1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Officer Mansker Takes Stand In Foley Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Deb, Jun 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +255
    Officer Mansker Takes Stand In Foley Lawsuit Officer Mansker Takes Stand In Foley Lawsuit

Watch Video [​IMG] Last Updated:

An off-duty rookie Coronado police officer who shot ex-Charger Steve Foley at the end of a DUI pursuit conceded today that his plan to follow and try to get the football star to pull over was dangerous.

Coronado police Officer Aaron Mansker was called to testify in trial of a lawsuit brought by Foley, who is seeking damages for past and future lost earnings.

Upon questioning by Foley's attorney, Harvey Levine, Mansker said he spotted the athlete's Oldsmobile Cutlass being driven erratically and swerving on northbound state Route 163 about 3:15 a.m. on Sept. 3, 2006, and began following the car.

The officer, in street clothes and driving his personal vehicle, said he got close to Foley's car and flashed his headlights in an effort to get Foley to pull over on the freeway. Mansker said he did so even though he told a dispatcher that he couldn't stop the vehicle because he was in his own personal car.

"You told the dispatcher one thing and you were doing something else?" Levine asked the witness.

"Correct," Mansker answered.

Mansker said he didn't know what he was going to do if Foley complied and pulled over, but said he would have probably waited for marked police units to arrive.

"Wasn't it really dangerous, this plan you had?" Levine asked the officer.

"The plan of action I took ... Absolutely," Mansker said.

Mansker, who was 23 at the time, followed Foley north on the freeway for 13 miles, with both vehicles exiting on Pomerado Road.

Foley told Mansker's attorney in a deposition that he had no idea somebody was following him on the freeway that night.

The officer said he pulled up next to Foley at Pomerado Road and Spring Canyon Road, rolled down the window, identified himself as a policeman without showing his badge, then yelled at Foley to pull to the curb, but Foley drove off.

Levine asked Mansker why he didn't get out of his car and talk to Foley.

"I didn't think about it at that point," Mansker said. "It wasn't a normal circumstance."

Mansker said he decided to try to get Foley to pull over on Pomerado when he saw sparks coming from the back wheel area of Foley's car.

At another point during the pursuit, Mansker said Foley got out of his car and walked toward Mansker, who identified himself as a police officer and ordered Foley back to his car, which Foley said never happened, according to Mansker's attorney, Norm Watkins.

Once the two cars got to the cul-de-sac in front of Foley's home in Poway, Foley said Mansker shot him without saying a word, according to Watkins.

Mansker said that in his nine months on the force at that point, he had twice before radioed in reports of traffic violations, followed the vehicles and waited for marked units to arrive.
    "I was doing what any citizen would do," Mansker testified.

The officer told Levine that his training taught him to take action only if the situation was an emergency and could cause injury or death.

Mansker said he was familiar with the generalities -- and not the specifics -- with policies and procedures regarding off-duty enforcement.

"If you get involved, do it safely," Mansker said. "Only take action if you think somebody could be hurt or killed."

Watkins said Monday that Foley, 32, made a "tragically poor" and "fateful" decision to drink and get behind the wheel the night he was shot by Mansker.

Foley had a blood-alcohol level of .21 percent or higher -- nearly three times the legal limit for driving -- when he left downtown after a night of partying, Watkins said.

Experts will testify that the amount of alcohol Foley consumed that evening is equivalent to between 14 and 18 shots of whiskey, the attorney said.

The alcohol affected Foley's ability to process information and react, Watkins said.

Watkins told the jury in his opening statement that much of what Mansker said to authorities after the shooting is disputed by Foley. Foley was leaving downtown around 3 a.m. and Mansker had just gotten off work and was headed home to be with his pregnant wife when their paths crossed, Watkins said.

"Their stories of what followed couldn't be more different," the attorney said.

Foley sued Mansker and the city of Coronado for negligence, claiming Mansker ended his professional football career by shattering his knee with a hollow-point bullet.

Levine previously told jurors that Foley thought he was going to die when Mansker shot him.

His client's medical bills have already reached $434,000, and the plaintiff expects them to go up by another $200,000, Levine said.

Levine said Foley had a contract with the Chargers for more than $3.6 million and had expected future earnings of $4.7 million. Experts will testify that Foley could have made $5.5 million a year from 2010 through 2012, Levine told the jury.

Levine told the panel last week that Mansker violated standard policies and procedures when he followed Foley's car at high speeds in his own vehicle, flashed his lights and tried to get Foley to pull over without showing him a badge.

Not knowing the person following him was a police officer, Foley stopped near his home, got out of his car and walked toward Mansker, who shot him in the knee and hip when he ignored orders to halt and allegedly reached toward his waistband, Levine said.

A passenger in Foley's vehicle, Lisa Maree Gaut, got behind the wheel and drove at Mansker. She was later convicted of assault with a deadly weapon and DUI.

The trial -- expected to last four to six weeks -- might include testimony from current Charger star running back LaDainian Tomlinson. Potential witnesses also include Charger linebackers Shawne Merriman and Shaun Phillips.

LINK

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Ah, **** - time for more of the "who made the biggest mistake that night" arguments. :icon_tease:

Phuc Mansker. :icon_finger: :icon_finger: :icon_finger:

3. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    From my cheap seat as an ex-cop, Foley screwed the pooch by drinking/driving. Drunk or sober, if somebody in a privately owned vehicle was trying to get me to stop, I'd keep going. Even if that person flashed a badge, I have no way of knowing if he's a cop or someone looking to jack me. Anyone can get a badge of some sort on-line and pull some stuff like this.

We were taught that if you were off-duty and observed something like this, get the details, description, plate and call it in. DO NOT PURSUE OR ATTEMPT TO STOP. IMO, Mansker should be fired.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +255
    Yeah I would never stop at nite for someone flashing their lights at me.

5. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    For those mathmatically inclined:

Bonehead A + Bonehead B = 2 careers in the toilet

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Never knew Mansker was a year (soon to be two) years younger then I am

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    in before B4L rant

I said it once, I've said it a hundred times: Aaron Mansker is a piece of ****. Was Foley wrong to get behind the wheel that night? Absolutely, positively, unequivocally. So was what Mansker did.

I hope he and the dept. get pwned.

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Mansker began his little adventure a very short distance from where Craig Peyer pulled over and killed Cara Knott. Nobody in their right mind should pull over in those circumstances. It would appear to me that Foley has them by the short and curlies so far.

9. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Stick a fork in'im.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We'll see. I'm not burying Mansker's sorry *** yet. It's amazing what can be shoved under the rug sometimes. :icon_evil:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I just don't see any defense for either Mansker's actions. Foley was definitely wrong to drink and drive. Still, there is no excuse for Mansker's action.

I noticed the link to the cbs8.com website is down.

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    You're right, I don't either.

But I didn't think that OJ would skate, either. :no:

13. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Basically Mansker just admitted that what he did was wrong, that he knew it was wrong then and does so now.

Open and shut case.

Mansker and the city should pay and pay well. Mansker should of faced jail time. Ya he is a cop and ya he did something wrong. If he was in the military and shot unarmed civilians he would be trialled. If he was a highly trained security guard he would be guilty. He is a cop, he should of known better.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

As you give hugs to O.J., whisper in his ear "B4L says you're guilty!!!" :yes:

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

He shouldn't have beat up his girlfriend (aka: mother of his child) in Cinncinatti either.

The guy's a scum bag.

16. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    OJ? Fuk OJ.

I think you quoted the wrong person dude

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    You're defending someone who beats up women and drives drunk.

18. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I've had some financial problems over the past few months but I don't go around beating up women and driving drunk!!!

It pisses me off even more that some people here feel he has the right to do those things because he's Steve Foley.

I met Steve a few times and he was a great guy. OJ was a great guy in person too. Both a pure scum and should be executed!!!

19. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    mansker should be fired soon right

20. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Uhh, I did? where?

Tell me, where in the fuk I defended Steve Foley?

btw, STFU about Foley already and quit trying to twist **** around to fit your played out agenda. You hate Foley, WE GET IT!

[​IMG]

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Hey. I didn't start this thread, felon lover!!!
    Now go join OJ and Foley in their "Women Beaters Have Rights Too" march!!

22. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Nor did I.

And welcome back to my ignore list you immature dunce.

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Well then go b*tch at the person who started the thread.

Am I suppose to be heart broken or something, you grown up genius? :icon_shrug:

24. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I don't think anybody here feels Steve Foley has the right to beat up women or drive drunk. This is news that many people, my self included, are interested in. It is news about a former player. We understand how you feel about Steve Foley. You've made that clear many many times.

I'm asking you to chill out with the Steve Foley bashing. We all know you feel Foley is pure scum. We don't need to be told you think this another 100 times. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Sorry to hear about your financial problems, please take it out of the MB. This is Charger talk, which includes former players. You don't need to kick the dog so to speak just because your having trouble.

You don't like Foley, we get it. Next.

• Like Like x 1
  26. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Nah, we're in for another 3-4 months of this diatribe, like his Norv hate rants.

27. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    The City of Coronado is going to be out some big bucks IMO.

28. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I understand THEY are the primary defendant in this cas, not Officer Mansker.

29. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942

What? You mean Foley's lawyer isn't after 35% of zero?

30. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Mansker should be in jail.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.