1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Notebook: Tomlinson a triple threat

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Sep 27, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Source: <a href="http://www.pe.com/sports/football/stories/PE_Sports_Local_D_chargers_notebook_26.8140749.html" target="_blank">The Press-Enterprise</a>

By Jim Alexander

SAN DIEGO - LaDainian Tomlinson exhibited all the facets of his game Sunday night, even some that most people may not have been aware of.

Put it this way: His passing rating for the season is way ahead of Drew Brees'.

A guy who hadn't been getting the ball thrown to him in the first two games not only caught passes, he threw a 26-yard touchdown pass to Keenan McCardell on an option pass play in the third quarter of the Chargers' 45-23 victory over the New York Giants.

"That was pretty good," Brees said. "Nice tight spiral, led the guy well ... maybe I should take some lessons from him."

Tomlinson said he'd practiced that play "four or five times" during the week, and was successful every time.

"I was thinking, what if we get in the game and I miss him," Tomlinson said. "I saw him and he was open, but I thought I threw it too far. But I guess the old man still has some legs."

But Seriously, Folks ...

Tomlinson got more opportunities Sunday because the Chargers' game plan stressed as much, and also because the Giants didn't bring as many blitzes as expected.

"There were a couple of different things," Tomlinson said. "We tried some quick passes, flaring out real quick, trying to get me isolated on a linebacker or a safety."

And with Antonio Gates (six catches, 92 yards) and McCardell (four catches for 80) getting open, it created opportunities in the running game, too.

Coach Marty Schottenheimer also noted improved play by the offensive line, which allowed no sacks and opened holes for 268 rushing yards.

"Maybe 'Martyball' isn't dead," Schottenheimer said. "It may just be asleep."

Chasing Eli

Donnie Edwards got the first sack of Eli Manning, early in the second quarter. The crowd of 65,373 ate it up, but to Edwards it was just another sack of just another quarterback.

Until, that is, you dug a little deeper.

"We kind of took it (Manning's snub of the organization) personally because we're the San Diego Chargers," he said. "I was born and raised here in San Diego, and it was almost like a slap in the face to us. ... We have a system set up in the NFL that the team with the worst record last year gets the first pick in the draft. You are never too big for the system."

More Chargers Notes

McCardell went over 10,000 receiving yards for his career, becoming the 23rd NFL player to reach that milestone.

San Diego's 268 rushing yards were the third best single-game output in team history.

Brees' completion percentage (.863, 19 of 22) was the second best in team history, behind his .880 (22 of 25) output against the Raiders last October.