1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official 2013 coach hirings thread.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Jan 1, 2013.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    This is the real Lovie!

[​IMG]

2. PanchoX1

PanchoX1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +55
  3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,453
    Live and learn. ;)

4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    He's gonna be blown away when he sees how small the end zones are in America.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +316
    None of the above four I remotely wanted for Boltz' HC.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. PanchoX1

PanchoX1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +55
    that's right. I forgot about the Buffalo hire. I feel like San Diego is falling behind even though none of the coaches the Chargers seem to be interested in have been picked up anywhere. So really, they're not. I guess it's possible, if anything that the fewer HC jobs available, the easier it would be to negotiate salary in the teams favor.

8. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I was intrigued by the idea of the Trestman experiment.

9. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +316
    First three weeks of training camp teaching the players French and helping them understand how long the playing field is in meters.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
    Gus has a bit of a temper on him......... :D

Midway point of video

• Like Like x 1
  12. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    "Do your job" must be the trendy new catch phrase. :whistling:

13. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    He needs to have a chat with Congress... :roflmao:

"DO YOUR JOB!"

I like it... but wonder if he's like that ALL the time? Or just when necessary... *ponders*

14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
  15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Again, refer to what I posted earlier in the thread. This rate of hiring is actually ahead of the curve by comparison to last season (or right on the curve when you consider there are more vacancies to fill this year than last). Last year Fisher's hiring on the 1/14 marked the only the 2nd HC hiring of the offseason (Crennel's promotion being the first). The "new hires" of Allen, Shurmur, Philbin, Schiano, and Pagano didn't happen until the 24-29th of the month.

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
    Considering they just gave up a TD, I would guess that that's not the norm.

17. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    There doesn't seem to be that "hot coach" out there this year. It almost seems like these teams would pick a different coach anyway.

18. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
    I heard one NFL network guy on the radio (didn't catch the name), who said that usually when you fire a guy, you have an idea of the direction you want to take, and have someone particular in mind.

He was commenting that it looked like a bunch of teams wanted to make a change this year, but appeared to have no idea of what they wanted to do afterward. A lack of a real plan, if you will. It does seem like a number of teams are fumbling in the dark with these hires. I hope the Chargers have more of an idea of what they're looking for in a HC hire.

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
    Why is anyone interested in Jay Gruden?........... no, seriously. :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919
    The only thing I can say thus far is I like how they handled the GM search and the end decision.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Yes, but is there any evidence that Charger ownership truly wanted to change their coach?

Any reason, at all, to believe that they genuinely thought some retread or coordinator would do a better job?

I don't think so. This firing happened because many of the fans that buy the tickets felt that Norv shouldn't
    get any more chances. Ownership already asked fans to give Norv one more chance, at the end of 2011.
    At the end of the day, they're a business, and if a significant chunk of your customer base demands
    something else, they'll eventually get it.
    The Chargers don't really have a "direction" they want to take, because this was forced on them.

23. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    "Sometimes a certain surname will put you in positions that would be unimaginable otherwise."

Signed,
    Paris Hilton
    George W. Bush
    Khloe Kardashian
    Stephen Baldwin
    Wally Cleaver
    Billy Carter

• Like Like x 1
  24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
    Believe that if you wish, but I think you're wrong.

Norv thought he was gone after last season, but Dean had a last minute change of heart. All along, Dean has said that this team needed to reach the playoffs (and win), or a change would have to be made. This team has steadily regressed, and a change of direction was sorely needed...... the GM position included. The fans may've helped get AJ out too, but a change was coming, regardless.

The fact that Dean genuinely liked Norv, and respected AJ is besides the point. Like any owner, he wants to win, and that wasn't happening.

25. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Believe that if you wish, but I think you're wrong.

The "this team needed to reach the playoffs (and win)" was the very argument that got Norv the job.
    Steady regression? The Chargers were 8-8 in 2008, 7-9 four years later in 2012.
    I'm not saying they loved Norv. Just that they didn't like anyone else better.
    And mutiny by many fans is causing more and more blackouts.

26. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    I think more like apathy by most. No win=no watch.

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
    Then why did Norv tell people last year he was gone?....... he was as surprised as anyone that Dean kept him.

There was an expectation that the team needed to improve and reach the playoffs after the disappointing 8-8 season, and it didn't. 9-7, 8-8, and then 7-9 this year. That's a steady decline.... three years without a sniff of the post season.

A change was going to be made, no matter what the fan reaction was...... if you can't grasp that fact, then you're deluding yourself, Lance.

28. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Question

Let's say the Chargers hire Lovie Smith or maybe Mike Zimmer, coaches that run 4-3 or a Cover 2 scheme. Would they be willing to run a 3-4 because to change schemes now, especially with our defense improving, would cause a small rebuilding program to become a total tear down?

29. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    I'm not sure where you're encountering delusion. First, a game or two--in either direction--is hardly
    conclusive in a 16 game NFL schedule in which games are decided on a 46 yard field goal attempt.
    Aside from the fact that the roster has fallen off a bit in recent years,
    there really isn't much difference between the three teams you noted.
    And certainly nothing significantly different in the way Norv coached them.

I don't actually remember Norv telling people he was gone a year ago, but if he did, it would've
    been for the exact same reasons as this year. Almost everyone was saying that his dismissal was a
    forgone conclusion. But a year ago, ownership felt that Norv was the best option,
    and crossed their fingers that fans would be patient for one more year.
    This year, there is no evidence that they coveted some other potential coach more,
    but they realized that most of the villagers would boil over if they announced that Norv would be
    HC again in 2013. Of course they want to win. I just doubt that they have a clear vision to it, though.
    (though I expect that after someone is hired, they'll loudly declare that they absolutely got the guy
    that they were really, really hoping for all the time...and Acee will suddenly know that to be true)

30. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814