1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

OC/DC Search Thread

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Kj1551

Kj1551 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    YES

I wanted whiz as the head coach. This is best of both worlds for me

• Like Like x 1
  2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919
    SWEET

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    next up ST's?

Has it also been confirmed that we will retain Pag's or is that to be determined later?

4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    UTKevinAcee@UTKevinAcee
    Ken Whisenhunt, who might have been HC if Broncos had won last week, will instead by the Chargers' OC. He was sold on working with Rivers.

• Like Like x 1
  5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    If we retain Pagano and this Whizenhunt report is true I'll be extremely pleased with this GM/Coaching search results.

We still need a better OL coach, though.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    It's the only thing that has me hesitant about the Whiz hire - his ties to Russ Grimm. And yes, Russ Grimm is a name and was a HOF player. But he has also been Arizona's OL Coach and Running Game Coordinator every season they were under Whiz... and Arizona's OL was the only one in the league last year I could say was definitively worse than ours was (and that was with only one injury).

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Oh, I almost forgot! And now we get the chance to see Syd's father go all Raging Zombie! It's about to get Walking Dead in this beach*, y'all!

* Play on words very much intended. ;)

8. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    Be afraid, be very afraid! :eek:

9. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +473
    Awesome hiring. I wanted Hue or the Whiz. Now lets put out the statement saying we retained our DC and his staff. Then find us a solid ST coach and fill in the Offensive staff. I'd really be happy with them cleaning the slate there. Only dude I think I wouldnt mind see staying is Joiner.

10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    One of the most highly regarded candidates to be GM: Check
    one of the most sought-after head coaches: Check
    arguably the best available OC: Check

Now to fix our O line, secondary and a few other spots and we are good to go. So far this has been a great start.

11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I wonder if they may just promote Carlos Polk as ST coach, he was Assistant ST coach to Rich Bisaccia so he may have a good idea on how to be successful.

12. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Who will be the Asst. Head Coach?

13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Michael Gehlken@UTgehlken
    Some wonder if Philip Rivers still considered a top QB. That McCoy, Whisenhunt chose San Diego answers that. But they need an O-line.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    Nate!

16. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    ST Coach!!:abq1:

17. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +447
    Norv is taking Sullivan to Cleveland. Good riddance, maybe he'll take Clary with him?

18. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +447
    Must a team have this position?

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    I would have to assume Whiz considering he's the one with head coaching experience.

20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Eh... Ron Meeks could be let go and I wouldn't be upset. Arguably the biggest complaint I have about our defensive staffs (outside of Manusky's cluelessness) of late have been that Fairchild and Meeks are zone guys and too much of our talent fits a more man or press-man system.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,366
    Special Teams Super Special Playoff Consultant

22. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    I think some of that is also the fault of the GM, they didn't really try to draft OL in any real amount of variety, much like the Chargers but worse. And interestingly enough the two tackles for Arizona did show some improvement (Potter/Massie) before everything went to hell. I think Grimm is more about instilling a mindset into the players and instilling some toughness. Only negative with Wisenhunt is he might not be here past next year, he'll likely be another top HC candidate next year.

I love the hiring, I like Wisenhunt as an offensive talent and I think combining his talent w/ Mccoy's scheme and plan, the team will only get better. It'll definitely take some time to get things fully implemented, but I think this is the best pre-FA off-season the team has had in a LOOONG time. Credit to Spanos (both) and to Ron Wolf. After a horrible horrible end of the season I feel very optimistic about this team and the direction it's going.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Looking forward to tonights podcast, Im hoping I get off in time, if not I'll drop in at some point

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    Thats the kind of problem you want to have. If any of our Coaching staff is getting HC or Coordinator offers, that means that we are doing what we want to be doing by winning games and advancing in the Post Season.

25. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Always e-mail us with some thoughts and we will read it on the air

• Like Like x 1
  26. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,366
    Special Teams Super Special Playoff Consultant

27. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    It may be early, but I think we hit the Jackpot in the Front Office/Coaching Staff Shuffle. AND as a bonus DEN was the last one in the Musical Chairs dance to land a HC. Im sure they still have a few good choices left, but funny none the less.

All I really wanna see gone off the Staff now is that damn Medical Staff Clown Chow. the SO CALLED MD.

• Winner Winner x 1
  28. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    So Wiz is one and done?
    Not a problem I necessarily want.

- Alex Smith.

29. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +473
    Gonna ask a question here. Who the **** is impersonating Spanos? The Chargers front office was a no ring circus through the end of 2012. In a 180 flip, they fire the guys that needed firing, They hired an outside consultant to help find a GM and coach, they went outside the organization and hired a bright young mind for GM, they went out of the organization and hired a bright young mind for HC, they pull off a coup and get the runner up for HC as the OC, they look like they are keeping the solid DC in place, and now they promote John to VP of football ops in the first step to retiring Dean. Proof of alien abductions with android replacements? Proof that AJ had a hand so far up Dean's *** that he used to throw his voice and work the mouth? Proof that Norv was a sorceror and had Dean under his spell? Proof that the sun shines on a dogs *** every once in a while? Very suspicious is all I got to say...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  30. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    So im confused. Are you saying Ken will come in and fiizzle out in one year? OR that he comes in takes a downtrodded organization and dysfunctional prior offense and leads them to the AFC CHAMP game only to fall short and then be offered a HC gig and be plucked from our core? Again that is the kind of problem you want to see. Like having millions of $$s and nothing else to buy.