1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Number of Snaps

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Bigkdb, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Sep 23, 2012
    Here's the play breakdown from last night, source being ESPN:
    OFFENSE (Based on 61 offensive snaps)

Quarterback -- Philip Rivers 61, Kellen Clemens 0.

Running back -- Danny Woodhead 29, Ryan Mathews 23, Donald Brown 11.

Wide receiver -- Keenan Allen 60, Malcom Floyd 53, Eddie Royal 37, Seyi Ajirotutu 0.

Tight end -- Antonio Gates 52, Ladarius Green 24, David Johnson 9, John Phillips 7.

Offensive line -- D.J. Fluker 61, Chad Rinehart 61, King Dunlap 61, Johnnie Troutman 61,Rich Ohrnberger 46, Nick Hardwick 15.

<strong>Offensive analysis -- Mathews touched the ball 14 of the 23 plays (61 percent) he was on the field. ... Gates was San Diego’s most targeted receiver (10 targets), followed by Allen (9). ... Rivers was 4 of 12 (33 percent) for 98 yards, no touchdowns and an interception on third down. Rivers was not sacked on third down, and finished with a 29.2 passer rating.

I find that there are at least 3 changes that need to take place. First Woodhead playing more snaps than Ryan is not acceptable. They use Woodhead too much IMO. Using him as a blocker on third down and running the ball out of shotgun while the Cardinals were blitzing our A and B gaps essentially all day doesnt make sense. It's a throw away play. Also this make it easier for defenders to believe Ryan is going to run the ball when he does come in. Its very predictable. What the hell is the point of having Brown and Ryan's big bodies to block and run if we decide to use Woodhead.
    My second issue is with the snaps at WR. They could have cut some snaps from Malc and Royal. Most of the time Malc is gonna be cancelled out by good corners. He's not a spring chicken anymore. Getting more WRs involved may have Philip be less trusting in them but some wr on our roster has to be able to help Keenan. **** even try Inman.
    Last, my boy Gates. I don't know why we don't play LD more. I mean we aren't losing anything in terms of blocking having LD play more snaps. He and Gates are just about equal in my eyes in terms of blocking. Gates looks slow and sometimes uninterested in doing damage like he used to. Slow in and out his cuts and he doesn't fight for the ball. Love Gates but we should look to play LD much more
  2. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Aug 19, 2008
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Aug 12, 2006
    Dress Tourek!!!!.

(my attempt at humour)
  4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Sep 25, 2011
    Donald Brown getting 11 snaps bothers me. He should get 5 maximum. Mathews needs 25-30+ snaps a game, and Woodhead just under at 20-25+.

Other thing that drives me nuts is Eddie Royal's 37 snaps and Ladarius Green's 24. Drives. Me. Crazy.