1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Odd/Interesting facts about Chargers players thread...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Joy Division, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +492
    Always cool to read an interesting article about something that we might not know about
    some of the players. Here's one about Keiser. I always just assumed he was/is on steroids,
    but chia is still kinda cool. Feel free to add an article or fact of your own. Yes, we can't wait
    for the season to start...

Panthers defensive end Thomas Keiser ingests Chia Pet seeds to remain hydrated
    By Jason Rowan on August 10, 2012@WeedVsSpeed

[​IMG]

For a reason known only to him, Carolina Panthers defensive end Thomas Keiser admitted to Panthers.com staff writer Max Henson that he mixes chia seeds – yes, those same seeds that came in packets that you mixed with water and spread all over your Chia Pet to set forth into action the transformation that resulted in the “Pottery That Grows!” — with water and drinks it during training camp.

Wait. What?

[​IMG]

Keiser claims ingesting the seeds helps him remain hydrated during those grueling two-a-days when the sun is beating down on the practice field. He totes around a gallon-sized water jug with the chia seeds floating in it (nasty) and despite the hard time he gets from his teammates, insists that he has stumbled upon a sure-fire re-hydration routine.

“People ask me all the time if it’s the same stuff that’s in Chia Pets. It is. I’ll have probably two or three tablespoons in somewhere between two-thirds and a full gallon of water every day.

“It helps hydrate you, because it absorbs 10 times its weight in water. And instead of the water just going in your system and flushing right out, it’s going to sit in you longer.”

While it may seem bizarre and unorthodox to ingest them, chia seeds have long been used as a foodstuff and are incredibly nutritious and have numerous health benefits.

Still, despite the many benefits, most of Keiser’s teammates nevertheless give him a hard time for ingesting the seeds made famous by those cheesy commercials from the 1980s and equally cheesy terracotta figurines. Said Keiser: “Most of the guys think I’m pretty weird for carrying that around. I just keep telling them it’s like Mike’s Magic Juice in ‘Space Jam’.”

Fair enough. But if Keiser wakes up one day and has sprouts emerging out of his scalp, well, honestly, that would be pretty cool. Ch-ch-ch-Chia!

2. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    That's definitely the description of unorthodox.

Or at least it should be.

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +222
    Explains the chi-chi charges against him.

4. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +456
    I have chia seeds every day in my morning smoothie. You mix them in with your fruit and ice and it adds fiber and protein to your diet.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,141
    Last thing anyone would need is bean sprouts growing out of their a#$...

6. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    Love chia seeds, they make an excellent healthy alternative to tapioca pudding when soaked in coconut milk. Great add-in for smoothies and shakes too. No worries about sprouting anything, unless you're slathering them on your body instead of ingesting them ;) whatever floats your boat.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    Go Go chia rangers.....

8. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +492
    From MensHealth Apr. 2 2014:

The Tarahumara Diet

Tony Ramirez, a horticulturist in the US, who’s been obsessed with Tarahumara foods for decades.“Anything the Tarahumara eat, you can obtain easily,” says Ramirez. “It’s mostly beans, squash, chilli peppers, wild greens, ground corn and chia.” (Chia is a seed that can absorb more than 12 times its weight in water, and is available online at www.amazon.com)

The Tarahumara’s favourite drink, apart from home-brewed corn beer, is a little concoction whipped up by dissolving chia seeds in water and adding a little sugar and a squirt of lime. As tiny as those seeds are, they’re packed with omega-3s, protein, fibres and antioxidants. And there’s no arguing with its pedigree: On a diet like that, a 55-year-old Tarahumara runner won a 160km race through the Colorado Rockies.

Hmmm...so Keiser IS juicin'....with chia!

9. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,397
    Ok, so the bar fight was the first documented incidence of Chia rage? :cautious:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,890
    Am I the only one curious about the thread title saying "odd/ineresting facts about Chargers players thread" when the subject is about a Panthers player?

11. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +222
    Well it did happen to HIM? Didin't it? And he IS employed with the team now. I don't think it's such huge big deal.

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,890
    I brainfarted and didn't realize it was about a current Chargers player. Just read the first part of the headline and skimmed a little.

My fault, lol

It's not like his name was in big, bold letters are anything.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,890
    Although I did read the name, but for some reason beyond me I was thinking of Luke Kuechly which is why it didn't dawn on me it was a player not with them (and with us) now.

14. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,141
    Another odd factoid:

Doug Flutie actually eats Flutie Flakes...

15. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +123
    One I always like to pull out and have said it more than a few times...not really odd, but it is kind of a cool story...

Joe D (our OL coach) was the OL coach at Georgia Tech up until 07 i believe. While there, he HEAVILY recruited King Dunlap to go there. When King decided to go to Auburn instead, Coach D stayed in contact through the years, and i would imagine that is why he was a first day signing last year.

Also "King" is not only his legitimate name, he is King David Dunlap V (the 5th), meaning his dad, grandfather, great grandfather and great great grandfather were all also King Dunlap's as well.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +456
    So no more Whiskey and Chia seed shots?

17. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    Some things jus don't mix well with whiskey.

18. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Well, if he has a very successful NFL career,
    guess we could see the "Chia Keiser"

(hey, if it's good enough for Lincoln...)
    Screen Shot 2014-08-23 at 8.09.48 AM.png