1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Nwagbuo to anchor D line?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by auctoritas, Sep 27, 2009.

1. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    OG has gotten better each week so far. He is well on his way to becoming a force on the D-line, one we need very badly.

2. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    We'll have to wait and see. The Dolphins still ran the ball very effectively, but the defense made some timely stops when it mattered the most. It took Jamal a couple of years to mature into a force, so we'll have to wait and see how OG progresses over the course of the season.

3. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Let's not bill him as the second coming of Jamal just yet, but the kid is learning and making some plays.

However, if and when he starts forcing double teams consistently... :tup:

4. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    OG shows a steady progression. Granted this is his 3rd real NFL game, he's sure showing a lot of promise. :tup:

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I thought he played well in the 2nd half.

There is hope...

6. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    This guy stood out in the first preseason game and hasn't stopped standing out since. He finds a way to get to where the ball is. I think we got ourselves a player there.

Watch out for him and Martin disappearing around game 10 though when their rookie bodies start to shut down. The season at Enterprize isn't that long.

7. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Martin has to show up before he can disappear. :icon_twisted:

8. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Truth. Seems like every year there is someone in camp who is a physical specimen and a bunch of fans go ape **** over him. This year it was Martin. People were gushing over him during pre-season. All I saw was a dude that was either on his *** or blown 3 yards off the line in one on one match ups. Martin is a non-factor at this point.

Would love it if he became the next Jamal... but I'd rather invest my money in a lotery ticket at this point.

9. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Unrealistic expectations, most realized that he is a project and won't contribute until maybe next year or so

Let's give him sometime, Jamal was not Jamal for a few years, remember him getting hurt every year? (after donks cheapshots)

10. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Not so certain I'll have to watch for that at all... Ron Rivera is already using both Oggie and Boone to keep their legs as fresh as possible. This isn't our DC's first time in this kind of dance and he knows what he wants/needs out of his fat boys.

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    ^^^ I'd like to see your guy get some PT soon too.

12. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Yep, there I go going absolutely Tom Cruise ape **** again by mentioning both rookies on the Dline might hit a wall during the season. I think it is inherently obvious that everyone on this board knew Martin was a serious project and many were and still are excited over the potential he posseses.

Seriously, what a lazy *** post this is. Glad to see you covered yourself with the "love it if he becomes the next Jamal" part. You want to call Martin a bust now, do it or STFU.

I did it with Buster after only a few games his rookie season and took a lot of heat for it at the time.

13. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    How does a 'serious project' (ie a player that's not doing anything at present) hit a wall? :icon_shrug:

Calling Davis a 'bust' after a few games really doesn't have anything to do with observing Martin's learning curve. Buster went to LSU and played a career of American football while Martin went to some Canadian Catholic Girls' boarding school. We all understand that he's a 'work in progress.'

But you're talking about him (Martin) hitting a 10 game wall. Doesn't he actually have to register a stat before we can hope to notice a drop-off in productivity? :icon_huh:

14. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Concur to a point but assumption is he will see more playing time. He is rotating in. Has a couple tackles. He will see more snaps I am pretty sure over the next two months.

I just get tired of people saying "some fans go ape shiat" type statements when clearly no one did and everyone that I could see was very guarded in their assessment of this kid.

15. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    That's fair. I think the assessment of and expectations for Martin have been a lot more tempered and realistic than the "zomg Jacob Hester > Lo Neal!" people were spewing after two preseason games last year.

16. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Two words: Big Mac.

17. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Two more: with cheese.

18. G-ForceSage

G-ForceSage BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Either that or the buffet line...

19. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The learning curve for Martin will be gradual for a while. Took Dielman some time to adjust to playing on the other side of the ball. Martin is a real beast, but without any technique. The one thing he has in abundance is intelligence. My feeling is that at some point this season his learning curve will steepen considerably. Until then, he won't be hitting any walls since he won't be, shall we say, over used? If "Oggie" makes a serious dent at the nose, then Martin will be real interesting at DE. He was supposed to mark time there until Jamal retired.

• Like Like x 1