1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official 2013 coach hirings thread.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,401
    Mora contributes to his bank account....... he's duped several owners into giving him multi-year deals and then getting fired after a single season.

Work one year, pocket the rest of the $$$. Gotta hand it to him, he's quite the hustler. ;)

2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    Like I said, for the moment it feels like Dean is looking only at coaches he can sell to season ticket holders as "gets" that they know as opposed to coaches that would actually be beneficial for this team. This reeks of Kevin Gilbride all over again.

3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    As of 9:40PM ET Saturday night, Oregon coach Chip Kelly was still meeting with Eagles brass regarding Philly's head-coaching vacancy.
    It is perhaps -- and we stress perhaps -- worth noting that one WIP Philadelphia report stated Friday evening that Kelly and the Eagles are "close" to a five-year agreement. "If I'm right I'm golden," WIP's Brian Startare tweeted. "If wrong my source is fired." So that's not exactly trustworthy. The fact that the Eagles are still talking to Kelly would seem to indicate strong mutual interest, however. Kelly previously was scheduled to meet with Browns brass for dinner on Saturday night. Obviously, that's not happening.

4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Long lunch: Kelly still meeting with Eagles

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 5, 2013, 9:47 PM EST

Getty Images
    Thanks to Joe Webb’s introduction to the forward pass, we’re counting on external means for drama tonight.

We may have found it in the person of for-now Oregon coach Chip Kelly.

The plan was for him to have a perfunctory lunch with the Eagles, then dinner with the Browns, who he was believed to be close to a deal with.

But Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported moments ago that the Browns had yet to get their chance at Kelly, since he was still meeting with the Eagles.

As we mentioned earlier, Kelly’s playing his moment of leverage to the hilt, and with every extra dessert he orders on the Eagles tab, the price tag for the Browns goes up a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    The same person who wrote that, also said:

Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabot

Source confirmed @rapsheet that #Brownsmet Syracuse Doug Marrone again today. He's also meeting tonight with SD, has met w/ Bills.

6. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    How can any coaching prospect meet with SD when there is not a GM in place??? ;)

7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    The only reason I don't buy that is....who the hell is going to buy tickets because of Jim Mora? What is the selling point?

I think its just raw unadulterated stupidity that is leading Dean Spanos right now.

8. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Wait! Didn't he hire a consultant? :roflmao:

9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    What the hell is the consultant doing if he's allowing Dean to waste their time on Jim ****** Mora?

Sounds like all he's doing is writing up the questions and giving his opinion on answers.

10. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I still say (for the fourth time, sorry Blue) the whole consultant thing is a BS, PR move. If not then Ron Wolf is just too damn old and out of the game to be consulting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    Or maybe they have zero interest in Mora, and Mora's agent is throwing out rumors to drive up his value to UCLA

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Another possibility. But this sounds sooo much like a Charger move that it is believable. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    I guess I just don't believe that Spanos is dumb enough to think that Mora would attract fans based on him being an assistant coach 20+ years ago, something that most people i doubt even know happened

14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    Considering all the leaked details about who the new OC would be, and Pagano staying, I think its pretty definitive that it was leaked from Mora's camp, not ours.

But like Doug said, its such a "Charger move" that its not hard to believe.

15. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    That is assuming Spanos is hiring a coach to attract a fan base. Has he ever hired a coach on name recognition?

Of course who the hell knows what goes on in his head??:laugh:

16. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,355
    Jim Mora = Norv Turner Lite

17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    I would take Norv back over Mora.

And yes, I did almost have an aneurysm as I wrote that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    The report doesn't actually say when, Rapoport and Schefter just say The Chargers have interest, which brings up my point from earlier, all the other teams are "Doing" while the Chargers are "dreaming"
    Which may leave us no other option to get desperate and hire the next pretty girl that smiles at us without knowing if they're "Crazy as S#$T" or not

19. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Hey, we have all been there. :laugh:

20. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,355
    Spanos wants a new stadium too and he wants one sooner rather than later. If he hires Mora or some other unknown, he won't get one.

21. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Jim Mora = Norv after coaching the Chargers.

I think the shat will hit the fan if this happens. It is very eerie how similar the resemblance is.

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    Others here have said that is why Spanos has leaked Mora's name.

23. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Chip Kelly Unsubscribes from Monster.com After It Keeps Sending Him Cleveland Browns Job Opportunities

Oregon head coach Chip Kelly said today that he he cancelled his Monster.com account and marked their e-mails as spam after receiving repeated notices about interview opportunities with the Cleveland Browns.

"I got a Monster account years ago to help me find good jobs," Kelly said. "Of course I can work for the Browns. I don't need Monster to do that for me. I can work for the Browns just like I can work for McDonald's. They're wasting my time and clogging up my e-mail inbox."

A Monster representative says Kelly isn't the first person to complain about being contacted about the Cleveland Browns.

"We are looking to fix the problem," said Monster spokesperson Kevin Papronis. "Obviously, we only want to give our users the best experience, and an experience that includes the Cleveland Browns can't be good for anyone."

Penn State head coach Bill O'Brien said he also cancelled his Monster.com account after interviewing with the Browns.

"I stupidly trusted them and assumed it must have been a legit opportunity if they sent it to me," said O'Brien. "But it was awful. In every way. The building was all run down. It smelled. The people in the office looked all depressed. The toilets were backed up. Just imagine the Browns' on-the-field product and that transfer it into an office environment."

The Browns are now looking to hire a coach by posting fliers on telephone poles throughout the community promising applicants can "Work one day a week and earn more than $30,000 a year with benefits!"
    http://www.sportspickle.com/news/15...ending-him-cleveland-browns-job-opportunities

24. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,401
    I'd take Norv's daughter over Mora........ and I mean as a HC. ;)

25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    I tend to think the same thing, but we have some extremely ignorant fans. Again, it's not those of us that are informed enough to post regularly on football forum sites that are the core demographic the Spanos' are targeting. It's Joe Schmoe TV Watcher who knows Jim Mora "cuz his dad has that quotable on NFLN" and "he coached UCLA to beating USC".

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    Err... you're not entirely on point there. "All" these other teams aren't doing. The teams that have GM's in place already (Philly, Buffalo, Chicago) are doing. Teams that are content to do what has historically shown to be profoundly stupid decision of letting a coach choose his GM (KC, Cleveland) are doing. You don't hear much coming out of Tennessee do you? So that certainly means it isn't "everybody".

Has one single coach that anyone actually wanted signed to coach a team yet? Certainly not from my end that hasn't happened. Am I going to be terribly disappointed if Lovie Smith agrees to be the Buffalo HC before even interviewing with us? Hell no. Why? Because if our hiring team has the burr up their butts to try and retain Pagano as DC if at all possible then Lovie "I hate the 3-4, My Scheme is Better" Smith won't be our next HC. Lovie would force his system on our team, no matter how expensive the conversion would be or how badly some of our players fit that scheme.

All that we've learned from this process thus far is that some people are going to complain no matter what? I swear, there must have been kittens run over all across southern California for so many people to be so bitter.

27. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    Sorry my mistake I should have said "Most" when talking about 5 of the 8 teams in search of GMs and HC's. What Im saying is we hear the words "Interest" and "Like" often floated around when it comes to hearing about the Chargers activities, While the other teams are lining up interviews hourly. I was saying Im afraid this could be a terrible idea that dean has planned all along trying to trick us into thinking "Well if Ron Wolfe thinks Mora or (fill in the blank) is the best candidate, its good enough for me" so we can think he tried and he can fill seats while going the most cost efficient route. Like I said its a fear I hope Im wrong about. Did I say we have to hire Lovie Smith?

After 20 something years Im not a SD resident anymore but my heart still resides there in my teams, so I can't really say if any kittens were recently ran over or not. Im assuming people may be bitter because we spend our money on these teams to see Trophies and Banners only to be had by a PR marketing move gone bad. Maybe "almost" just isn't cutting it anymore or maybe its because the shortage of "Chill pills" as of late.

28. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    My point is... accept the media for what they are- which is an entity trying to sell copy (repeat customers) and advertising (where they make their damn money). Media is as much an industry as anything else. They're not held to the responsibility of "reporting the truth" so long as they don't legally commit libel. So they're going to embellish, exaggerate, and bend the actual facts as much as possible to keep viewers/readers on the edge of their seats and constantly checking back in as often as possible.

Go back and historically look how long these processes generally take to pass. Even in the context of when we had the coordinators that were interviewing elsewhere, Wade and Cam interviewed with other teams during our bye week, but none of them committed to coaching a team until nearly two weeks after we'd been knocked out of the playoffs. People trying to make it out like we're missing out on the opportunity to interview candidates because we're not the first interview they take aren't taking proper context into mind. Would it be ideal to be the first interview they take (and for some coaches... guess what? we still might be!) due to the proven added benefit of being the interview/sample against which a candidate compares every other interview? Sure. Are we getting boned by doing the smart move and waiting to hire a GM before interviewing HC's so the two can be in a dual-partnership? HELL NO!

29. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    The new GM should have final say in his HC and the HC should be able to hire the coaches of his choice. I don't know that Dean needs to be making football decisions on his own but hiring an old timer that may be out of touch with today's NFL is a bit unsettling.

30. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814