1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Numbers show compromise in new Tomlinson deal

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    By Kevin Acee
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009

[​IMG]

The numbers on LaDainian Tomlinson's reworked contract are in, and they tell a story of compromise.

Tomlinson forfeited at least $6.125 million in potential salary over the three years on the deal, though he does have a chance to earn back $2 million of that by reaching yardage milestones in 2010.

Tomlinson, credited last week by team President Dean Spanos and General Manager A.J. Smith for helping the team create salary cap room so it could try to sign other players, afforded the Chargers approximately $4.1 million in cap relief over the three years.

As reported previously, Tomlinson will make $6.725 million in 2009, same as in the old contract. But $2.875 million was in a signing bonus, which means that amount is prorated over the life of the contract and saves the Chargers $1.25 million in cap room for '09.

Tomlinson's 2010 base salary is $3 million, of which $1 million is guaranteed even if he is released. There is also a $2 million roster bonus due next March, which means the Chargers have to release Tomlinson before then or pay him that money. Tomlinson can also make $2 million in incentives in 2010.

His 2011 salary is $6.15 million.

While Tomlinson was scheduled to make $24 million between now and 2011, he still has the potential to make almost $20 million.

“Being fair was what I was looking for,” Tomlinson said last week after agreeing to terms. “Not to really try to break the bank, just to be fair. That was all I was looking for. The Chargers have always been that. I didn't think they wouldn't be fair, and when it came down to it they were.

“(Providing cap relief for the team) is to get players here and help us win games. I've never been a selfish guy. The more guys we can have here to help us win. ... History tells us usually you do restructure late in your contract, and sometimes you don't get to; you end up getting released or traded. I was just happy I got the chance to restructure rather than be released or traded.”

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stor...tomlinson-contract-compromise172417/?chargers

• Like Like x 2
  2. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Kudos to LT for knowing he is not bigger than the team and being a team guy.

Here's hoping Rivers and Merriman are man enough to follow suit.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    It is nice but nothing new. Like when he beat the record for touchdowns in a season... I remember him calling the entire offensive line over to celebrate with him. The biggest words to the press... "WE made history!!!"

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I think peoples view of LT has been clouded by the fact that he has battled a few nagging injuries. The cop out argument is that he's getting old and he can't fight off injury, the reality argument is that **** happens and sometimes a 300lb linemen lands on the back of your foot.

5. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I love LT. I can acknowledge that he might shy away from contact sometimes, but really, I just don't give a ****. LT is the man, and has done so much for this team and all it's fans over the course of his career.

And his willingness to restructure continues the precedent set by Dielman... taking less money to stay in San Diego. This sort of thing only happens with the elite teams, because those are the teams that guys want to play for. But LTs restructuring is (publicly at least) way bigger than Dielman because everybody knows and cares about LT. Whereas most casual fans probably aren't paying a lot of attention to FA guards.

So LT really put himself out there and made a statement to the rest of the guys on this team by taking less money. Phil is going to have to ask questions about his personal values when it comes time to sign that extension. For all of our discussion about leadership and how this has become Rivers' team, LT really demonstrated some great leadership qualities in being willing to restructure.

:bolt:

• Like Like x 2
  6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I do appreciate he gave up a good chunk of change to stay in San Diego. He's got more money then God but its still nice to see a player for loyalty with a team give up some.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

There might be more reason for that than some of us might think... when your a hot commodity, you're also a bigger target.

One example is that there was one area by Camden Yards in the 90s where you could get all of the Orioles signatures except Cal Ripkin's. He purposely avoided that area and drove into the inside parking of the ball park. Fans were furious with him until they found out the reason for it... memorabilia traders were claiming they knew Cal, and were charging kids up to $200 to get something signed for them.
    You also have to keep a very low profile when you're a hot commodity on a team. Cause the press would love to eat you alive!

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    He gave us some breathing room no doubt but he ain't hurting and that you can take to the bank. The worse thing is, next year it starts all over again, does he stay or does he go?

It looks to me that AJ and LT set themselves up for a championship run and I hope it happens. LT want's it for himself and this city, I believe that and I give him all the credit in the world. I still know he can carry the rock and will be on a mission next year making it impossible to let him go.

9. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I believe LT haas a 2 million roster bonus due the 1s of march so at least the issue will have to be decided by then. I expect it depends upon how healthy he stays this year:icon_shrug:

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I believe he'll pull it off, I sure as hell can't see him going through another year like the past two. We should as close to full strength as we have been in quite sometime, which should lead to a quicker start and less injuries through the year. At least I hope.

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    While it's certainly true that LT has battled injuries the last couple of years, it's also true that very few backs remain highly productive after they hit 30. That's just how it is, especially for one who has carried as much of the load as LT.

I'm glad he's back. I'm even more glad that this was worked out without too much of a sideshow atmosphere & in a reasonably respectful manner, to all parties involved.

Hopefully Norv will actually let some of our other RBs get their share of touches this year. We have a lot of money tied up in that position - let the other guys earn their pay as well.

AJ - draft some fat boys to open up holes & to stuff the opposition's offense. All of the LT production in the world can't happen if we can't get their offense off the field.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Get Hester involved in the game!!! :bolt: :icon_evil:

13. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    QUOTE TO NOTE

"I'd rather work through the draft. I'd rather identify our own players and invest in them instead of trying to find players from other teams." -- G.M. A.J. Smith on how he plans to spend the extra money available after RB LaDainian Tomlinson reworked his contract.

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    As a RB. He isn't a FB.

Nothing new there.