1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Oakland Team To Beat in AFC West?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by NORV4LIFE, Sep 26, 2011.

1. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Has this team regressed? Should we now be concerned about the raiders. They ran all over the jets defense. They absolutely man handled them. They will probably beat up on the pats too. How will we compete with this physical of a running team if we continue to play the way we have. If we have 3 turnovers we will be bludgeoned by the raiders. This is embarrassing. We need a coach that coaches a physical dominating team again like marty, not a coach that trains our players to be a bunch of soft pansies that can't hold onto the ball.

2. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    You started the thread off well discussing the concerns about how good the Raiders are, and yes, I am concerned that they are going to run a train on us. We have some time until we have to play them so hopefully we can fix a few of the glaring issues on this team.

But can we not turn this into how much you hate Norv? Maybe we need one sticky thread in this forum to hold ALL the Norv talk; good or bad.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I'll just say that I am glad we are playing them in the second half of the season instead of right now. I still think we are a better team, but if we played right now I'd be worried.

4. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    They're irrelevant to what this team does until Monday, November 7th.

5. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    That date is closer than you think.

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Say remind me... What was your log in name before you made all your anit-Norv predictions, lost the bet and had to change your screen name to Norv4Life?

Just remind me because that was a shining moment when you had to log on and accept what you bargained for...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    That's what they did at chargers.com. (good idea) One big bin for all of the trash. It certainly cuts down on all of the clutter and makes the main board more readable for those who don't happen to be attention seeking whores.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,805
    But it's not next week.

The most important game of the year is THIS SUNDAY. One game at a time.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Bring back the ACF.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Raiders look tough. Tougher than the Chargers at the moment, hate to say.

12. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,726
    How do you know that the Rayders are going to beat up on the Patsies? Sounds like just a lot of negativity to try and make your point that you hate your namesake.

13. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    That would be awesome! All the whining and bellyaching, and the "look at me I'm the guy who hates Norv the most" crap can all be in one place. Stellar idea!

14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Offense: It all comes down to blocking their front 4, and exposing the lack of talent in the secondary.
    Defense: Contain McFadden. Treat the Raiders just like the Vikings with AP.

All bias aside, and putting off "over reaction Monday", I'm not sold on the Raiders yet.....or the Bills.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    i know you ask 100 people you may get 100 different answers, but to those who root against their own head coach and even team, if that coach (norv in this case) goes on to win the superbowl, would you give him due credit or claim the team won despite him. Is there ANYTHING a coach can do, or are they automatically death sentenced by the fan who does not like them.

16. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I sure as hell don't root against Norv. Every Sunday afternoon I pray to see it just click for him, to see an inspired team play 4 full quarters, or a RUNNING GAME, and every Sunday night I'm bitching about the same problems as last week. Norv may be a passionant guy, but it sure doesn't show when we continue to **** up the little things like snap counts, route assignments, blocking assignments, and what seems to be a complete lack plays drawn up for the redzone.

You don't see that from well coached teams stocked full of veterans.

To be fair the running game is starting to come back little by little, but its still inconsistant and uncreative.

17. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I like Michael Bush.

18. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    So did AJ......... #imjustsaying ;)

19. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    You see people exaggerate early season performances like this all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Three weeks in, the Raiders look to be more in-sync than the Chargers. Their next game against the Patriots should be a good indicator as it is a common opponent and a quality team that we have already played against. Hopefully the Chargers will have gotten their act together by the time the Raiders get here in early November. It promises to be a real battle.

21. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I just don't like to use the Patriots as a yard stick, the fact is they're one dimentional on offense and horrid on defense.

IMO we could have and probably SHOULD have beat them last week. But combine Rivers uncharacteristically bad start with Manuksy's childlike stupidity and we just got out gunned.

• Like Like x 1
  22. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    Not really, we have the Dolphins, the Broncos, the Jets, the Chiefs again, the Packers and finally we play the Raiders. We have 5 games until then, so let's not look past anyone okay?

23. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    [​IMG]
    Explains N4L

24. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    I think the Raiders are better than anyone gave them credit. They are playing hard nosed football. They have the old swagger back.
    Their passing game is nothing to brag about, they average about 150 to 170 yds a game. Of course most of their WR's are out with injury. They are winning with defense, and RB Darren McFadden running wild. The thing is there offense is looking like it's built on McFadden, who is injury prone. He goes out, can Bush get the same production? I doubt it. So this teams offense is one injury away from falling back from where it is. Then the defense will have to carry the team. But relying on McFadden to get hurt and miss significant time is not a sure thing. So i feel the jury is still out on the Raiders. It's always hard for any team to play in Oakland. The question to be answered is how they will look as the season progresses. They play the Pats Sunday, this will be a big yardstick on where the Raiders are, and if we need to be truely worried as Chargers fans. They beat the Jets, and the Pats that is impressive. I know the Pats defense is awful, but Tom Brady is still a good QB. He doesn't often lose 2 games in a row. So far the Raiders are the only team in the West we need be concerned with.

25. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Yeah but lets not get carried away. They get New England this week and Houston next week, it won't shock anybody if they lose both and fall to 2-3 and the hype just stops.

26. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    Oh, I agree. The thing is they were a decent team last year. At least against the AFC West. I can only see them as an obstacle in our path. I myself don't see how they can keep winning with no real passing game. Darren McFadden is good, but he is no Barry Sanders. And as I mentioned he gets hurt a lot. I think the teams that the Raiders have played so far, have a hard time stopping a good RB. Felix Jones did well against the Jets, as did MJD. I'm not sold on the Raiders, or am I anointing them a playoff team. I just say they are a threat, and should not be taken lightly. They upped their game against us last year, and won't be surprised to see them play the same way this season.

27. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I agree. They remind me of last year's Chiefs with the great run game, but unable to play left handed.

In fact I'd probably take last year's Chiefs over them simply because they had a good secondary (this is a PASSING league) and a legit #1 reciever in Bowe, as well as the great running game and pass rush.

In the end I'm more worried about the Chargers getting in their own way.

28. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    Yep, the Chargers have a way of doing that. The good thing is so far we winning early. Ugly or not. The key is, even though we make mistakes some how we are winning early, when in the past we couldn't overcome our faults and lost early.

• Like Like x 1
  29. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    Exactly

30. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,805
    The Raiders are most likely our biggest hurdle in the AFCW for sure.

Not only b/c they can run the ball but b/c they are down right violent on the field and really what do they have to lose? They've been a laughing stock as an organization for a decade and if they do lose some games it's not like anyone really went into the season with many expectations.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop their next few or win them - but one things for sure - any opponent they face will be hurting afterwards.