1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Notes, Quotes

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    While the Chargers have been lax about getting after quarterbacks DE Luis Castillo said the key is keeping rivals’ running games in check. “You look at what we’re trying to build our defense around and I think it starts with one (thing): stopping the run,” he said. “That’s something we struggled with early. It’s something we’ve done a much better job of the last few weeks. I thought we started the game great against the Bills. The next thing is getting after the quarterback. We haven’t played at our level. That’s something we need to make sure we get back to.”

The Giants played in London last year and won the Super Bowl. The Chargers are hoping to duplicate that feat. “That would be something pretty unique to continue to happen,” WR Vincent Jackson said. “I’m sure everybody would want to jump on the wagon to get over here next year.”

While the Chargers’ game against the New Orleans Saints isn’t their first one played outside America, it is their initial regular-season game on foreign land. Here are the Chargers’ other road trips to foreign countries, all of which were exhibition games: Tokyo, 1976, 1996; Berlin, 1994; Australia, 1999.

Before heading for Buffalo and London, the Chargers had a game earlier this month at the Miami Dolphins. All told, the Chargers will fly 15,771 air miles in October, which is more than 11 of the NFL’s 32 teams will travel in a full season. Here is a breakdown of the Chargers’ October ramblings: San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale - 4,536 miles round trip; San Diego to Buffalo - 2,196 miles; Buffalo to London - 3,560 miles; London to San Diego - 5,479 miles

Coach Norv Turner and his staff aren’t treating this week any different than others. While the players are seeing the sights, the coaches are seeing to it that the team is prepared for Sunday. “We’re grinding pretty good,” Turner said. “We’ve seen the inside of these meeting rooms. That’s (sightseeing) not the purpose for us. Tuesdays are always the long day for us. Monday we were like everyone else: trying to get situated and adjusted to the time change. We got some work done Monday night, and yesterday was a good day.”

After all this travel, the Chargers will get a week off with a bye. That timing of it will also help RB LaDainian Tomlinson (toe) and WR Chris Chambers (ankle) get healthy.

The Chargers have three divisional leaders looming on the remainder of their schedule—Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay and Denver. But the entire slate isn’t that daunting as the combined record of the nine remaining opponents is 28-29. It helps having two remaining games with the last-place Chiefs.

The Chargers have lost three of four road games this season. After facing the Saints in London, they will travel to Pittsburgh, Kansas City and Tampa Bay.

By The Numbers: 2—Seasons Chargers QB Philip Rivers sat on the bench behind Drew Brees, before Brees left as a free agent for New Orleans.

Quote To Note: “Man, we’ve been to TGI Friday’s, Angus Steakhouse, McDonald’s. That’s where we’ve been. We haven’t really tried anything else, really.”—CB Antonio Cromartie, on where he’s been eating in England for the team’s visit.

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    That's alotta miles.

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    In otherwords, screwed by the NFL schedule makers w/out lube.

4. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    Why do they feel the need to go to London, where football is soccer and the fan base hates Americans.

I'd rather pound a rusty nail through my left testicle than fly to London to crack heads in front of a bunch of drunken soccer hooligans. Even the bye week won't help after that trip. I hope you win or this trip will unhinge the whole season.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    they couldn't freakin eat at least ONE place other then american places

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Yeah, hella lame.

I'mma go to Mexico and eat at taco bell. :lol:

7. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I guess the boys didn't care for the tea and crumpets.....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    I wouldn't either, English food sucks.

9. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    theres a reason why theyre small people. xD i havent met a really really really giant person from the UK, not as far as weight, heightwise, oh man, theres some monsters out there.

10. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Yea no offense to english people but it really does. At lest in my perspective...

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That was my experience for the most part, too. I ate mostly Italian & Indian food while there. And fish & chips. :tup:

But the beer was wonderful. :icon_toast:

12. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Dooder,
    Quoting an entire long post when it's not entirely relevant makes the page more of a pain to scroll through. Respectfully requesting awareness and restraint.
    Word.
    -Enormo

13. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    I thought the beer there was weird. Warm, flat beer is the norm there which to me means you left it out of the fridge while open for a few hours.

I do enjoy a few good pints of Harp though! :icon_toast:

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I've eaten some very good English meals, in private homes that is.