1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official 2013 coach hirings thread.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Mora?........... Jim Mora??? :cautious: :sick: :speechless:

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    What a horrendously stupid, very CHARGERS, idea.

Mora didn't deserve his 1st job in Atlanta...and he failed miserably.
    Mora didn't deserve his 2nd job in Seattle, in fact they just gave him the job, I don't even think they satisfied the Rooney rule....and he failed miserably.

One 9 win season at UCLA does not make him an NFL coach, and yet I will not surprised we will be the only ones to interview him, and inevitably hire him. Its such a Spanos move.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Maybe, they were impressed by his team's performance in the bowl game? ;)

4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    What worries me is The Chargers seem like the less active team out of them all. With all this secrecy it apparently seems so. Im afraid all the other teams will make their moves while we sift through the bargain bins.

5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    :unsure: Oh damn I hope they don't make this mistake. Its as close to a lateral move from Norv as I can think of...with exception of Wade Phillips.

6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Its a different sort of hierarchy, the GM is more like a boss in this organization so they'll fill that vacancy first.

I'd say we have about 4 days to hire the GM and start interviewing HC candidates, before we really start falling behind.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    That was a joke........ UCLA looked terrible in that bowl game.

I'd rather have Norv back than hire Mora........ no, that's not a joke.

8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    True, Just off reports as of late Bills have 3 interviews lined up, Browns having their 2nd Chip Kelly interview tomorrow, KC hired Reid, Chargers, "hmmm that name sounds nice"

Kind of like The Padres waiting everyday to read about them signing or making a trade for a starting pitcher only to see the Dodgers, D Backs, and Giants improve while we re-sign Jason Marquis

9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,358
    [​IMG]

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Mora is the ONE candidate that I couldn't abide period, he's done nothing to deserve consideration in terms of record or performance. I'm praying he's not being considered because he will keep Pagano.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919

• Like Like x 1
  12. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Are we sure that Ron Wolf still has credibility as a consultant? If we choose Mora then I would say he is off his rocker if he recommended him.

I think this hire would get the same reaction as the Norv hiring.

13. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814

This is a typical Chargers move. They will try to soften the blow by bringing in Noel Mazzone. Like that will actually help Rivers. Ron Wolf is a senile old man if this happens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    The Chargers won't actually conduct interviews with coaches until they hire a GM. Right? Did I miss something? I thought the GM was going to hire the coach (with input from others of course). And then the coach gets to pick his staff.

I suspect this Mora shiit is all Mora himself putting it out there to try and sweeten his own deal at UCLA.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    Dean needs Mora time to make a stupid decision, this ain't buying eggs you know!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    I'm a little concerned about Bruce Arians as the possible Chargers head coach.

The guy is 60, and has never been a HC before, so why now? He doesn't strike you as a guy who had a burning ambition to become an NFL HC, or he wouldn't have waited this long to go for the brass ring. Guys at 60 are looking more at retirement than taking a big career step.

Face it, he fell into his interim job because of Pagano's illness. Otherwise, we never would've heard of the guy. He did an admirable job of holding things together and winning games, but the team and staff were already put together for him. he's never had to do that himself.

Do we know he can put together an NFL coaching staff on his own?...... no. Do we know he can make good player evaluations in putting a roster together?...... no. There are too many question marks around this guy for my taste. He's an unproven commodity. Just as you should stay away from one year wonder QBs (Cassel, Kolb, Flynn, etc), you should be highly skeptical of a HC candidate who's only been a brief fill-in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    I think it's funny that there's rumors coming out of everywhere about the Chargers interviewing so and so when they have said repeatedly that they're hiring their GM first and then looking for the HC with the new GM involved in the search.

I think all these rumors are just hogwash that either stem from some intern just hearing a name in the office or, as mentioned earlier, the coach himself or his agent putting it out there to try and force his name in the mix or strongarm a better deal out of his current employer.

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Actually, he was the head coach at Temple for a few years. But if you look up his record you'll probably only be even more concerned.

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    I better not look then. ;)

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Rivera is staying, so thoughts of getting Chud as an OC are no longer valid.

21. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Unless the GM (Spanos puppet/Jimmy Raye) is already in place. ;) If this whole Mora or any other coach rumor is accurate than a real GM search has been a load of crap (PR move) by Spanos.

22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Some people might say you were a bit of a cynic. ;)

23. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    When it comes to Spanos, hell yeah!

24. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter
    Syracuse’s Doug Marrone interviewed with the Bills on Wednesday night and the Browns on Thursday. Eagles, Chargers also interested.

25. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Anyone know anything about the Syracuse coach? All I know is he was the OC in New Orleans a while ago

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
  27. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,358
    Very good Leo! Never mind the fact I posted that on Jan 1st LONG BEFORE he even spoke to KC.

28. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    I have to think a lot of it is media conjecture or making mountains out of molehills. Sort of where they ask Dean or someone associated with the Chargers what they think of a particular candidate (and Mora's local being at UCLA so he's recognizable amongst local media) and, of course, they're not going to talk the guy down and say, "Hell no. He's a twit." "Interest" can be spun plenty of ways, especially when a solid bunch of candidates couldn't even be interview because they're coaching on playoff teams that didn't have byes this week.

What scares me about Arians is that 1) I don't think he's very good (Indy's the first team that I can remember to make the playoffs while conceding 30 more total points on the season than they themselves actual scored; i.e. they had a -30 point differential on the season) and 2) It strikes me as purely a marketing ploy by Dean to point and say, "See! I went and got you the 2012 NFL Coach of the Year." When in reality, there are at least two other coaches more deserving than Arians - who I feel is really only getting the media votes as a secondhand gesture to Chuck Pagano.

My theory will get tested tomorrow or the day after. If we start seeing "Chargers interested in Jay Gruden (or Winston Moss if by some miracle the Packers get eliminated)" then we know how much stock to put in the Mora rumors.

29. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Mora was also a defensive coach for the Chargers from '85-'91, he served under Coryell, he has some deep local roots.

I'm waning on the Arians enthusiasm myself, but at least he can contribute to 1 side of the ball, where as Mora contributes nothing.

30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Whoops. I didnt realize until now that Tapatalk keeps the first post of a thread at the top no matter which page you are on so I thought that post was on page 3 after my posts that came recently. (Didnt look at the time stamp obviously)