1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

NT Ryan Pickett available and waiting for a call

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,401
    Will Chargers shop for nose tackle?
    In June, ex-Packer Pickett wanted Chargers to call
    By Tom Krasovic
    AUG. 24, 2014

Injury has sidelined two Chargers nose tackles this month.

A local nose tackle is available. He owns two Super Bowl rings and seeks a third.

“I would love to play for the Chargers,” Poway resident Ryan Pickett said in June from The Grand Del Mar resort, where he hosted a charity golf event.

Pickett, a wide-bodied 34-year-old, said “he’ll be playing somewhere this year.”

He was still unsigned as of Sunday, but nose tackle jobs may be coming open.

The Packers lost starter B.J. Raji for the season on Friday. Pickett is a former mentor to Raji who played all 16 games for the Packers last year, his eighth season with them. Green Bay went with younger linemen this year. Ironically, Pickett said in June that Green Bay's injury problems of recent years were vexing, yet predicted a big season for Raji, who moved from end to his spot.

The Chargers, too, prefer youth at the hub of their 3-4 defense. Starter Sean Lissemore is 26 and behind him are 23-year-olds in Kwame Geathers, Ryan Carrethers and Tenny Palepoi.

Lissemore (ankle) has been sidelined since exiting at Seattle on Aug. 15. He’s expected to be ready for the Sept. 8 opener. Geathers, the No. 2, was carted off Sunday. Carrethers and Palepoi are rookies.

Pass-happy NFL offenses are another employment challenge for run-stuffers like Pickett, who's 6-foot-2 and was up to 340 pounds last season.

Defenses want pass-rushers at all line spots.

“In the NFL,” Pickett countered, “there are always different trends that catch on, and now it’s the sub-packages and rushing the passer. But then it always comes back to the basics, which is, in order to win, you’ve got to be able to stop the run, and you’ve got to be able to run the ball when it’s playoff time.”

Alan Branch, 29, is another run-stopper on the market. The Bills cut him Sunday, a day after his arrest for drunken driving.

The Chargers went for youth when they beefed up their front last August and in October, adding Lissemore and then Lawrence Guy, 24. And last Monday, it was Doug Worthington, 27, who joined the injury-battered end group. The 315-pounder showed fairly well against 49ers backups Sunday.

Pickett can dream, though, of a Chargers offer.

“Ooh, that would be sweet,” he said.

2. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +521
    ;)

3. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...port-pats-cut-tommy-kelly-will-smith-anderson

The three players have started 295 games combined in their careers, but they appear to be nearing the end of the line.

Smith is no longer the pass rusher he once was, and he reportedly wasn't a great fit as a 3-4 defensive end in practice. Kelly, 34, was coming off a torn ACL. The Patriots are very thin at defensive tackle, but clearly they didn't believe Kelly was going to help them. Anderson was competing at a deep position and wasn't helping on special teams, according to ESPN's Mike Reiss.

Jus putin this here, it doesn't sound like this is anything to seriously consider.

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Any word on Geathers?????? hope the kids okay.

5. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    Can't find any news yet.

6. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
  7. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    One hole plugged. Now about that NT depth.

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    The Chargers were hopeful Monday entering Kwame Geathers' MRI.

They were relieved after it.

Geathers, found to have suffered a hyperextended left knee and sprain Sunday against the 49ers, is not expected to miss an overly extensive period of time, sources said. The second-year nose tackle was carted off the field in the first quarter. His knee bent awkwardly on a run play.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    I'd prefer to grab Pickett and put Carrethuers on the PS

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
  11. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    I'm guessing Jack already declared Geathers "dead meat for the season...possibly forever!" :whistling:

12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,609
    Oh by the way, the Vikings cut Derek Cox today.:coffee:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    Lissemore hurt, Geathers hurt, Tjong-A-jo out for the season, I sure hope they bring a vet in from the outside or through trade

14. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +223
    If only Vince had opted his way out of BOSTAAN! We'd be looked pretty right now.

15. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Thanks for the info. It looked like it could've been much worse for the kid and I was getting to like what he was showing.

16. Chargefwd

Chargefwd BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +57
    Just Shocking!

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,147
    I just find it funny to have the word Nose Tackle and Pickett in the same sentence...

18. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Who knows what may become available after the final cuts this weekend. One teams castoff could become TT's find of the season NT is the Bolts Grand Canyon right now and that's a pretty big hole. Just ask Hammering Hank the Unguided Missile. ;)

19. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +441
    Do the Colts like Kerr? are they gona keep him I wonder? he won't make it to their PS if they don't put him on the 53 methinks.

20. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    He balled out in Week 1 and 2 from what I heard.

We certainly need to make a move, doubt Joe Kruger is the answer to keep Lissemore at NT going forward.

Ryan Pickett and Aubrayo Franklin really intrigue me. How about that fella we cut a few months back Byron Jerideau? Maybe check in on him, bring him back in for a workout to see if he's 100% and ready. Daniel Muir is another guy Telesco is familiar with but didn't play in 2014, but is available.

21. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +124
    My guess is that there's gonna be a repeat scenario with what we did with Lissemore. We'll likely go out asking teams about a misplaced NT that is good but needs to be in a different situation (Kendrick Ellis comes to mind with the Jets, though he's probably a little more expensive than i'd like) to thrive, and we trade for him to make sure he comes here rather than just becoming a free agent.

22. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Kruger is an end, but he might be worth developing. Someone interesting will get cut, but this team never does what the fans expect at NT.

23. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Isn't there a rule about this upcoming cut and waver period in that it is conducted where if two or more teams claim the same player the more needy team wins out?? Hell, might be I dreamed that up.

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    No, that's actually true...... you can't be wrong all the time. ;)

25. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I thought waivers went down the line based on draft ranking?

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    Yes, that's what I assumed he meant by "needy"..... the team with the worst record.

27. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Then how do two teams make a claim?

28. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    They put in a claim for a player, and the one with the worst record wins. It's not like teams know which players another team will put a claim in for.

29. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Got it.

30. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +124
    Its not like the first to sign him. He's on waivers until 24hrs after he was waived. After that 24 hours is up, if more than 1 team put in a claim, the worse team gets him. Is that what your asking?