1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

notes from the game via blackberry

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by TBF, Aug 15, 2009.

1. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Quick 1st Qtr notes....

-Gates looks heavy and slow.

-LT looked Healthy.

-OL looked out of Sink.

-"D" looks good
    ........Burnett is huge!

-anyone who says Scirfes isn't the best punter in the NFL is on crack.

-Rivers made one bad decision on a pass and its was erased via a Seattle penalty.... It should have been picked!

Most of the negative is Offesnse and timing based....that is where I'd expect us to lack a bit....

More at half!

• Like Like x 2
  2. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    2nd Qtr highlites....

Gregorys hit was huge and instant highlite reel.... Watch ESPN is you were blacked out....

Floyd made a great grab on an under thrown Volek pass.

Starting OL looked better while in with Volek.... They didn't get much 2nd qtr time...

Lots of starters sporting the I'm a starter, played my reps ball caps on the sideline.....

Nate just missed a damn easy FG.... WTF....

• Like Like x 1
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Gates did look healthy and heavy but made some good catches

Obvious rust all around

OL didn't appear to run block well, they did pass block ok

LT, no problems there

Hart, nothing to see here. Gregory might be shooting up the charts

Martin needs alot of work, was manhandled by Rob Sims alot. But by the same token he shows some real physical talent and just needs experience

Didn't see much of Merriman

Buster Davis looked pretty awful and is responsible for an interception

I don't know what's up with kaeding, his kick offs were pretty decent.

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,418
    Preseason. Who cares?

5. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
  6. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Just got finished watching it. Horrible game by the offensive line, both the first and second unit. There were absolutely no holes in the running game, and while the first unit did a decent job of pass blocking, the second unit was just atrocious. Sad to see Shelton get repeatedly schooled by a rookie late round pick.

Charly Martin was great tonight. He made a ton of good catches in the fourth quarter, and he gave everything that he had on the field.

Hard to judge any of the runningbacks, because none of them had anything to work with. It was dissappointing when you consider that you'd expect your backups to at least have a chance at proving themselves on the field.

Overall, the defense did a good job. Ellison made a couple good plays, as did Cason. They had some problems in the second half, but the offense turned the ball over something like three times in the row, so they must have been sucking wind at that point. Martin actually started tonight! While he didn't have any plays that stood out to me, it was nice to see him get so much playing time. I still don't expect much of him this season, but he might surprise me.

Buster made some good plays in the passing game, but was bad returning kicks

Scifres was awesome

Nate sucked.

Brief rundown, will probably add more later.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Martin looked really good. Better than Davis. I rather keep martin over Davis at this point judging on what I hear in camp and watching this preseason game.

Applewhite played good. Near the ball. Much better than Tucker. At this point they look about the same in pass rush with Applewhite better dropping back and against the run.

8. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    GET THE **** OUT OF HERE!
    Everything about davis this preseason has been good, and until yesterday, no one on this or any board had any idea who charly martin was

Also, according to chargers.com,
    Seems like you have no idea what youre talking about when it comes to buster and are just a bitter hater that is still crying about AJ passing over what ever WR you wanted that year

9. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Exactly what I saw as well. I thought both lines were pretty attrocious though. The Dline got almost zero pressure all night. Football is a game won in thre trenches and I think we got pretty thoroughly trashed in them alll night long. Lots of 1st down runs for 6 to 8 yards. I am justifiably nervous right now we may not have improved on that side of the ball, but it is still early. I did see 91 Nwagbuo around the ball a lot.

Martin looks to be a keeper, though Buster also had a good game except for the pick he caused in breaking off his route for some inexplicable reason.

And yes Scifres was awesome, especially when you compared him to the backup they let punt a few times, makes you really realize how good he is.

It is only preseason but the thing that really struck me is how much we are a passing team now. We really don't know how to run the ball like a few years back. The DNA of the team has been changed. 17 of the 20 first downs by the air.

It was pretty hard to actually watch the game with this Seattle coverage as it they interviewed about 12 Seahawks on the sidelines all night long. They should leave the interviews for after the game so we can watch the football.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    ME... You can't miss chip shots and gain confidence.... He has all the physical tools, thats why he's in the NFL.... Missing an almost half ending 30 some yarder under ideal conditions is huge IMO....

11. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    One thing that bothered me. I watched the NFL Network feed which was showing the local Seahawks crew. They interviewed a couple of Seahawks who both said that one of the things that stuck out to them during the game is how much better shape they were in than the CHargers. That a lot of times the Chargers were "huffing and puffing".

12. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I got the same feeling. Hard to put a finger on.

The line of scrimage usually looked a mess. No push off the snap.

V. Martin was on his @ss a lot. Major pwnage. First game ever an near NFL speed (it is the preason). He's a project.

13. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I beg to differ - Charly Martin is my hero~

RE: Buster -- he looked good, but not great. It's going to be a tough cut when it comes to WR's and unless Buster can step it up in punt returns he might end up on the losing end. I never quite saw him hit that 2nd gear speed he has which was disappointing... it will be interesting to see him play next week to see if he builds on this week or stays the same.

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,418
    **** happens

better for it to happen in the preseason than a game that really counts.

15. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    True, **** does happen...

He got one shot and failed.... I'm a Nate guy, but I am really never comfortable when he is behind a CLUTCH kick.... In fact, I cannot recall a single CLUTCH, have to have it game wining kick that he has made... Thats because they are few and far between...

16. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Wow are you Buster's agent?

Buster was a top pick who is on his 3rd year. Martin was undrafted who hasn't played a NFL down.

Buster needs to look A LOT better than any non starter out there. Fact is he didn't 3 more preseason games. Hope he doesn't get injured, but Buster seems injury prone. Missing a couple of practices this year due to a sore ________. Isn't a good start.

Don't get me wrong I like Davis, he needs to show a lot more than all those rookies out there. Floyd, Gates, Chambers, and VJ looked very good.

17. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I think I must have been watching a different game. I thought he looked pretty good for some 1st game action.

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,418
    It's hard to live down the reputation, but the conditions weren't exactly favorable in the two playoff misses.

I doubt Adam Vinaterri would have made the kick against the Jets.

19. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Were you at the game? You can't see it on TV....

He was slow out of breaks and slow on tracking that deep ball. He looked heavier and a bit out of shape.... He wasn't alone but he is marquee....

20. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Wasn't at the game. Word is he is bigger as he had been hitting the weights in the off season. I expect him to improve over preseason. He still did have 3 catches and dropped one longer pass that he normally would have caught.

21. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    The game was shown on NFL Network, so those outside SD could see it. Plus I watched it streamed online.

22. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I think you're wrong there. I think the kick against the Jets was a 43 yarder if I'm not mistaking. Viniateri has made those before, in much tougher situations.

23. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Was on at 10:30pm Saturday night .. so I watched it then.

24. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Don't diss the Nate on ANY Charger board unless you are looking for an illogical conversation. Trust me.

25. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I do not like the sound of this.

26. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    It was raining like a mofo and his plant foot slipped like 2 inches - it doesnt matter who you are, your plant foot slips right before a kick it would take some serious luck to make that kick.

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,418
    Against the wind, in the rain, and rushed.

Vinaterri would have missed.

28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,418
    You'll get a lot of things from me in a debate, but lack of logic is not one of them.

29. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Thanks to NFL Network I saw the game on a Sunday morning
    starting 7.30am. My notes are:

weak OL - not getting holes for RB 4 sacks on Rivers
    so 1.DL of Ariz looked really strong
    Gartrell Johnson should be Nr4th running back on 53roster.

Volek showed how good he is to Floyd/Chambers etc.

2 lucky interceptions in the endzone make the differences
    Arizona's offense didn't get the points.

Keading at least got the 56yarder. I saw Martin only once.
    The other 4th quarter receivers were Banks and Tolbert (screen)

Paul Oliver should make the 53-too. But Hart losing the ball after the INT was bad. Osgood is only a special teams player.

30. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +504
    U got gamepass too Thomas!!, way to go. That makes 3 of us up early this morning watching!!. Joe was on in Switzerland too!.