1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Offense strives for consistency

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers.com

Among the first questions Chargers head coach Norv Turner heard Monday afternoon following a 23-21 win over the Super Bowl champion Indianapolis Colts inquired about the state of the offense and quarterback Philip Rivers.

Turner said when he reviewed tape of the Chargers' 12-play, 45-yard touchdown drive that included three third-down conversions -with two in third-and-10 situations - his answer was that nothing is wrong.

"The best example is the third-and-10 completion to Vincent Jackson on the touchdown drive," Turner said. "It was protected well, there was time to let the route develop, Vincent ran an in route, (Rivers) put the ball right between (Jackson's) chin and facemask. It was a 15-yard gain on a third-and-10."

The drive was completed without a penalty as the running back LaDainian Tomlinson scored on a 4-yard run for a 23-0 lead.

But when Turner reviewed other plays, he said it's a matter of the offense developing consistency to gain some rhythm.

One example was a false start for a 5-yard penalty after a 6-yard gain.

"We had second-and-4, but with the false start it's second-and-9," Turner said. "It's hard to get a rhythm when you do that."

Another example was a dropped pass by Michael Turner on second-and-7 from the Bolts' 38-yard line.

"Philip did a nice job of sliding around the rush and avoiding that guy that was free," Turner said. "He slips the ball to Michael, and when the ball hits him in the hands, it looks like a 15-yard gain. But he wasn't able to handle the ball. When you make those kind of plays, you get in a rhythm. When you're not, you're struggling."

Turner said the Chargers, or any team, can't afford such mistakes against a Colts defense that entered Sunday's game second in the NFL in scoring defense. A week earlier, Indianapolis held New England to 10 points into the fourth quarter before the Patriots rallied with two touchdowns for the win.

Indianapolis' defense features two fast defensive ends in Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis and a safety, Bob Sanders, that can play in the box to disrupt running games.

"We did not handle those matchups consistently," Turner said. "Those are impressive players."

Both Rivers and Tomlinson also added the team isn't discouraged and with seven games remaining, the Chargers believes they can establish consistency and a rhythm before the playoffs arrive.

"You want to be hot at the right time," Tomlinson said. "We haven't been hot yet, but it has to be coming. There are seven games to go to the playoffs, and if we're fortunate enough to get there, that's when you want to be hot. I've seen it over and over in this league when teams get hot. It hasn't happened for us yet, but I know it's coming."

Rivers, who said he was coming off a good week of practice, said he's not confused by the defenses or struggling with confidence in his second season as a starter. He said the team has to just keep striving for consistency.

"You're not going to be the same team every year," Rivers said. "For whatever reason, it hasn't all come together. The key thing is keep grinding, keep working and it will happen. There is no reason to think it can't."

The Chargers remain in first place in the AFC West with a 5-4 record and have a 2-1 mark within the division. Rivers said a difference is that this year's team hasn't found ways to pull out wins as frequently as a year ago.

"There isn't any major flaw or reason," he said. "We just haven't found it; in spurts of games we've looked like the group we saw last year. But I think last year can be deceiving. I can find tapes of spurts last year when we were terrible, but we found ways to win. These past five weeks, we've found ways to win in four of them."

• Like Like x 1
  2. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Sweet another thread for BOLTS4LIFE to trash Norv in. I can hardly wait. :unsure:

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    As a Chargers fan, you should hate Norv too!!!

Unless you're just so freakin' glad that Marty is gone that 5-11 will be just as satisfying as 11-5.
    I honestly think there are quite A LOT of posters in here with that mentality!!!!

4. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I'm not going to play the revisionist history game. Marty sucks, but so does Norv. I tried to give him a chance, but week after week of ****** play calling has me ready to strangle him. How is someone who is supposedly an offensive guru able to completely misuse the weapons he has. It's unbelievable.

Turner said when he reviewed tape of the Chargers' 12-play, 45-yard touchdown drive that included three third-down conversions -with two in third-and-10 situations - his answer was that nothing is wrong.

I don't know if he's stubborn, or stupid, but he just refuses to mix in some short passes on first down. They develop quickly so the line isn't getting handled. They mix things up so the defense is guessing a bit more. And they give the QB confidence. But no, let's just run LT into the line every time. :mad:

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    :yawn:

Wonderful.
    Oh I see he's already at it. Great. Right on cue. Another thread bites the dust.

6. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    They are consistent.

They are consistently bad right now.

7. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    this thread should be titled " offense strives for a fuqing first down"

I don't know or care whose to blame it's just sad to see this **** week in week out.

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The only one biting the dust here is Norval. The Chargers problem begins and ends with a lack of discipline. Rivers' mechanics, the O line play, the inconsistent tackling, the stupid penalties and the missed assignments come down to one thing-a lack of discipline. These guys are not being prepared properly. Genius is 90% preparation and 10% inspiration. These guys can inspire themselves, most of the time. The other part is knowing what to inspire yourself to do. These guys aren't being prepped with what they need to know and the ignorant are never disciplined. Just look at W.

9. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Offense strives for consistency? WTF?

I'd prefer that they have a good game then get consistent.

Consistent sucking is not good. Well...sometimes...nevermind.

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    WORD!!!! :icon_evil:

11. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I think he's right. The problem with this team is one of execution. Except for how he's using LT, I really don't have a problem with the playcalling.

For about two drives Sunday night, they executed, and there was nothing the Colts could do to stop them. On the drive with Rivers 1st interception, they got into a rhythm and were moving the ball at will, until a freak interception ended the drive (it was not a bad throw; the defender just made a great play on the ball to tip it away. If that guy missed, it would have been sure-fire VJ TD. Even after it was tipped, 99 times out of 100, it hits the ground incomplete. Sheer luck it bounced off the guy three times). The TD drive, they had great execution, got into a rhythm again, and bam--LT runs it in from four yards out for a TD (with great blocking by Olivea).

The Bolts have to work on their EXECUTION, which is not a coaching problem, but a player problem. If it was a coaching problem, they shouldn't be able to execute at all. If it was, why would they be able to put together a couple excellent drives? If it's a blanket issue like "coaching", it should affect the entire game, not just come out in spurts.

Moreover, how exactly is a coach supposed to get them to execute better except to do it over and over in practice? They are doing that, I assure you.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the players need to step up, get beyond their personal issues and play some freaking football.

12. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    And yes, I will agree that Turner is not a good motivator. Neither are a lot of coaches, but they still win because their players get the job done. If your coach doesn't give you nice speeches or tell cool stories to fire you up, you need to get past it if you want to be great. The players know it, too. Here's what Cooper said after Sunday night:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20071113-9999-1s13chargers.html
    They know what they have to do. Now it's just on them to do it.