1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Offensive line faces big front

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com

New England’s 3-4 defense features three big bodies across the line that play disciplined, sound defense, Chargers right tackle Jeromey Clary says.

SAN DIEGO – Tom Brady and New England’s magnetic passing game pull most of the attention when fans discuss the Patriots.
    While the defense may not command the same reputation from the general public, the Chargers will not waltz into Qualcomm Stadium without knowledge.
    Up front, Gerard Warren, Vince Wilfork and Mike Wright go 330, 325 and 295 pounds and have helped limit opposing runners to 4.0 yards per carry.
    “They’re big. And they’re really, really well-disciplined. They stay in their gaps and play their technique,” right tackle Jeromey Clary[​IMG] said. “They don’t have a lot of fronts and they don’t have to be real complicated. It’s pretty easy for them to line up and turn it loose.”
    Regardless of who on the Chargers is healthy or how a young but improving New England secondary plays, the offensive line will need to counteract that size and discipline with sturdy play of its own, predicated on sound technique, Clary said.
    Warren and Wright have two sacks each at defensive end and Wilfork ranks well on the team’s tackle chart for a nose guard in a 3-4 defense with 16 tackles.
    They help keep blockers away from inside linebacker Jerod Mayo, who’s averaging more than 12 tackles a game.
    “Ultimately we’ve got to do all the things you always have to do to win a football game,” Philip Rivers[​IMG] said. “We don’t have to do anything special but we’re going to have to play really well because this is no doubt one of the top teams in the league right now.”

ROLL CALL: With a spate of injuries to offensive skill players, much of Head Coach Norv Turner’s post-practice discussions have focused on providing updates on the health of several players.
    Antonio Gates[​IMG] (toe), Malcom Floyd[​IMG] (hamstring), Legedu Naanee[​IMG] (hamstring) and Buster Davis[​IMG] (ribs) all did not practice Thursday.
    “We don’t have to make a decision today,” Turner said. “I’m hopeful that Buster will be fine. I still have hope for Gates. The other guys are working well. We’ve had the guys here since May and Richard Goodman[​IMG] is getting some good work out there so we’ll see how it goes.”
    Ryan Mathews[​IMG] (ankle) returned to practice Thursday.
    Turner expressed doubt that Floyd will be able to play and said Naanee is improving and may or may not be ready to play Sunday.
    Patrick Crayton[​IMG], the only receiver at Thursday’s practice with a reception this season, got some extra time to familiarize himself with Rivers and the offense. San Diego traded for Crayton about a week before the season started.
    “We’re helping Patrick to continue to grow and understand what we’re doing,” Turner said. “He’s getting more comfortable with what we’re doing and there’s some things that came up last week that I think we’re able to fix and I think we’ll make progress.”
  2. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Aug 1, 2010
    The best thing the Chargers could make clear to New England is that if they intend to focus on Rivers, Ryan Mathews will fry them! The Chargers can't let New England get away with playing aggressive, tight man-coverage on run downs. They can't be allowed to stop Mathews and whoever else, with just their base.

Here are the factors I think will be key when the Chargers have the ball:

1). This group up front needs to come off the ball with a nasty, $h!+-a$$ attitude! Everybody gets a hat on someone and gets some movement to get Mathews to the second tier! Would I expect this from a Norv Turner coached team? No.

2). I've read Kevin Acee's breakdown of last week's sacks. He explains that there were communication-assignment issues, but what caused them to occur is left a mystery. I don't have the game so I can't lend an eye either. The surest way to counter the Patriots rush mix is to stay out of forced situations in the first place. Spotting New England 17pts might not be the best of plans. Indeed, it has yet to work.

3). I haven't seen every game, but if this team's main tendency is to throw, then Philip Rivers needs to sharpen his timing and placement. I would force Rivers to the replacements at wideout and play their routes to break. With no audible, Turner's system is dependent on pre & post snap reads. Miscommunication, resulting in a INT early in the game is inexcusable. I would take away Gates, recognize & mitigate Turner's screens as much as possible and worry about Mathews when they establish him.

If the Chargers play well offensively, they may well hammer New England.

Defensively, let's start with their QB.

Like most players, the reason Tom Brady fell to the sixth round before being drafted is because he isn't going to beat you with his physical attributes. This guy has maybe average arm strength and zero mobility! Maybe the most over-rated player in NFL history. The Chargers do not have to get desperate to sack this guy. Disrupt his follow-through and force his arm to strong throws.

RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis: This guy went undrafted, pretty straight forward inside runner. He's not going to do much on his own, what happens up front will be the key.

RB 5'9" Danny Woodhead an undrafted prospect from some small college program no one's ever heard of. He's what may pass as their down & distance option.

Highly touted WR 5'9" Wes Welker ... undrafted. His entire game is to come off the ball and beat you with his break. Jam him right at the LOS. Negate his quickness and disrupt the timing his route.

WR Brandon Tate- Now that Randy Moss is no longer there, he's their biggest threat, their best option! From what I've seen and read, this guy leaves nothing to chance when catching the football. Will compete with the best of them for the football. I'm not familiar with how they use him. Has a history of returning kicks for TDs. I didn't find his two returns this year particularly impressive, had more to do with a seam there for him to run through. Long-strider who cuts pretty well. That said, he's no Dexter McCluster!

Others may emphasize Special Teams, but all the Chargers have to do there is kick away from these guys.

If I were to rate each team's skill-position players on a scale of one to ten, I'd have the Chargers about 4, maybe 4.5 pts above New England's. But, it's the game-plan, execution and what happens up front that's apt to decide it.

It appears the Chargers days of winning 10 in a row are over. But for me, if they don't show for this one, they've got some internal issues that aren't going away.
  3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2005
    What we need to do is bring the element of surprise, but if we've learned any one thing about Norv, it's that he's VERY predictable.

I fear a very long day that leads to an already long season