1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

O-Line in the red zone

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Showmeyourbolt, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    What the hell happened with this unit? They used to just dominate defensive lines in the red zone, and now they get shoved around like *****es, not to mention the penalties:unsure:

They need an attitude adjustment, and Norv needs to start working some other guys in over the bye week. Newberry for Goof, and Shelton for Clary. Embarrassing that the Saints got pressure with a three man rush on the right side of the offensive line.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Mrzucowski for Goff

3. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    the offense and the O-line played well enough to win, I won't critize a unit that put up 30 points, had a 100 yard runner and a 300 yard passer (and no sacks)

4. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Good point(s). Better performance in the Red zone would have made it a very good game for the "O" line.

5. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    True, but no team (except the Chargers' opponents) is expected to score a TD on every red zone possesion, I do, however miss those easy 6 yd td runs from LT

6. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    One thing really pissed me off..

For the third time (that I can remember) this season, we had a 2nd and goal from somewhere between the 5-10 yard line. We call a run and only get a couple yards. So now, it's all on 3rd and goal, where EVERYONE on the planet knows we will be throwing, and the defense only has to cover 10-15 yards of field. We don't get the TD and settle for a field goal.

Seems to me that throwing on 2nd down, and then again on 3rd if need be gives us two opportunities to get in the end zone, where that 2nd down run isn't likely to get it done, and then we have an obvious throwing down.

I don't like that 2nd and goal run from beyond the 5. :no:

7. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    It worked the last couple of years, because LT was a sure thing. This year, I agree that it is frustrating. Maybe if LT is really getting back to form it will be effective again. When LT is a real threat, they can never sit back for the pass, no matter what down it is.

8. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    LT was in form today. It doesn't work because the offensive line can't man up and block against the eight man front in the red zone.

9. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    This has been my arguement the past couple of loses. All I hear about is our "huge" 6'5" WR and we don't use them where you'd think they would be an asset. :icon_shrug: