1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Notebook: Tomlinson missing at game's end

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Sep 12, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Source: <a href="http://www.pe.com/sports/breakout/stories/PE_Sports_Local_D_chargers_notes_12.9127a43.html" target="_blank">The Press-Enterprise</a>

SAN DIEGO - Where was LaDainian Tomlinson when the game was on the line Sunday? Watching Drew Brees throw the ball to somebody else.

With four shots at the game-winning touchdown from the Cowboys' 7-yard line and a timeout left, Offensive Coordinator Cam Cameron didn't utilize Tomlinson at all. Brees threw incomplete passes to Keenan McCardell, Justin Peelle and McCardell again, and his fourth-down pass for Eric Parker out of the shotgun formation was picked off by Aaron Glenn with 30 seconds left.

Tomlinson carried the ball once on the last drive, a 7-yard gain at midfield that was wiped out when McCardell was called for holding with 2:28 left.

"They were bringing blitzes right up the middle and containing on the outside," said Coach Marty Schottenheimer. "They were bringing six or seven people and there wasn't any space to run the ball. The opportunity to win the game was there throwing the ball."

Did Tomlinson expect to get the ball in that final sequence?

"I can't answer that question," he said. "I'm just a player ... I go out there and do what I'm supposed to do. When I get the ball my goal is to make the play. When I don't get the ball I try to help otherwise."

Tomlinson had an uneven day. He scored San Diego's first touchdown, the 13th straight game he'd run for a touchdown to tie an NFL record. But he finished with 72 yards in 19 carries and didn't catch a pass.

"Usually he walks away from the game with a few catches, and that's partially my fault," Brees said. "We just didn't get around to calling plays for him because we had too much other stuff going on."

The Other Drew

Cowboys quarterback Drew Bledsoe surpassed 40,000 passing yards with a completion on the first play of the fourth quarter, the 10th quarterback in NFL history to do so. Bledsoe completed 18 of 24 passes for 226 yards and three touchdowns in his Dallas debut.

"I live for this stuff," Bledsoe said. "These are the kind of games that when you win them, it's the best feeling in the world."

Dallas rebounded from an excruciating start. Bledsoe fumbled away the snap to terminate the Cowboys' first series, and they had five straight penalties on their second -- three holding (one declined) and two false starts.

"We showed that we have a little resiliency and didn't panic with the start that we had," Bledsoe said.

More Chargers-Cowboys

Former USC star Keyshawn Johnson caught five passes for 65 yards and two touchdowns for Dallas, while second-year wideout Patrick Crayton caught six for 89 yards and a score.

The crowd of 67,679 was the third-largest home crowd in Chargers history and largest for a season opener.

The Chargers reported one injury: Defensive end Igor Olshansky sprained his right ankle in the third quarter and didn't return.

Linebacker Shawne Merriman (injured knee), the Chargers' first-round draft choice, was inactive.