1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

O-Line

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MadMike, May 3, 2006.

1. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +473
    So with our new Beefeaters we picked up this weekend, and without the benefit of even seeing a mini-camp practice with them, whats your take on the starting O-line come September?

My hope is that Roman is healthy and ready to go by camp. I think Markus is a very smart OT who should be able to be on the line day 1 as well. With that being said, here is my hope:

Starters:

LT: Roman Oben
    LG: Shane Olivea (Prefer him on LG as he's a better pass blocker than Dielman)
    C: Nick Hardwick (With the addition of 20 to 30 lbs, this guy may turn into a fine center)
    RG: Mike Goff (Still the best Strong side road grader we have)
    RT: Markus McNeill (Starting from Day 1 and learning from Roman to take his spot)

Backups:

LT: Markus McNeill, Leander Jordan
    LG: Kris Dielman
    C: Scott Mruc#%&#%& (Seriously, how does he expect someone to spell that name right), Jimmy Martin (hopefully this guy works hard and makes the team)
    RG: Wes Sims (Leandar Jordan possibly as he has more size than pass blocking skills)
    RT: Jeromy Clary (Shane Olivea)

This line with the help of Brandon Manu Manu (Anyone ever see that movie Necessary Roughness where Scott Backula's Samoan roomate was named Manu Manu which meant "Runt of the Litter") should provide great blocking for LT and hopefully will keep PR's butt off the ground like they did for DB in 2004.

MadMike

• Like Like x 4
  2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Interesting take. I'd still love to have another talented OL player or two. That said, I do hope Oben is heathy, but I have my doubts whether he will be. If 100% heathly I'd put Oben at LT. LG I'd give Deilman the nod over Goff. I've never thought Goff stood out at all. He's a guard, nothing less, nothing more. I don't see anyone better at center on the roster than Hardwick. I agreed that he needs beef, as he was undersized last season. Love his mean streak though. I'd place Shane at RG. He could reallt excel there. McNeil at RT. This kid has skillz, but I'm not sure I want him on Rivers blind side yet.

Other than that, just want more quality depth at OL. Defense might win championships, But dynasties start with a great OL. It's the foundation for everything your offense does.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,208
    Great post MM! Welcome to the forum!

4. CrmWestwood

CrmWestwood BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +43
    yea welcome to the forum!!!
    In Chargers we trust!!!

• Like Like x 3
  5. ChargerBoy

ChargerBoy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Call me crasy, but I think Jeromy Clary has a lot of potential. I have been reading that he was the only bright spot on the KSU offense last year. Depending on how Olivea does, I wouldn't mind seeing this guy at RT.

But I see our starters like this:

RT-Roman Oben
    RG-Mike Goff
    C-Nick Hardwick
    LG-Kris Deilman
    LT-Marcus McNeill

I know thats very unrealsitic, but I think Roman is not quick enough to handle the speed guys anymore. A more realistic line would be:

RT-Shane Olivea
    RG-Mike Goff
    C-Nick Hardwick
    LG-Kris Deilman
    LT-Roman Oben

(Our basic lineman stay put.)

• Like Like x 4
  6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    LT: Marcus McNeil
    LG: Kris Dielman
    C: Scott Mrzucowski (Hardwick will get injured, Mrzu will take over and thrive)
    RG: Shane Olivea
    RT: Roman Oben

7. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    First game:

LT Oben
    LG Dielman
    C Hardwick
    RG Goff
    RT Jordan

9th game
    LT Mcneill
    LG Dielman
    C Hardwick
    RG Goff
    RT Oben.

Out best o-lineman next season will be Hardwick. He will be a first alternate to the ProBowl and will become recognized as the leader of the o-line.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    You mean to tell me Leander Jordan beat out Shane Olivea????
    I'd sooner believe Jerome Clary beat out Olivea after Olivea beat out Goff

9. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Just remember to give me my props when it happens. :tup:

10. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,632
    if that happens i'll buy you a drink