1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Notes from the "Special Invitation"...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SanDiegoRon, Aug 10, 2007.

1. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    just thought I'd share my impressions from yesterdays meeting with Fabiani & Steeg...

Alright, here's my take and I'm glad I slept on it.....

First, I want to thank JoelBolt at Chargers for having me participate - I was very surprised to be selected.... :lol and of course, thanks to Mr Fabiani for staying after the session to answer my questions and to Mr Steeg for taking his valuable time to meet with us...

On a positive note - It was GREAT to meet many of the other forum posters - that was fun...

but the theme of the day for me was: Disappointment

. On the football note - I didn't get to watch much practice, as it was on the other side of the field... I wasn't there for that anyway, but they could've done a better job at getting us closer to the action...

. very little of consequence or action items came out of the meeting - I believe meetings should produce tangible results, this wasn't one of them...

. the bolts brass did an admirable job of telling their story... but being the cynic that I am, it smacked of towing the company line... and at times, the rhetoric was very redundant (same examples, same "bad guy", same responses)... it felt scripted...

. most of the questions were not answered directly and it left me wondering if I had asked them well enough... in fact, I felt embarrassed that I had to raise my voice on the question of whether or not the Bolts had offered to BUY the land at The Murph... bottom line, they did not and are not likely to purchase any land, becuase it doesn't "pencil"... (return on investment)

. clearly, there is a grand canyon dividing the city and the organization... IMO, ALL parties to any negotiation should check their egos at the door if anythings ever going to be accomplished... just way too much negative "vibe" exists at this time...

But for me, it hit "home" when Mr. Fabiani confirmed that the Bolts have ZERO interest in the Qualcomm site... now, I am sensitive to all the antagonism that has transpired between the parties regarding The Murph, but to me, a loooooong time SAN DIEGO Charger fan - I felt "discarded".... it won't be the same when they move, and they will be moving... damn that SUXX.......

... just one guys take... ...anyway, here's some questions I was asked to pose to the brass...

for Fabiani/Steeg (OCLightningBolt) - Have the Chargers conducted an "Economic & Fiscal Impact Study" to quantify initial and long term benefits to the host city?

I asked this question and didn't get a direct - Fabiani said "studies" are in the works and will be completed soon - whether they directly address your point is a TBD... personally, I do not believe the Chargers have sold the benefits of their organization very well to the general public - publishing the results may contribute to a better understanding or perhaps not....

What steps have the Chargers taken (or will they take) to (1) quantify the value/benefit of an NFL franchise in the community and (2) the value/benefit of a new stadium in the community? We hear a lot about the costs, but what about the value/benefits? Can they be quantified?

see above... the land proposals include development properties for office space, etc...(including the "second site" feature)... which implies jobs, but realistically it's income property to pay for the construction and provide weekend parking... you can take that either way...

Have the Chargers evaluated any stadium deals that were successfully negotiated by other NFL cities in the last 3-5 years to determine if financing or funding strategies used elsewhere could work in San Diego? If yes, what did they find?

Fabiani implied that they have, and I believe him - he just didn't elaborate...

Does the NFL provide any kind of economic assistance for financing/building a new stadium? If yes, have the Chargers discussed with the NFL?

now, I can be mis-stating here but if I took notes correctly:
    . the NFL has a program but it's essentially tapped out, and per Fabiani, was really intended for the big market cities... he guess-tamated 6-700k would be available to the Bolts but ONLY if there is matching funds from the city... (and we know what that means)...

for Fabiani/Steeg (EmmaPadreFan) - How much of the construction cost of the new stadium can be recouped from revenues generated by the stadium?
    (The other way of asking that question is to simply ask how much of the stadium construction cost is the income property expected to cover. )

per Fabiani: most if not all Clubs expect heavy participation from the associated municipality... which is why the LAND component is a key contributing anty from the public cofers... I believe Fabiani mentioned only 20% of construction cost is covered by stadium revenue, but clearly the "other" properties (office space etc) are a function of "penciling" that cost...

for Fabiani/Steeg (Harryo the K) - Does Fabini and the Chargers realize if they move they will be tearing the hearts out thousands--nay, I say millions?-- of Charger fans. What can the common fan do keep --really keep--the Chargers here?

You know Harry, this is my favorite question and I asked it directly... and I got a direct answer, kinda... short answer: Yes, they know if they move out of county there will be "tears", and to the credit of the Spanos, they have made a very strong commitment to stay in San Diego - I VERY MUCH appreciate that... but like shades of grey, it's how far out before we start weeping... for me, Oceanside is not home... many will be satisfied...

as to what us fans can do - VOTE for "progressive" and "competent" leadership in 08... in the meantime, make your voices heard to our representatives, by contributing your takes on sites like Voice of San Diego... obviously, the Bolts would like you to contribute to the North Country Times, as well...

*** I hope I have accurately represented the reponses to the questions - I would have preferred direct answers...

• Like Like x 6
  2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Nicely done. Props for taking the extra time to ask questions and incorporating some of my own questions. I had the opportunity to speak to several who attended and got similar feedback last night.

Anyway, job well done dude !!!:icon_toast: :tup: :bolt:

3. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Thanks

4. Gilded Pickle

Gilded Pickle BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Very interesting read - thanks.

5. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    What did the Chargers expect to get out of this meeting? From all accounts, it sounds like fans left the meeting ready to say goodbye to our beloved Chargers.

I would have thought that Steeg and Fabiani would have tried at all costs to leave the fans feeling the the complete opposite.

Was the intention of the meeting to show fans that the organization has exhausted all it can, and the ball is in someone elses court.?

TBF = CONFUSED.

6. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Awsome. Thanks. They should have let you meet some players and stuff. And it doesn't suprise me they were pretty political in their answers. They're not going to sit down and show their cards and stuff. Oh well. Winning a couple superbowls should help things out...

7. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I think part of the intention is to try to motivate people to take action. Politicians aren't going to hear people complaining about the stadium issue from the forums. We're all sympathetic to the Chargers in forum-land and because of that even if politicians do somehow read our views they will discount them as "what do you expect? They're Chargers fans."

What's needed is action from voters and taxpayers. That action needs to transcend the forums. Lots of people have been very forthright and passionate in the views they express on the forums. Not nearly enough are expressing those views to the people who matter--the poltical leaders of the city.

You gotta write a letter.

You gotta pound on your councilperson.

You have to be willing to attend rallies and in other ways take action. Why is it 20,000 people can come to the stadium for Fanfest, but only a fraction of those people will get out to a Save the Chargers rally?

I think a lot of Chargers fans have taken it for granted that "something will get done," "the issue will get resolved..."

It will only get done if we make it get done. And I think that's the point.

If the Chargers paint a rosy picture of how they're going to get a deal done, then all that happens is people sit on their keesters and wait for the issue to resolve itself.

Note: If Trumpy would try to stir up as much action to strike fear into the hearts of the politicos in San Diego as he tries to stir up while tilting at windmills in some vain "forum vs. forum" cause, maybe he could actually have a positive impact on something rather than being "the guy who turns Charger fans against each other."

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kitsune-udon

Kitsune-udon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    And here I thought it was the "progressive" leadership that was getting us into this mess. We'd be lucky to find "competent" leadership regardless of political spectrum.

9. Kev

Kev BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    :)
    I'm not superstitious, but I'm knocking on every piece of wood I can find. I can only imagine how this would be ripping my guts out if I still lived in San Diego. Maybe a championship team would change the calculus of this situation. I can only hope.

Thanks for the re-cap.

10. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Great stuff Ron.

It's going to be a sad day when they move... :(

11. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I'm not sure the what the intent of the meeting was... they have had "town meetings" in the community, so they do try to get in front of the people... they're just not very good at selling their position...

Fabiani was pretty animated at times, especially when talking about our "beloved" city attorney... :icon_rofl: so, this fan came away thinking they are "just done" with this dikk....:yes:

he has intimidated them, and NO doubt, they see him as an impediment to any "local" stadium deal...

btw, JoelBolt did get my boy Osgood to come over - he's such a nice guy... and funny too... latter they brought over Malcolm Floyd and Steven Gregory... so there was some of that...

but overall, I'll pass on the next "special invitation"....

12. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    OK Bros...

Did they talk about Oceanside and the chances something like this can get done...? Where do CV and NC fit into the mix...? Are they done, 100% outta the picture?

TBF

13. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    I think winning a couple of super bowls will help us land a home somewhere other than Diego. Just dont have a good vibe we will be in san diego in the future.

14. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    there was considerable talk about 3 pending sites... Oceanside and Chula Vista has feasibility "studies" coming out soon, to determine their suitability... Fabiani thought Oceanside is too small and requires a "second site" to be "thrown in" to offset construction costs...

the third site, I hadn't heard about before, and very surprising it is next to Petco....:icon_eek: ... he said they have had multiple discussions with Moores, so you never know... but, that site is in town of course, so it has the same antagonist waiting for them,...

strange....:icon_huh:

15. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148

I had heard early on that the Dock area that is south of the convention center and west of of Petco was an idea some time back...I believe the city owns it...

You can't beat the Downtown location...Very cool place (NOW), but my first thought was...Were is the benifit...??? PETCO already boosted the revitalization, and it's still in full boom...

But, there is still plenty of room for condos which would benefit the Spanos'. Everytime I watch a "national" Padres game, or when I watch on the net when the opposition has the TV rights, they have nothing but good to say about the park, the area etc...It's bigtime tourism pub...

TBF...For EXODUS

16. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Just a bit of a side track, and the story is 3 days old, but does this farking tool box want to be emperor of SD? Dude seems to be constantly trying to get his hands on the controls of more **** every chance he gets.

17. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Thanks for the update Ron. I hope you don't mind, but I went ahead and posted your notes on the front page of the site.

18. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    YEP!!... Fabiani said they LOVE the spot... and THE major benefit he sighted, from the Bolts perspective - very little "infrastructure" costs because that's already in place (trolleys, et.al) for Petco...

but that site could be the "silver lining"... perhaps OC/CV are leverage ploys... they wouldn't do that would they... kinda like having training camp in smog city...

19. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    does that mean I get your vote for City Attorney in 08.... :yes:

:lol:

20. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    According to Fabiani, the pool is tapped out, but if they were to put more money into it, under the conditions of the program, the NFL would match whatever the public put into it up to 10% of the estimated costs to build the stadium. The current estimated cost is upwards of 700 million, so Fabiani stated that he would expect somewhere around 70 million from the NFL. The issue also arose that any deal would be privately funded thus making this type of program irrelevant for the Chargers. However, Steeg responded by stating that the public costs are somewhat open to interpretation.

On another note...
    I have actually emailed Fabiani with some questions regarding Qualcomm, and I hope to expand on what I gathered and relay that to you guys in the near future.

Contrary to what I'm seeing from some people, they seem open to answer any question. If you have any questions you want me to ask, I can compile somewhat of a Q&A for Fabiani and try to see if we can collectively come up with answers.

21. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    i'll need a job out of law school at that time, if you win, can you hire me?

22. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    Run Ant Run....:lol:

23. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654

The forum vs. forum was not my doing as much as you would like to infer. This **** was going on long before I got here and I basically have kept quiet about the whole deal until last night. If it ruffles feathers because I am speaking my mind about what I am seeing and if makes others feel uneasy, then too bad basically. It is something which should not be happening and all these sites help support and promote the Chargers and this should be RESPECTED.

I submitted a list of questions that went into several hands last night and I posted them at Chargers.com as well. If I did not give a **** and was sitting on my fat slovenly *** doing nothing would give you something to critique but I got off that mass called my *** and submitted what I felt were important questions to me as a fan.

Can I ask you if you did the same ? :icon_shrug:

If you did then props. :tup:

Posting on a website is a form of action which reaches a whole bunch of people and affects those same groups in ways we can not measure. One post may illicit some activist to join the fray. I understand about getting out and doing the leg work but that is only one small piece of an effective actionable plan.

24. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Absolutely! :flag: :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  25. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Just as I thought the Invintaiton would be, not sure why anyone would expect anything different.

The Chargers have tried to deal with the city, however the attorney went so far as to attack personally the Spanos and others in the Charger organizaiton. After the months of abuse the City Attorney suddenly turns around and says he is ready to deal. He did all this on purpose, he knew the Chargers wouldn't deal with him and everything he has said so far is in order to soften the image of him being anti-football and sports.

However our beloved city Attorney is after one thing, political power. He wants as much as he can have with a goal of running City of San Diego and maybe deeper political ambitions. He is someone who I will do everything I can to get out of office.

26. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Thanks for your time and insight...Awesome! I feel a bit better now.

TBF

27. MMJ4mil

MMJ4mil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    interesting take ron on what Fabiani and Steeg said.

To tell you the truth Politics makes me sick...

watching the practices and the players made me happy. especially all the free stuff we got :p

28. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    well, we all have our own takes, based on what we hear... and I got a lot of info from Fabiani after everyone had left... when I pressed him to be a straight shooter, something I sense he's not use to being...:lol:

29. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    "Do you want Frys with that?" :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  30. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    ZACTLY! He thinks that being 'the man to save San Diego from the Chargers' is going to be his stepping stool to power.

F' him!