1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NY Jets at San Diego Chargers: Three Key Matchups

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/01/ny_jets_at_san_diego_chargers.html

1. WR Vincent Jackson vs. CB Darrelle Revis: Don’t be surprised if Chargers QB Philip Rivers goes after the Jets’ defensive MVP despite his sterling résumé. Revis may have shut down perennial Pro Bowlers Randy Moss, Andre Johnson et al, but the 6-5 Jackson could be a matchup problem for Revis, who is 6 inches shorter. Revis will be tested down the field against one of the most explosive deep threats in the league. Jackson established career highs in catches (68), yards (1,167) and touchdowns (nine) in his breakout fifth season. His 17.2 yards per catch led the AFC, second only to the Eagles’ DeSean Jackson in the league. Revis has been vulnerable to deep passes at times. He rarely gets beat — Ted Ginn’s 53-yard TD in Week 5 comes to mind — but he has been flagged for illegal contact and pass interference penalties in recent weeks. Jackson also ranks in the Top 10 in 20-plus yard plays with 17.

2. TE Antonio Gates vs. Jets linebackers/safeties: Rejuvenated safety Kerry Rhodes may have neutralized Kellen Winslow and Tony Gonzalez down the stretch, but Gates is an altogether different challenge. Much like Rex Ryan’s plan against Colts TE Dallas Clark, the Jets top-ranked defense will have to play some type of bracket coverage against the ultra-athletic Gates. Put simply, no chance the Jets put single coverage on Gates, who led all tight ends in yardage with a career-high 1,157. He’s a matchup nightmare for every team in the league. Gates had an unheard of 14.6 yards per catch for a tight end en route to eight touchdowns. He also had 18 plays of 20 or more yards. Translation: Linebackers can’t keep up with him. Gates’ ability to exploit the middle of the field as well as excel on the edges could cause headaches for the league’s stingiest pass defense.

3. Rex Ryan vs. Norv Turner: It may be hard to tell who the rookie coach is in this head-to-head showdown. Turner has proven time and again that he can’t get his team over the hump. A classic underachiever, Turner has won the AFC West three consecutive seasons with nothing but parting gifts to show for it. His 3-2 postseason record with the Chargers is laughable considering the abundance of talent on his rosters in recent years. Ryan, meanwhile, was nearly perfect in his first playoff game Saturday against the Bengals. He may be a loudmouth, but he’s one win away from an AFC Championship Game in his first year at the helm. Oh, did we mention that Turner has a career 45 percent winning percentage in 12 seasons as a head coach? Not good.

One more thing: Call off the bulldozers for now. If the Jets pull off an upset in Southern California and the surging Ravens topple the No. 1 seed Colts this weekend, guess what? The Jets would host the AFC Championship Game in the final game at Giants Stadium.

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    This is kind of an unfair statement considering one of those three seasons isn't even finished yet.

And how is a winning record in the playoffs laughable? The writer is basically saying it's laughable that he hasn't won the Super Bowl yet.

I'm sorry. I don't care how talented your team is, the Super Bowl is never guaranteed.

The New England Patriots were equally (if not more) talented in 2007 and it took them to knock Norval out. (Nevermind half his talent being injured)

Last year the 8-8 record was laughable, but then one can argue that winning a game in the playoffs was overachieving after that type of regular season.

This year he's 13-3 and hasn't played his playoff game yet so what's laughable is including this season in an argumentative statement trying to point out how Norv underachieves in the playoffs while coupling it with the fact he hasn't gone all the way yet.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
  4. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    If we beat the gay Jets like 31-10, the media will STFU about the Jets.

All week it's been the Jets defense this, and Revis that, all over tv. I am sick of hearing about the Jets.

God Damn, if they were that F-N good they would have been better than 9-7, and won their division.

I'm sure if we blow them out, we won't get credit for doing that with our high powered offense, but the Jets choked or something like that to keep the story on the Jets. :tdown:

5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    They won't keep the story on the Jets if they get blown out.

They'll just switch to full steam ahead Peyton Manning love.

6. Masticore317

Masticore317 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!

:icon_banana::icon_toast::icon_party:

And next week, we get to fly under the radar again, as the Mediots blow Manning and the Colts all week.

I love it. :tup:

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    We've won the AFC West 4 times in a row. I think the writer was somehow trying to make the point the last three ended before they should have.

This article is just another East Coast nut hugging circle jerk.

:tdown:

EMBRACING THE HATE SINCE 1963!!

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Yes, but Norv was the coach for 3 of those seasons, one of them being this year. To call him out for not winning the SB in three seasons, when one of those seasons isn't over yet, is just laughable. Anybody want to bet what the Jets record would have been if the current Jets team had played Indy/NE in '07 and Indy/Pit last year? They would not won a single one of those games.

As for the "abundance of talent argument," the Bolts were terribly banged up in '07 and they still beat the Colts and gave the 18-0 Pats a run for their money.

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    The statement said Turner has won the division 3 times in a row, not the Chargers.

2006 was Marty.

So, either the writer is dumb for making the argument seem worse by including this year or he's dumb for thinking Norv was the HC in 2006.

I'm betting the former, though, because he got the playoff record right at 3-2 instead of 3-3 like it'd be if you included 2006.

11. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    The Turner/Rex argument is one of the most illogical pieces of drivel I have ever read. So, I suppose Dungy was a miserable failure before he won a Super Bowl, as well?

Color me unimpressed.

Such moronic nonsense.

12. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Get the Jetties from Big green Apple crushed like the Broncos last year at Q

13. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Lets hope we don't have to play against the guys in zebra stripes too.

14. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Count on it.

The only well reffed game this far in the playoffs was yesterday's NO/Arizona game.....the Patriots/Ravens game was also pretty well reffed.

15. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Good point, I just read that again.

What an ***-hat

:tdown: