1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Now for something not LT: Defense

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Guys, if our D picks up next season where it ended this season.

#1 D baby. I have to say, I am impressed with how Cottrell and his players stayed with it and got on the same page. The history of the NFL is littered with teams that gave up insted of wrking to right the ship.

This is big. Far beyond what I thought the coach, and frankly the players capable of at week 7...

Good job D, and Cottrell, you made me proud!

P.S. next season rip Brady a new one.:tup:

2. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Absolutely. Over the last half of the season, our defense was outstanding.

I want to see how Waters and Siler compete with Wilhelm and Coop this coming year. Waters was a stud in college, and I think, fully healed, he'll be our next "Cromartie".

Weddle replacing McCree is a plus. Losing Florence is a temporary setback at nickel - I am interested to see if Oliver can step up, or whether AJ goes draft or FA for another DB.

We also need a heir apparent for Jamal - badly. Number 1 effing priority.

Things look very, very good for this defense. Bradley's addition and Cro's emergence turn this from a very good defense into a great one - and the scary thing is, they're only getting better.

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Abso-fricken-lootly!

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    big thumbs up.

I'd also like to see someone push Castillo

Seems like he battles injuries a lot

:tup:

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I want to see us get another proper safety. I don't know and am unsure of Clinton Hart being a great strong safety. At least Weddle will be a great improvement over Mcree

The big thing I'd like to see Cottrell improve on is making adjustments - certain games we lost we couldn't make the adjustments that the other team did. If we could do that then I know we could be the best defense out there.

6. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Just curious, but how is someone pushing Castillo going to prevent injuries? :icon_huh:

7. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...If they can't find a suitable replacement for Jamal, what about the idea of switching to a 4-3 with Shawne and Shaun playing ends , putting Castillo and Igor inside? I think the back-up personnel actually favors this more than 1 3-4. Does Ted have experience with a 4-3..I know that Rivera does.

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    bad choice of words.

I meant someone at or near his level who could come in for him without much of a drop off in productivity

9. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    From what the UT is reporting, AJ is going to look for another CB in the first round, and move Oliver to safety. Then in later rounds he'll look for a new backup RB and o-line depth. Nothing much was said about looking for a defensive tackle. Maybe the team is happy with McKinney and Bingham.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Bingham isn't a NT but a DE and comes in only on obvious running downs
    I have liked what I've seen from McKinney but there might be a better player out there (IMHO - Pat Sims NT Auburn or Red Bryant NT Alabama) who could be better backup NTs.
    And again I strenuously object to the idea of using a first round pick on another cornerback

11. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    And destroy all the progress our personnel have in the 3-4?

I'd rather stick with the system we've got. There's been enough upheaval over the past year or two - I'd rather not shuffle the deck again.

12. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Dude, that isn't scary, it's AWESOME!

13. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Perhaps. I think it's a problem though that's being created by DFlo leaving. Without him, there's no nickel-back, and I guess that the coaches have decided that Oliver wouldn't be suitable there. This leaves us without a talented DB to cover slot receivers, who killed us in the playoffs this year.

And I guess AJ thinks that Jamal has another good year at least in him, and with McKinney to back him up we'll be all right.

14. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Exactly. Not only that, but the 3-4 gives Indy problems, and it was effective against Tom Brady and the Pats last week. Those two teams will be between us and the Super Bowl for the next few years, we need to stick with what works against them.

15. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    This will be a very good D next year, but it's going to need a few tweaks to be a #1.
    First they must get tougher in the middle, in both the run and passrush...in many situations our ILB's don't get off there blocks fast enough to stuff the opponents inside running game...maybe Wilhelm & Cooper get better at this next year, maybe Waters steps in and becomes that big run stuffing LB we don't seem to have right now. We also need a better inside pocket push on passing downs, to limit the opponents ability to step up into the pocket.
    It'll be interesting to see what happens with McCree and Hart, but it might not be what you McCree haters think.
    I think Igor has got to step up his play. On many plays, he's being blocked five yards down field...in the Pat's playoff game, his mouth was allot bigger than his play.

16. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I'm with you here, although I think Luis is gonna make a nice slide into the middle at some point in the near future. Get him to the soul food buffet and he'll pork up in no time. Gotta find a beast 3-4 end in this draft thoough.

And I also think we need a bonafide wrecking machine at ILB. Maybe we have one already, but I just don't think Wilhelm is physical enough. Cooper is nice, I must admit he won me over. But I want an absolute beast (a la Ray Lewis in his prime) to step in and push Wilhelm either up or out.

17. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    I'd be ok with a corner in the 1st. According to Football Outsiders, the Chargers were 7th in the league vs #1 receivers, 1st in the league vs #2 receivers, and 30th against 3rds. I'd like to see that improve. It's not as important as getting a Jamal of the future, but it would still be nice and Brandon McKinnney ain't bad.

18. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    This is where Waters might be the guy...I think Cooper is fine, he gives us a good inside passrusher, and has made good plays against QB's, he's a good change up to the outside passrush.
    However Wilhelm doesn't dominate in the middle, and this is what Waters is supposed to be good at, big and tough against the run...he's had that extra year for his knee, maybe he steps in???

19. WeStrikeSunday

WeStrikeSunday BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Defense is outstanding and can only get better with Cromartie. I was actually surprised this year with Jammer. He really played well this year and great D on Moss... Its looking all good:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Too bad Foley had those legal problems because that was one nasty, mean LB.

21. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Wilhelm is a mack linebacker, he's there to provide middle pass coverage not necessarily to be an up-close beast. And Wilhelm has made outstanding progress in Donnie Edwards' old spot. You don't want two blitzing mashing beasts because that exposes you over the middle for pass plays

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

Exactly. Wilhelm is our coverage LB. But I do hope to see both Waters & Siler become active parts of the D next year.

Fat guys. We need fat guys with good motors & a nasty streak. :yes:

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Waters will prove to be the steal of the draft. Bank it.

24. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Then there's Jyles Tucker.

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Trust in AJ.:yes:

26. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    i like waters too, but dont forget about my boy siler, he proved to be a big time tackler on special teams this year and he was the D captain for the national champ gators

27. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Waters and Oliver are two players I look for to step up next year. They both have 1st round talent....now they have an opportunity. I just remember Cottrell lusting after Waters saying "he was a #1 if it were not for the knee injury" on draft day. Oliver was the #1 rated DB coming out of high school in the country. Now he is not a burner (which is why they will move him to safety), but he can hit which is what they need, a cover guy who can hit. I must admit though McCree did lay the wood pretty good on Reggie Wayne to help us beat Indy.....but he makes to many mistakes in coverage, and misses too many tackles to be a starting safety on this D. I would love it if we traded our #1 to the Ravens for Ed Reed!!!!!