1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NOTEBOOK: Volek wants to start, stay

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    BY KEVIN ACEE

This is an older entry by Kevin that I missed. What I find interesting/worrisome is VJ's responses and what I read as the implied tone. Understanding that you cant get a good sense of emotion or meaning from written text quite often...

Volek is a stay or go guy for me. I think a younger backup like Smith out of SF would be better, but Volek is no slouch when carrying the clipboard, but there is a big drop off between him and Rivers.

Good news, means his feet should be 100% (I hope) come next season. Gates is another player that needs to get his ring before he retires...

Not impressive, not enthusiastic... I do not have hopes that he and his agents will sign their tender...

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    if VJ doesnt sign the tag he's an even bigger idiot than I previously imagined.

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Lets hope that is not the case, and he just didnt want to talk to Acee...

4. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    He should be our starting QB as i have said many times. He is better than PR. He is an unbeaten QB in the playoff's and reg season. Unlike pr he can run for a 1st down if nec.

5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Volek better than Rivers? This guy is officially nuts. :lol:

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    BWAAAAAAAhAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! GASP HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Not even with Madden cheat codes...

I now see why all the teams ignore your 'valuable' advice....

BWAAAAAAAhAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! GASP HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

7. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    I never played Madden. Fools never listen to advice. There is a reason so few dominate.

8. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    [​IMG]

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    By dominate, you of course mean go on the internet and sing your own praises... Right?

Another reason so few dominate in the manner you do, is because it is rather foolish...

10. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    As usual, wrong. Dude, I bet you have a huge head, cause you got a lot of stupid information in there.

11. dizzle498

dizzle498 Bolts lover 4 life

Ratings:
    +10
    Billy Volek made that original statement about wanting to be a starting QB, then thought better of it mid second statement as he realized what he was giving up. "Whoops...I mean, I LOVE San Diego" as AJ stares him down. Hilarious.

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    First rule of trolling: Find the most obvious opinion and state the opposite.

It used to be bashing LT and saying we need to trade him. Now with LT gone and even unpopular amongst the locals it's shifted to Rivers.

I'm surprised it's taken this long for obvious troll to make the obvious troll move.

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    And will make not trading him when we had the chance even a worse decision

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Someone ban this guy already. This guy proves what a moron he is with every post

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    We can't force somebody to take him in a trade.

They were actively trying to trade him, no one wanted to make the deal.

Sure, in hindsight you can say it would have been better to trade him for less than his worth but that wouldn't have been the best move at the time decisions were made.

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    No. Not unless you think that AJ should have seen in his crystal ball that VJ would not sign a 10 million dollar tender, back in the day.

17. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    well Volek can run better than PR.

but I probably can too. Doesn't make me a better QB

;)

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    We had someone who was willing ot trade for him, we just said no because we wanted too much. If we end up getting nothing in return, all us fans should be pissed.

It was widely reported that he Vikes offered a 2nd and an additional conditional pick if he signed an extension with them. We had the chance, and said no

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Like I said, we can say in hindsight it would have been better to trade him for less than his worth, but that doesn't mean it would have been the best decision. Do you really think Jackson is worth only a 2nd and a conditional? I don't. But maybe I'm overvaluing him.

Also...did he agree to an extension? If not you can't really say we had that opportunity. (I honestly don't know if he did or not)

Either way, I don't expect AJ to anticipate somebody turning down a freaking franchise tag that makes him one of the 5 highest paid players at his position.

20. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    Name any NFL QB that has an unbeaten record in both the playoff's and the reg season besides Billy Volek? I remember him leading our comeback win over the COLTS when Rivers got hurt on the road in the playoffs, anyone else remember? Rivers wasn't doing it yet....I am also unbeaten in lans for real $. I expect ppl to hate me. Does anyone here go with math over their feelings? I honestly would love to understand why ppl like Rivers so much. I never did, even though he throws very accurate catch-able balls. I just don't see how he wins games for us vs just playing his position well. To me a QB has to have the ability to win a game when every one else is sucking around him. Which means calling/audible great plays or running with his legs to make things happen. He fails on both points. Tell me how I am wrong please.

A huge factor in being a great leader is being able to see talent or lack of talent. Remember when everyone flamed my over my request to start Tolbert yet now?

An average QB on the $uperChargers would have just as good of stats as Rivers in my opinion. Our team has been widely considered still to this day the most talented team in the whole NFL. Yet ppl blamed LT and not Rivers. LT is the NFL all time TD scoring RB. Rivers has what stats that he is #1 at? How many of you fans played football and think a RB is more important for a teams playoff failures than a QB is?

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It isn't hindsight when I said the exact same thing at the time. Chargers should have traded him when they had the opportunity instead of chancing it.

He didn't have to agree to an extension. The reported deal the Chargers turned down was for a 2nd, even if he didn't sign an extension, but would have brought in an additional pick if he did sign an extension.

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You are an idiot. Volek has played in one playoff game in his entire career, and that was when Rivers got hurt.

If you think playing 1 quarter of football makes him a great playoff QB, then you really are a moron

23. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    Only takes 1 play to become an NFL legend on a well coached team.

24. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    billy volek = good yes. but rivers = the best QB we've had since doug flutie and Dan fouts.. Rivers is a franchise qb that you cna build a organization around, volek is the guy that can make alex smith look like a great first round pick... im not knocking ya dude. BUT RIVERS WILL DESTROY VOLEK IF THEY EVER WENT HEAD TO HEAD. RIVERS IS EASILY A TOP 5 QB IN THE LEAGUE

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Yeah... Right... You mean like the guy who caught the winning TD in the SB a few years back and is now out of football?

C'mon... Does your mom know you are on the internet again?

26. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    Sports is about greatness. Greatness can be achieved by 1 play that all fans remember. Having a long average career on a team stacked with talent is a disgrace TBH. If i only won 1 World Championship in gaming my life would still be success. It's the 1st one that puts u in.

Ask your self this.... 1 final drive who would u rather have Rivers or Volek? Rivers failed the most final drives of any starting QB last year period. (Meaning last drive of the game and 1st half's not scoring a 7 point TD) How can my fellow fans not understand this is a significant stat. Volek has a way higher % of scoring TD drives vs FG than Rivers. Volek a mobile QB has never lost an NFL reg or playoff game. I take players like that any day. Even if i don't understand why they great i go with the facts and try figure them out later.

In summary, because clearly this is complicated to some: Rivers is on a stacked team and fails to score TD's. FG's are for losers honestly. He has all 6'-5"+ average starting WR's, the tallest in the NFL. He had the all time TD RB in LT. He has had great blocking lineman (3 Probowler lineman, 1 year 11 probowlers on same team 0 SB) that were build for pass blocking yet...........Last year #1 ranked D as well hmmm.

Imagine if Rivers was on an average team. He would led the league in sack fumbles is my prediction. He cannot use his knee braces to break tackles or dodge blitzers like Big Ben does and would be injured and that would be the end of this discussion. He would not get away with weak passes and jump ball passes like he does on our talented team.

It's cool he has kids and such. This is about our SUPERCHARGERS rising to glory and becoming #1 with SB's, not passing yards. Name 1 starting QB in the NFL who Rivers throws the ball harder than please. <---

27. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Are you just making up facts from thin air? Volek is 3-7 in his 10 career starts (all with the Titans, he's never started for the Chargers aside from the preseason). That's a far cry from "undefeated" in the regular season and the playoffs. That's 7 defeats... and more than twice the total number of defeats than compared to wins.

Evidently your not a 13 time world chmp at Math.

28. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    Chargers team only.

Please answer my questions I answered yours. Yea I'm not a math Champion. I'm a talented and amazing at strategy games guy. In fact to this day no-one has been considered close to me yet in video gaming strategies. B'B is amazing yet, he doesn't counter things near as fast as i do in gaming. He doesn't have enear the plays and strategies as i do to even be able to counter calls to ever situation. My time will come I'm sure, but for 12 years been #1 at what i do, NOT MADDEN game for those who are clueless. We all have our weak points. I'm not good at sugar coating clear truths. If I was more humble and political then yea, I'd be a better person. I've learned that most people are sensitive and weak. I'm not good at realizing this day to day. I grew up with tough football and tough coaches not like today's world.

Did u see Volek led our team vs the COLTS playoff win?

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Lets see... He has been in the league a total of 11 years, and has played in only 38 games...

last season, as though most of his career he played mop up at the end of games RIVERS had put away...

jacksonville, 0 passes attempted.
    arizona, 1 pass attempted.
    SF, 0 passes attempted...
    In his 38 games he has been sacked 49 times.

I find it humerous that a football genus such as yourself cannot see the difference between a starting QB and a career backup. Volek has saw action in mop up situations the majority of his career. Volek has started only 10 games his entire career. The person you are putting on a pedestal has not even started ONE SEASONS worth of games...

Also you might wish to put your vast intelect to work researching your facts...

Billy Volek / Chargers (10 starts; W-L record 3-7; career TD-interception ratio 27-15)

He has thrown only 25 TDs in his career, and 15 INTs.

Also, I question the knowledge of the game you possess when you start talking about how mobile a 34 year old QB is...

30. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    I see what I could do with Volek as an ex HC. I would surround him with the type plays & players that would max his abilities and i see winning a SB. I am a genius yes factually by my Chess championship i won. To see my vision u would have to let me call the plays and the speed of our offense and my type players. To look at our team present what i say is hard to understand for most ppl. My plan could fail as any could. I am going off my past successes in sports and leading teams to #1. U do realize this right? How can I not expect my ways would work since they always have? 1 person see's things one way another see's it differently who is right? I have to believe that since I have always become #1 at every sports and event i have led, that for some reason others just don't have the vision or the abilities to design systems that are amazing. I ponder this much. Why are so many blind to idea's that seem so clear to me that should be done. Think about it how many just copy off other coaches ideas vs making there own that work better?

What we have now is a offense built to gain many yards and do well, but no chance at greatness offense.