1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official 2013 coach hirings thread.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Ah got it. Thanks. :tup:

2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  3. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475
    Marty Caswell@MartyCaswell
    Adam Schefter says Mike McCoy is "really eying the Chargers job." Believes it comes down to McCoy and Gus Bradley. Interesting.

Really interesting since they are just meeting with McCoy today. Gotta think since its only noon or so that the McCoy meeting isnt over yet if its even started yet. How would Schefter know the Chargers are down to those 2 guys??? Smells like more Twitter bull ****.

4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Did he say this on TV? Cuz I don't see any tweet?

If it wernt Schefter I would call it bullshit. But the act of pushing Arians back so McCoy could get in today seems like they're comfortable with the fact that Arians won't be put off, like he's the favorite...so yeah.

5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Broncos OC Mike McCoy is believed to prefer the Chargers' head coaching job over Arizona or Jacksonville's.
    As Profootballtalk's Darin Gantt points out, this is hardly surprising considering each team's quarterback situation. However, if McCoy wants the Bolts job, he's going to have to beat out presumed favorite Bruce Arians. The Chargers are also believed to be considering Ken Whisenhunt, Lovie Smith and Bengals OC Jay Gruden.

Im curious what makes Arians the favorite?

6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
  7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/53909/mccoy-may-be-at-top-of-chargers-list

McCoy may be at top of Chargers' list

By Bill Williamson
    Now that the Denver Broncos’ Super Bowl dreams have been derailed, they act as a coaching feeder outlet for the AFC West again.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Monday that Denver offensive coordinator Mike McCoy is interviewing with the Chargers on Monday and he may be a top candidate for the job. Schefter reported McCoy and Seattle defensive coordinator Gus Bradley (he interviewed with San Diego on Thursday) could be the two candidates the Chargers are zoning in on.

Also, Schefter reported that the San Diego job is the job McCoy is most eying. McCoy is arguably the hottest head-coaching candidate this year. Essentially every team with an opening has or will interview McCoy.

He is popular because he is a young offensive mind and he has had success with both Tim Tebow and Peyton Manning in Denver. The Chargers’ offense needs both a new philosophy and more talent. If Bradley gets the job, the Chargers will be enhancing their top area, but they will still have to find a way to improve the offense.

San Diego is talking to several candidates including Lovie Smith, Bruce Arians and Jay Gruden and Ken Whisenhunt.

If McCoy gets the San Diego job, it will be the second straight year an AFC West foe has plucked Denver’s staff. Last year, Oakland hired Denver defensive coordinator Dennis Allen as head coach.

8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Indy connection with Telesco is all I can think of.

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919
    If we end up hiring McCoy I'm just hoping that the ultra conservative play calling in that Denver game (running on 3rd down instead of giving the ball to Peyton to seal it, kneeling at the end of both halves still having time outs to burn) was more John Fox's call and less McCoy's.

Thankfully, considering how insanely conservative Fox was in Carolina I'm apt to assume it was more on Fox.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    The fact that he's so sought after makes him more intriguing to me. But I'm very skeptical of any "coach" of Peyton Manning. I feel the same way of the Patriots assistants that made careers off of Brady/Bellichick.

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Question for those more in the know of the rules than I.

I know some of the coordinators of teams still in the playoffs have already been interviewed thanks to the bye week.

I'll use Greg Roman for my example since he's still in the playoffs. (Not sure if we, or anyone has interviewed him yet, but for argument's sake let's say he has been interviewed)

So, if a team were to decide they want to hire Greg Roman after all their interviews at this juncture...

A) Are they now allowed to call and inform him that he's their man?
    B) is he allowed to accept at this juncture?
    C) Are they allowed to make a formal announcement?
    D) Does he remain with the 49ers until they're done or move on to his new team?

Obviously if the answer to any of the above questions is no it negates any of the questions that follow.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Denver gave up 31 points on Defense, and their offense scored 21 points in spite of three Manning turnovers. Even in our horribleness this season, that would have been a bad game for the 2012 Chargers. McCoy has one tremendous advantage, which was highlighted by Tebow, and that's that he's not shackled to any particular system, and can innovate. Norv's biggest downfall, aside from horrible game management, was that he never adjusted his offense for the players he had on the roster. The 2012 Chargers were a completely different team in terms of the attributes of the players, but the offense being run was identical to 2007.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    If these reports on McCoy and Bradley leading the candidates are true, I'll be very happy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
  15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    You must be on tapatalk.

I made that mistake as well. It keeps the first post of the thread at the top no matter what page you're on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Haha yep. I just gave up on it.

17. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,481
    Chargers coach search on the offensive

A defensive coach the first day.
    A defensive coach the second.
    It may not have begun this way, but the search for the next Chargers head coach is clearly on the offensive now.
    Ken Whisenhunt and Jay Gruden interviewed over the weekend, and general manager Tom Telesco is scheduled to meet Monday with Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy. Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians comes to town Wednesday.
    Of the six known candidates on San Diego’s head coach radar, only Seahawks coordinator Gus Bradley, 46, and former Bears coach Lovie Smith, 54, have defensive backgrounds.
    They interviewed Thursday and Friday, respectively.
    Whisenhunt, 50, visited Chargers Park on Saturday. He was the Steelers’ offensive coordinator from 2004 to 2006 before head coaching the Cardinals the past six seasons.
    Gruden came Sunday.
    The 45-year-old has been the Bengals offensive coordinator since 2011 and is the younger brother of Jon Gruden, ESPN broadcaster and former NFL coach. Jay Gruden drew head coach consideration last year, but he chose not to run, denying interview requests from the Jaguars and Colts.
    Telesco was Indianapoilis’ director of player personnel at the time.
    Monday’s interview with McCoy, 40, comes two days after the Broncos’ double-overtime loss to the Ravens. He began coaching in the league in 2000, serving as the Panthers’ offensive assistant, wide receivers coach, quarterbacks coach and passing coordinator at different times over a nine-year tenure.
    A native of Novato, Calif., he was the Broncos’ quarterbacks coach in 2009 and their coordinator in the three years since. In 2012, Denver scored the NFL’s second most points with the fourth most yards. The year prior, McCoy retooled his offense midseason around the strengths of quarterback Tim Tebow en route to a division title.
    Arians, 60, recently completed a 9-3 run as the Colts’ interim head coach. He’s been the offensive coordinator for the Browns (2001 to 2003), Steelers (2007 to 2011) and Colts (2012 to present).
    Arians interviewed Sunday in Chicago and will visit Philadelphia on Tuesday.
    Telesco said last week Arians did an “amazing job in Indianapolis.”
    If the Chargers do ultimately hire a head coach with an offensive background, the chances would seem to increase the current defensive staff will remain largely, if not entirely, in tact.
    John Pagano had a strong first season as defensive coordinator while linebackers coach Joe Barry and secondary coach Ron Meeks have NFL coordinator experience.
    "I've only been through one coaching change, and the whole defensive staff stayed in tact," Chargers linebacker Jarret Johnson said recently. "I can see that happening here, but you never know. Sometimes, coaches get fired, and the new guy cleans house."

18. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +322
    Excellent point regarding Norv's inability to adjust. The same is true of his in-game adjustment prowess, or lack there of.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    I only use it because this forum is almost impossible to navigate via my phone's normal browser.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Which is why he'll always be a very good OC if you give him the right talent to work with but will never make a great coach.

21. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
  22. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Let's hope so. Sounds a lot better than just aiming to make the playoffs.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +276
    I would've said the same thing, but he did also manage to create a scheme that maximized Tebow's very limited talents too. The thing that impresses me is that he's been able to build successful systems around 2 very different QBs, showing a good offensive mind.

24. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +911
    It's the easy storyline because Telesco came from Indy. Just like Reid was going to come here because he has a house in Southern California. Writers are often idiots.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
  26. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    And like Jon Gruden was going to come here because he likes Fiestas on Islands. :D

27. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Had to post this

The Jaguars are interviewing incumbent DC Mel Tucker for their head-coaching vacancy on Monday, and will meet with Rams OC Brian Schottenheimer on Tuesday.
    Both candidates had already been linked to the job. Tucker served as the Jaguars' interim coach after Jack Del Rio was fired in 2011, while Schottenheimer was in the mix to replace Del Rio on a permanent basis before the Jags settled on Mike Mularkey. New GM David Caldwell's coaching search has yet to produce any intriguing candidates.

28. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,642
    It's good to be a Chargers fan, especially compared to the Jags and the Jets

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    Refer to Fox's tenure in Carolina... I'm fairly confident in saying the conservative approach is largely his doing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    San Diego doesn't have enough Hooters per square mile for Gruden's taste. This is known fact.

• Funny Funny x 1