regardless of whether or not we kept Marty. Might as well do it all at once.

It's important we get the right coach in here. There's no doubt about that. But if you believe these players we have want to win, then you better believe they'll do what they can to give the new guy a fair shot. All the new coach has to do is demonstrate that he's not going to try to change everything and is willing to foster that atmosphere of family the players enjoy and I think we'll be fine.

24. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Marty didn't wreck it he just forgot to put fuel in the tank for the tournament. Personally I think he's great at rebuilding **** teams and getting the most out of his players but I'll be damned if I had to watch one more implosion in the postseason. We were 12-4 and Division Champs in 04 and 14-2 and Division Champs in 06 yet got bounced by a weaker team both times at home in the playoffs. I've seen enough and I didn't even buy a Division Champs shirt or hat this year because it means dick. At a minimum I want a Conference Championship and I'll take my chances with a new skipper that isn't gonna beach the son of ***** on a reef 100 yards from shore. Despite the feeding frenzy in the media and on the boards I'm calm and confident knowing we'll get the right guy. AJ has to hit another homerun here and I learned a long time ago to never doubt a quality GM as every time I doubted the GM of my favorite baseball team I ate crow. Major crow. AJ has done nothing for me to doubt him as I was not happy when Brees left and I was wrong. More crow. I still haven't recovered from the loss to the fucin New England ****-rockers and the only way I will is a playoff win and success thereafter. Fuc the regular season champs bullshit- let's go get the hardware.

25. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I agree with the familiar faces that are still here but we have to hope that they will be liked by the new coach. Remember, usually the coach gets to hand pick who he wants. Just because they are here now, what if a new coach wants to bring in some of his own?

Just sayin.:icon_shrug:

26. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I never said a "kid". It could be a 25 year old man.

Anyhow.... People keep on saying that the new coach doesn't have to do much. To an extent yes. But at the same time, I'm sure that a coach will want to come in and do his own thing. If what we have in place is in line with the new coach then great, but I would think a coach is going to want to call his own shots. I can just imagine a coach coming in and AJ & Spanos telling what to change and what not to change.

Let me just set this straight, I believe we will be fine. I just don't want to get ahead of myself.

27. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Sometimes to succeed and get what you really want you have to leave your comfort zone and take a chance in life...you know what you have (Marty) and you've grown comfortable with it, but it really might not be the best thing anymore.

Change is scary but the only thing now is to look ahead with optimism.

• Like Like x 1
  28. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Well, these are things that are worked out prior to a coach being hired. Certain coaches will need to be retained or the guy won't be hired. I don't believe Dean and AJ want to start from scratch on a staff. They are going to require that the HC retains alot of the assistants on staff.

Our players aren't primadonnas. They are a tigh knit unit who will be motivated by the chance to win a championship and for their teammates. The only thin the coach needs to do is keep the ship steering straight. This is like when Barry Switzer took over for Jimmy Johnson. Barry didn't have to reinvent the wheel. He just had to allow his players to be great.

29. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Once the coaches started leaving and not one word was said about, I figured something was up. I can't say Marty did it to try and ruin the club but I can say I was starting to feel that way. Dean did what he had to do, Marty, IMO was dismanteling the inner coaching staff and it had to be stopped.

We'll be ok and we don't need to be 14-2 to reach the SB, we need a coach that can navigate the playoffs and win. Our players have to also be accountable for their actions on the field during playoff games, hell it's a bitter pill to swallow when there is no tomorrow.:bolt2:

• Like Like x 1
  30. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    In the end, that is what I am hoping for, our players keeping the vision within range. Let's hope for the best.:tup: