1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Note to The Norv

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Old School SD Fan, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13
    Stats are interesting.

Philip Rivers is one of the most sacked QB's in the league with 31. On the flip side, his average yards per pass lead the NFL. Conclusion? Could it be he's going further down the field than most other QB's resulting in some nice averages but a beating?

Last week we were insanely successful in part because for the first time this year Norv gameplanned quick screens, and shorter routes to get the ball out, forcing the D to spread out. Why does it take 3/4's of a season for a supposed offensive mastermind to grasp that we need to operate on a quick passing attack given our OL? Heck, why do you think Wes Welker leads the world in receptions every year and Tommy B. racks up his QB rating every season? Quick passes.

I seriously hope Norv sticks with what worked this week and drops the Al Davis offense.

2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I still think that Norv may be smart, but he is one of the absolute worst at making adjustments. It seems like he makes a plan and sticks with it, no matter if it is working or not.

3. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    is that why the Chargers consistantly come back in games in the second half?

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Stats are indeed interesting.

Rivers has thrown for 25 TD's 3 years in a row. A Chargers record.

However, fans will not give any credit whatsoever to Norv's play calling generally.

I find that odd and counter intuitive.

5. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Those types of statistics make it sound like Rivers is becoming a modern-day Fouts... Dan Fouts was a throwing son of a gun, but he took a lot of hits and sacks too. Just my observation...

Pointy

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Wait! You mean standing in the pocket gets you hit?

Who woulda thunk it?

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,419
    Is this a note to Norv of the offensive line?

8. Old School SD Fan

Ratings:
    +13

My point is I've been very frustrated watching Rivers under pressure most of this year and truly angry at the gameplanning and refusal to implement more screens and slants to get the ball out quicker. I have NEVER found Norv to be close to an offensive genius, I thought Cam Cameron was far more creative. MHO is Rivers makes Norv look better than he is by making a pretty incredible number of bad calls work.

I don't believe it was a coincidence that the KC game was our most successful and our offense was quite different than it's been previously this season. I understand Rivers throws one of the best long balls in the league, but it truly is not rocket science that you have to adjust to shorter routes and screens when your QB is getting raped & pillaged. Yet Norv has pretty much refused to adjust until last week.

And I can't accept that VJ being out there suddenly opened up the short pass and screens. A factor, yes, but we simply haven't been running these types of plays hardly at all before KC. I sincerely hope we stick with the repertoire. It works, and Rivers will last a whole lot longer as an effective QB.

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So old skool, how many time have you been the world chimp? ;)

10. Old School SD Fan

Ratings:
    +13

[​IMG]

Hmm, let me think...

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :lol: :clap:

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I understand the frustration however; the stats can be somewhat misleading.

Norv has become the most winnest coach in Chargers history or some crazy stat yet he probably has the largest following of haters.

I can not remember us having back to back coaches (Marty and Norv) and this fan syndrome of "I want the coaches head."

13. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    It almost begs the question, do the players buy into and believe what their coach is telling them, or do the players just believe in themselves? What the fans think doesn't change a thing about the product on the field. IMHO

Pointy

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The old adage comes to mind: Look out for Numero Uno so given that premise believe in yourself before you believe in anyone else.

Players parrot what the coaches say much the same way loyal company employees (legal slavery) toe the company line to include the walk and the talk.

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Should be both. The line needs to block better and Norv needs to adjust the play calling to shorter routes when the line isn't blocking like they should

16. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,419
    Agreed. I was just making sure the OL still gets their share of the blame.

17. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    My hate for Norv comes from him proving year after year he can't get it done. Every year we sit here with a few weeks left in the season wondering if we are going to make the playoffs. I sick and damn tired of it.

FIRE NORV!

CUT SPROLES!

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Rivers probably deserves some also (although only a little). When he is getting beaten up, he needs to look for more check down receivers rather than waiting for the 30-40 yard play to develop

19. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    I think Norv is smarter than most of us think. He always seems to be "testing" defenses. How are they defending this? How are they defending that?

We do seem to make some good late game adjustments..but the adjustments don't come very quickly, that's for sure.

That's part of the gamble of going deep downfield too...is that you're going to get hit more. But, on the defensive side of things...if you know they're going down the field...this can make you more conservative..because if you're one on one on the outside, and you blitz...that's a touchdown. So, like everything, it kind of goes both ways.

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I have not forgotten the coaching carousel we had here after Coach Coryell and then after Bobby Ross.

Damn it was massively HIDEOUS.

Anything less than a Lombardi is dogcrap at our ages. We are almost dead and every year we get closer to the grave, the more impatient I get as well to get it done or just fire everyone. I hate saying fire everyone because that includes the owner which means he sells to someone else who will get it done and that is another can of worms.

Our only hope as local fans is to win it all this year otherwise ..........

21. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    While he is at it why doesn't he give the punt return job to Cason full time too?.

22. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    No huddle would be nice too.

23. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    what about lining up one our big TE dudes in the backfield once in awhile

signed

1 cool guy

:D

24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    you would prefer a return to the days that we would say... "Well we can still spoil their season!"?

25. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Might need to rethink some members of the OL this offseason

26. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Exactly!

Its funny, people seem to think that we have to have 500 yards of total offense in every game and score 50 points or its a bad game. Do people not understand that the other teams gameplan for the chargers too? Norv comes up with plans to challenge the other teams, make them do things they dont want to do, and then take advantage of it as the game goes on

It reminds me of the two titans games a few years back. Fat albert was regarded as the best DT in the league that year. He was just tearing people up, so what did norv do? He ran straight at him for 3 quarters. It didnt look like it was working, but in the 2nd half, you could see Haynesworth was wore out, and thats when the chargers imposed their will on them. Was it pretty? HELL NO, but, did it get the job done??

Its funny that people here think norv is an average play caller or an average offensive mind, yet you listen to any ex player besides jerry rice, and they have nothing but amazing things to say about it. Listen to people who have covered the NFL for the past 20 years, and they all talk about what a great offensive mind he is. There is no better play caller in the NFL, there is no better developer of QBs in the NFL and yet people here think those two things are easy to do and anyone can do it. Id like anyone here to name someone better than him at either of those things.

I see people saying cam was a better play caller, are you guys serious about that? Sure he had his 2 good seasons here, but what did he do since then? What did he do in miami? hows he doing in baltimore?
    Right now in buffalo, he has a good QB, a great running game, 3 very good WRs, a very good OL and a good TE, yet they are 18th in ypg and 14th in ppg. Norv has had injuries all over the place, with only Rivers being healthy all year yet has one of the best offenses in the NFL, and people still cry.

I feel bad for norv. No matter what he does, people here wont get over the fact that they didnt want him here, and no matter what he does, people will always hate him since he wasnt their choice for HC and still hold on to their bias opinion from when he was a HC in oak and was. Fact is, hes the best winning %in chargers history, has the most playoff wins in franchise history, has put together the best offense in the league, has developed Rivers into a top 3 QB and sadly, hes done it with no support from the home town fans. pretty sad

27. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Then go be a fan of the colts, because they are the only team i can think of that knew from the day the season started that they would be a playoff team. Every team has to fight its way to the playoffs, yet you seem to think norv should have the division title locked away in November? Its funny, norv has made the playoffs every year since he got here, but now people are complaining that he didnt get there convincingly?? such a joke

Also, proven he cant get it done? THIS IS HIS 4TH YEARS! So by your standard, every coach who doesnt win a super bowl by his 3rd year has proven he cant get it done and should be fired? Well if the the falcons dont win the super bowl, i guess they need to fire Mike Smith, since he will have proven he cant win it all. hey baltimore, time to start over, Harbaugh has proven he cant win it. Basically, unless your name is Mike Tomlin, Sean Peyton or Belicheat, pack your bags and start looking for a new job

28. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    River's himself said that KC was playing the safety's deep which opens up a lot more that can be done underneath. Quick hitches and slants, not to mention a wide open running game. KC had to pick their medicine and it went down very bitterly, so Jackoffson did have an impact on the game and how the defense was played. Chud, remember him? was able to get the short game going with Jackoffson out there, just think if Gates was healthy what the outcome would have been. Injuries have brought this team down yet once again otherwise they'd be on cruise control and all would be wonderful in Chargerville.

29. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I'm sorry but I have to disagree. One of the reasons the Bolts offense is so successful is because of the vertical passing game. The supposed "change" in tactics last week was dictated by the fact that the Chiefs were playing off in coverage trying to prevent the big play. Part of this was because of the return of VJ. This is what led to the check downs and screens. The Raiders were another story. A large part of the Turds success was that they were getting quick pressure on Philip despite only rushing four. This was simply a case of the o-line getting whipped. You can't really gameplan for your o-line regularly getting beat by a four man rush.

As for short passing versus vertical passing, I think alot more vertical passing teams have made it to the Super Bowl the last few years than dink and dunk teams. The last time the Pats played in a Super Bowl, they threw it deep ALL the time.

30. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    In true Bolt fashion, passing sets up the run!