1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Noticable Increase in Charger Fans

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LaDeezie21, Feb 26, 2007.

1. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I just wanted to know if anyone who lives outside San Diego has noticed an increase in Charger fans. I live in Arizona and I'm pleasantly surprised to see so many Charger fans out here! There is a Charger fan that works at a liquor store that's on the way to my house and I made it a point to stop by every Friday during the season to get my Sunday beer and BS about the Chargers. Not only that but I see so many cars with Charger stickers out on the roads. It was nice to see all the fans especially after the loss to New England.

Has anyone else noticed this? If so what city do you live in? I remember about 3 years ago when I moved away from San Diego you couldn't pay someone to put a Chargers sticker on their car. And I don't think they're bandwagoners either cause it takes a big commitment to slap a sticker on your car. My wife sometimes hates the one we have on our car cause it covers the entire rear window and as cool as it is to show off your team when they win it SUCKS when they lose!

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    they're more active, more showing of their fan support and I definetely think part of that's because we're winning. When that happens of course you get more bandwagoners and quieter charger fans who start showing their colors. Fact of life.

3. Blackened

Blackened BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Not too many Chargers jerseys here in the East Bay but then again the amount of Raiders jerseys has delcined quite a bit as well.

5. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Always a positive thing IMHO .. :abq2:

6. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Not that our resident comedian Blackened would have noticed. :unsure:

7. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I always manage to get in front of cars with Raider stickers just so that they realize how much they suck.

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    The majority of fans of ALL teams are bandwagon.
    IMO... Steelers have the most solid fan base in NFL (because their fans are football fans) but if they went into a deficit as bad as ours or the Bengals... many would bail.

Might want to make a note of this, Blackened!

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930

Nothing wrong with some bandwagoners here and there
    Are you upset that the raider "ghetto-van" is so empty?

10. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    HEH!

Those look like former faider fans. Hell, the dude in black looks like Matt Millen! :icon_rofl:

11. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I think you guys will find this as funny as I do.
    My wife works at a local Jr High up here in the San Gabriel Valley as an instructional aid. They often have themed dress days on fridays to give the kids an break from the uniforms. One of the themed dress days they have is "wear your favorite sports team gear". The hillarious thing is that Raiders gear isn't allowed even on that day since it is listed as banned under 'gang apparel":icon_rofl:

For those wondering there are alot of soccer shirts, a few Dodgers and Angels shirts and my wife and one other employee in Chargers gear.

12. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Back on topic, yes I have noticed a definate increase in hats, jerseys, car stickers etc. representing the Chargers over the past 2-3 years. I live up here in Rosemead in the heart of the San Gabriel Valley, which was pretty thoroughly raider territory when they were in LA. It is still definately the predominant team that you see represented up here, but it has declined noticibly to my admittedly biased eye.:bolt:

:bolt: Lash Out:bolt:

13. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    No,

I'm still the only Bolthead in Michigan!!!

:icon_sad: :icon_sad: :icon_sad:

14. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    How many double takes do you do during the season when you see blue & gold Michigan unis being worn? :helm1:

15. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I seen a couple LT jerseys, but in SF, it is all about the niners.

Like BDH said though, they're hardly any faider fans out here these days. They are usually too embarassed to admit it anymore. Even the ones I work with apolgize for their team.

16. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I still see alot of Chargers stuff in La Jolla, Mission Valley and here in Old Town at TJSL. People still love the Bolts and are looking for a great year next year. The ironic thing is that all these charger fans, and those raider flags/stickers/etc have kinda disappeared.

AND the best of all, I know a guy who had raider nation stuff who is a student at Jefferson; he was sporting raider colors prior to the season. Saw him yesterday at the library, HE WAS FREAKIN WEARING A CHARGERS JERSEY (LT-21)! I had to run out i was laughing so hard!

17. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I heard on the radio that the Chargers are 5th in the NFL in merchandising, after ranking 28th the previous year.

Playing games in Prime Time, and playing well in them, has had a huge impact.

18. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Fuk him. Take his jersey off and kick him in the nards.

:lol:

19. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    not a noticable gain in spirit in sova. in richmond however i see alot of throwbacks. fuqin frontrunners make me mad, but we need em for that new stadium.

20. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    I find a fair number of Chargers bumper stickers, shirts and so on here in the Pacific NW. It's surprising to me because the closest pro football team is the Seattle Seahawks, but then, people in this part of the country are more into basketball than football. Anyway, I always make a point of saying "Howdy" whenever I see somebody with a Bolts jersey or hat on, and I wear my own stuff proudly no matter how we're playing.........I'm a diehard from way back in the Harland Svare days, when the fans used to boo and pour beer all over the coaches and players when they went back into the locker room after the end of the game. Those were some lean times, let me tell you!

21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Starting to see more Bolts gear here in NC but it's tough to find locally for purchase.:bolt2:

22. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Defiantly more blue and gold jerseys here in Vegas. Most of 'em still have price tags flapping in the wind. :lol:

23. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,930
    think that's because of rivers

24. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    No noticeable increase... but Chico does have a decent Charger following. A lot of SoCal'ers attending Chico State.

25. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887

I know it' because of Rivers, they show Chargers highlites on the local news now. The Skins and Boyz are pertty popular here, the Cat's are gaining gound though. College sports is more important than pro sports here, and being from Dago, thats foreign to me.:bolt2:

26. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Does that make a difference. They saw the light. That is all.

27. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    That's hardcore, Gal!! :icon_eek: :yes: :tup: :icon_rofl:

28. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Back in the day, we could only get the Skins and the Girls on TV in the Carolinas, til the Falcons cmae inta being.

29. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Partga the Tobacco Road mystique-college basketball is infinitely more popular than college football in that region, but with Florida State and Miami joining the ACC, the popularity is defintely shifting.

30. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887

Yeah we saw it way before y'all did, then, y'all went and wouldn't believe us.:icon_shrug: :icon_huh: :bolt2: