1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Nwagbuo making a push

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006

Nwagbuo making a push

By Kevin Acee August 25, 2009, 11:51 a.m.

The need for depth on the defensive line and a phenomenal offseason could mean Ogemdi Nwagbuo makes the Chargers' 53-man roster next month.
    Nwagbuo continues to get reps with the first team at both nose tackle and end. He has played extremely well in both preseason games.
    With Ryon Bingham (triceps) almost certainly out at least two games and jacquez Cesaire still nursing a calf strain, the Chargers will likely go with seven defensive lineman to start the season. Even if they go with six, Nwagbuo could replace veteran Ian Scott.
    The Mount Miguel High alum, undrafted in 2008 and unemployed from the time the Giants released him last December until the Chargers signed him to their practice squad in December, deserves to be on the roster.

Shaun Phillips got mad at me when I mentioned to him a week ago that he has been among the Chargers' most dependable starters over the past three seasons. He didn't want to jinx it. But he does just keep playing. Yet again, he hasn't missed a practice this camp. That stands out as fellow outside linebackers Larry English, Shawne Merriman and Jyles Tucker have been sidelined at various times.

Kynan Forney continued to work with the second team at right guard, as they limit his reps as he works back from a muscle strain in his neck. Louis Vasquez worked with the first team in this morning's practice.

Inside linebacker Brandon Siler was back on the field.

safety Steve Gregory might practice this afternoon. He's been out with an undisclosed illness.
  2. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Dec 4, 2006
    Dear Bolt Brothers and Sisters,

Can someone with extensive knowledge of our d-line rate all the folks we have in camp: DEs and NTs, and those playing the hybrid DE/NT roles. Being a lighter guy on the scales, I've never paid attention to the trenches because I never played a position there. Please drop some knowledge on me.

Our starters for the season (barring any injuries) are:
    Jacques Cesaire - DE
    Jamal Williams - NT
    Luis Castillo - DE

Where does everyone else rank? How many D-Line men do we normally carry during the season?

Thanks ahead of time.
  3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Sep 8, 2006
    Ryon Bingham - backup NT
    Vaughn Martin - potential hybrid DE/NT
    Ogemdi Nwagbuo - hybrid DE/NT

I think last year we carried six d-linemen.

Williams, Cesaire, Castillo, Bingham, Igor Olshanski, and Brandon McKinney.

EDIT: I am of the amateur opinion that a NT shifting to end in a 3-4 is a lot better than an end trying to move into the middle. With only three down linemen those guys need to eat up blockers moreso than rush the passer. So I'd probably put three legit NTs on the field over an NT and two 'edge rushers.'
  4. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2007
    We're very thin on the defensive line, people have known it for awhile. One guy who a lot of people were targeting for us in the draft was Peria Jerry, but we took English instead. Hopefully it's the right move.