1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Nothing new here - Chargers pitch restructured deal to LT

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Mar 9, 2009.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    BUT.................

The San Diego Chargers have presented LaDainian Tomlinson with a restructured contract offer, though it may not be a final one.

Earlier, it was reported (and ESPN confirmed with sources) that the Chargers had presented Tomlinson with a final offer in an effort to hold onto the five-time Pro Bowl running back.

THIS IS INTERESTING.................

Monday, the team and Tomlinson's agent, Tom Condon, both said that the parties are in the "final stages" of negotiations, but the latest offer is not "take-it-or-leave it."

The offer is for less money than the $24 million Tomlinson is scheduled to make by 2011. The terms of the restructuring are not known.

Tomlinson has three years remaining on an eight-year contract he signed in 2004 that, at the time, made him the highest-paid running back in NFL history.

Tomlinson, 29, battled injuries to his toe, knee and groin last season and had a career-low 292 rushing attempts and 1,110 yards. He has played his entire eight-year career with the Chargers, but he's been injured at playoff time the last two years.

His current contract, like many in the NFL, was backloaded and the Chargers are looking for salary cap flexibility.

"I feel that I need to make it very clear that I have NO intentions of leaving San Diego," Tomlinson wrote on his Web site in January. "San Diego is where my career started and where I'd like it to end."

Last month, the Chargers placed the non-exclusive franchise tag on speedy running back Darren Sproles, virtually assuring that he will be back for the 2009 season.

Sproles had been scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent. The Chargers tendered him a one-year contract offer of approximately $6.62 million, the average of the top five salaried running backs from 2008.

General manager A.J. Smith said in February the team had plans to begin speaking with Sproles' agent, Gary Wichard, about a long-term deal.

At the time, Smith shot down speculation that putting the tag on Sproles spelled the end of Tomlinson's record-setting tenure in San Diego.

"This has nothing to do with LT," Smith said. "Our intention is to pursue LT."

2. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    From KFFL... Positive spin at least.

Chargers | Tomlinson close to restructuring contract
    Mon, 09 Mar 2009 10:05:44 -0700

Updating a previous item, ESPNews reports San Diego Chargers RB LaDainian Tomlinson is in the final stages of restructuring his contract with the team.

3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Hmm...just reiterating what ESPN already said.

4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    D-DAY FOR L.T., CHARGERS IS THREE WEEKS AWAY
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 9, 2009, 12:23 p.m.
    Though neither side has articulated it in these terms, the practical reality regarding the ongoing impasse between the Chargers and running back LaDainian Tomlinson is that a final decision likely will be necessary before the launch of the team’s offseason workout program.

In San Diego, the voluntary strength and condition routine launches on March 30, three weeks from today. And so, unless the Chargers are willing to risk having L.T. drop a dumbell on his foot and miss the 2009 season and owe him for zero games the $6.725 million they don’t want to pay him to play in all of them, the team won’t want Tomlinson to be in the facility.

Three years ago, the Titans and quarterback Steve McNair engaged in a standoff over that precise topic, with the team locking McNair out of the complex and McNair being forced to file a grievance, which ultimately succeeded.

So we’d be very surprised if the Chargers and Tomlinson don’t resolve their differences (presumably with a divorce) at some point before the end of the month.
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    So basically..................there's nothing new to report

Figures

This is really starting to irritate me

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Why is it irritating you? Neither the Chargers nor LT have to rush this. LT already has his 2+ million prorated portion of his signing bonus. Nothing changes that. The only reason to hurry would be if LT is due a roster bonus soon. Otherwise they can take as long as they need to.

I dount we will hear anything before the draft.

7. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    If anything this quote from Condon leaves me optimistic that a deal will be done to keep LT in SD.

I didn't think I'd see him saying something like that. Sounds like they are close to agreement.

Hope I'm not way off.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928

Because I want it to be over with so we can focus on either grabbing some FAs or more likely the draft and resigning certain players long term

9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Now that PFT has presumed a divorce... we can all rest comfortably knowing that LT will be a Charger in 2009.

10. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    I see it like you db. They'll get it done and every side
    won't lost their face. AJ who saved some money, but didn't
    lose LT. and LT stays in SD and when he's healthy he'll get
    the 24Mio in 3 years, when not really less of it.

11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
  12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    This sheds a little light on the situation. Just no answer.

13. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    Chargers are in "the final stages" of negotiations with LT...

LT decision soon?
    By Kevin Acee

Posted: 11:30 a.m. Monday March 9, 2009
    0 Comments

Chris Mortensen is reporting this morning that LaDainian Tomlinson's agent and the Chargers are in "the final stages" of negotiations.

That sounds like something is coming soon.

And it probably always was. The Chargers put things in LT's hands last week when they made what was essentially their final offer.

Whatever is going on now had to be initiated by the Tomlinson camp. It was LT's turn to respond.

The thing to remember about final offers in these situations is that they are not final until they are really final. There is very often what A.J. Smith calls "wiggle room." So while the Chargers had made their "final" pitch to Tomlinson and the ball was in his court, it is no surprise there was talking yet to be done.

The fact that the sides are still talking -- likely at this point down to the structure of the deal -- would seem to be a good sign for those wanting LT to stay in San Diego.

First indication I've seen that he might actually stay! :yes::yes:

14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551

Christ almighty just sign the damn deal and lets win a ****ing Super Bowl

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976

CHURCH!

But i still dont think anything happenss before the draft.

16. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683

I don't think it goes beyond this week.

17. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467

Off season workouts start at the end of the month and if LT were to get injured, the Chargers would be on the hook for his current salary while he sits all year. IF they won't pay his current salary for him to play, they sure as hell ain't gonna pay it for him to sit.

LT will sign a restructured deal or be released before the end of the month.

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976

Betcha a bolt buck... :icon_evil:

19. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Here is some more.

Chargers | Will not trade LT if deal can't be made
    Mon, 09 Mar 2009 14:31:04 -0700

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports the San Diego Chargers will not trade RB LaDainian Tomlinson if they can't agree on a restructured deal. The team would release Tomlinson out of respect. The two sides are working on paying Tomlinson more than what RB Darren Sproles will make this season and restructuring the final two years of his contract.

20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It sounds like it's all bucks to LT, oh well it's his path to follow.

21. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    So I really do think the cap hit is worth it. Pay him 7 million and be done with it.

22. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

or,

sproles get signed for something shy of 4mil

LT gets 5

and we all live happily ever after!!!

:tup:

23. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Um, doesn't the tender mean he gets AT LEAST the average of the 5 highest paid running backs in the league i.e. $6.66 million?

24. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,806
    Not if he signs a long-term deal. He hasn't signed the franchise agreement yet either [not sure if it matters].

25. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,806
    The fact that they are talking and working things out seems positive. :tup:

I don't begrudge LT for asking for what's he's earned and what he's worth. I don't begrudge the Chargers for trying to make some room under the cap. Everyone is acting like big-boys and hopefully it'll turn out OK.

Football Gods willing heh.

It flat out makes me teary when I think of LT leaving... I'd give that man my last dollar if it made a difference in his decision.

26. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842

This has just been reiterated on Radio XX1090 here in San Diego by the Bleacher Idiots, that it is in the "final"stages. Both dolts dont think LT will return. Neither one are Charger fans. This is well known here.

They are now asking fans to call in on whether they think LT will return or not.

27. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    What Sydalish said.

At least if I understand (and believe) the stuff I read around here

:lol:

28. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746

people still listen to 1090?

29. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,806
    I can't do it in the afternoons anymore... I tried to give the clowns a chance, but I cannot stand it. I'm liable to ram someone with my car - they cause road rage. :tdown:

1090 is a joke.

30. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    I am spared having the option of 1090 where I live. I guess I should call it a blessing based on what I have heard about the 2 clowns hosting the show.