1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Official 2013 coach hirings thread.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,529
  2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Rob Ryan vows to find work quickly

Posted by Mike Florio on January 8, 2013, 8:31 PM EST
    AP
    They say pride comes before the fall.

It apparently comes after it, too.

Former Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan has confirmed that he has been fired, according to Tim McMahon of ESPNDallas.com.

I’ll be out of work for like 5 minutes,” Rob Ryan told McMahon.

He may be right, but not every NFL coach will be thrilled about the prospect of hiring a defensive coordinator who tends to talk when maybe he shouldn’t. Still, Ryan is skilled at what he does. And with so many owners hiring coaches with offensive backgrounds, they’ll all need solid defensive coordinators. Rob Ryan instantly goes to the top of the list of available candidates.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    Mitt-Romney-Sucks-Here’s-Why-Photo-by-2bp.jpg

4. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,733
    I’ll be out of work for like 5 minutes,” Rob Ryan told McMahon,
    "I mean, if it's anything like the other 4 times I've been fired...
    heck, 27 clubs haven't even tasted my d-baggery first hand, yet!
    I'm a RYAN!!!"

5. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/jan/08/Acee-chargers-need-winner/

Acee: Chargers need winner, not name

Sure, Jon Gruden or Mike Holmgren would sell tickets right away.

I guess. Maybe.

A coach will excite enough people enough that they’ll buy tickets. But it won’t result in a cash infusion that would single-handedly eradicate blackouts or, say, offset the cost of such a big-name coach. And, certainly, such a bump would be temporary without the right results.

Winning is what will alleviate apathy, get people to spend money on the team again, maybe even get them to hug a Spanos.

The Chargers are expected to announce either current personnel director Jimmy Raye or Indianapolis Colts personnel man Tom Telesco as their next general manager today, and that man will join the search for a head coach.

Truth is, the two remaining candidates have informed the Chargers of very similar, if not identical, lists of candidates they’d be interested in hiring. Thus, the Chargers have already decided who they will interview, even though they’ve done a remarkable job keeping those names private.

Holmgren would be the easy choice. Gruden, even easier to make.

Whoever will be interviewed, likely beginning as soon as Thursday, I just don’t think the Chargers can risk that Holmgren or Gruden might not still actually have the fire, that their message might not still resonate, that the tread on their tires is too worn.

When I was told a few days ago by a team source who is in the know that the Chargers “need a change,” it resonated. The “change” comment referred to the Chargers brass being interested in someone different than Norv Turner and Marty Schottenheimer, their past two head coaches who came to town after holding head jobs at multiple places over the course of more than a decade.

I do not believe this precludes the Chargers from considering Lovie Smith, who was fired last week after going 81-63 over nine seasons as head coach of the Chicago Bears.

I like that move, and I wouldn’t be averse to Ken Whisenhunt, just fired in Arizona. Both men took their teams to Super Bowls, and such experience was described by Chargers President Dean Spanos as a plus. Also a plus, they’ve been head coaches in the NFL.

But Spanos swore after firing Turner that he didn’t have a narrow definition of what he would be looking for. And I’m thinking he is leaning more toward searching for the next assistant that can become a head coach.

Several people around the league and inside Chargers Park have said Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is a top target, and Arians is interested in the gig.

Denounce Arians as a 60-year-old career assistant if you will, but what he did this year as much as what he has done in his career makes him perhaps the most intriguing candidate. Before becoming the Colts’ interim head coach in September and leading them to a 9-3 record during his time serving in place of the ill Chuck Pagano, Arians is the guy who helped make Ben Roethlisberger an all-around quarterback. The Colts this year went 11-5 with almost a dozen rookies playing key roles and with a few dozen different starters due to injury.

The Chargers should give a look, too, to offensive coordinators Mike McCoy (Denver) and Rick Dennison (Houston). Maybe they should try a new Gruden, Cincinnati offensive coordinator, Jay Gruden.

But they should not go the big-name route just for the sake of doing it.

6. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
  7. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,383
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    It's a shame I don't have any kids. Mora could be the new Chupacabra

"You kids better do your chores, eat your veggies, and quit acting up. Or else The chargers might hire Jim Mora!"

Kids go running, screaming out of the room, "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhh"

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Love it.

It seems everyone here is horrified by the thought of the younger Mora.
    How in the world would ownership that just unloaded an unpopular coach,
    who they'd had to sell to the fans as better than his record, replace him with
    an unpopular coach, who they'll have to sell to the fans as better than his record...?

What struck me, though, as I looked up the details of Mora's record, was the similarity of his last 5 years,
    to the chart of Gruden's last 7 years I'd posted a couple days ago: Both coaches shot their load in year one...
    followed by 4 (Mora) & 6 (Gruden) year blocks of overall sub .500 football...
    I understand the distaste for Mora...yet Gruden still seems attractive to many... :p

Jim L Mora Decline.png
    Jon Gruden Decline.png

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,707
    UTKevinAcee: Chargers have expressed interest in Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer. No interview set yet. (56 minutes ago from TweetDeck)

UTKevinAcee: Mike Zimmer interviewed w Chargers in '07 ... Norv Turner was always going to get the job. They liked Zimmer though. Straightforward. (16 minutes ago from TweetDeck)

11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    @RossTuckerNFL: Zimmer reportedly is a bad interviewer b/c he "tells it like it is" which is why he's a great coach & should be hired

12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,780
    My first choice has been Keith Butler and Zimmer second. I'd not be happy with most of the other choices and Chucky is just a novelty. Please let it be Zimmer because those in the know don't know shite and won't hire Butler.

13. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,924
  14. PanchoX1

PanchoX1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +55
  15. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Mine stopped after I read this

"Bill Cowher"

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,222
    Well, now that the GM selection has been solved, who is best suited to be a HC for this organization? What are the best choices?

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I am still REALLY hoping that who ever they hire as the HC, is a guy who will let his coordinators deal with the X's and O's and do the play calling.

18. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +276
    Was just reading the Telesco first interview on Chargers website, very good response when asked what he's looking for in a head coach...

Telesco: You want a leader, number one. And with our philosophy we have to look at the draft and get some young talent on this team. We really want a teacher; a head coach that can not only teach the players but teach his assistant coaches what he wants. That’s going to be a big key. We want a teacher. We want a good communicator. I deal with the head coach every day. And he deals with the staff every day. We want to have clear communication of what he’s looking for so we can find it. And we want a motivator. We want someone that can motivate the players, because if it’s not a lot different in the talent level (between two teams), maybe the coach, more motivated, push you over the top.

So, pretty much the opposite of Norv is what he is looking for then??

• Like Like x 2
  19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,733
    First, I like that this guy's young.
    Second, I think the evidence is pretty overwhelming that players were motivated to play hard for Norv...
    they believed in him as a coach and as a person, and didn't want to let him down (sorry not to do the
    obligatory "kick the man when he's down" thing...just going by best evidence avail.).
    Third, I really hope he doesn't mean the shouting, pull down your pants, Singletary/Rexy syle of motivating...

20. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,383
    I could not have come up with a better description of Schottenheimer if you asked me to. Basically, he wants Marty without the playoff hiccups.

21. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,733
    EVERYBODY wants a Marty without the playoffs!!!

If I had a 3-13 team, there's nobody I'd trust more to lift them to 11-5 within two years. :tup:

Now, once they got to 11-5... :whistling:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: ...bring in Norv to seal the deal!!!! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

22. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,383
    Without the playoffs, Marty would be the perfect coach.

Why couldn't you have a regular season coach and a playoff coach? Seriously. Perhaps they are just different skill sets. Marty for the regular season, and Bill Parcells for the postseason.

23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Chuck Pagano on Bruce Arians: " Bruce has all the qualities to be outstanding head football coach. Great technician. He knows the game. He's great with players. Good leader. Good motivator."

What are all the traits Telesco mentioned

"
    You want a leader, number one."

"
    We really want a teacher; a head coach that can not only teach the players but teach his assistant coaches what he wants."
    "We want someone that can motivate the players"

24. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,733
    And a Kaeding just for super high pressure playoff field goals?!?

• Funny Funny x 2
  25. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Wow...what are the odds?!? (re. the two guys who shared a danish and a pair of headphones on the plane)

26. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    And Romo to take the snap for the field goal

[​IMG]

27. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,383
    I'd go with John Carney for anything 40 yards or less. Who cares if he's 50. It's just kicking.

28. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Quite shcoked Raye isn't the GM.. Spanos is kinda unpredictable for once. Where's Corona Doug? :roflmao:

But in all seriousness.. I bashed Telesco, but I will really bash the guy if Arians is the head coach. I did like what he said though, "We will build through the draft", which means we'll put a whole lot of focus in our drafting for once.

29. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,733
    "Arians? Arians? Arians!?"
    rocky1.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  30. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I had a whole set list of jokes planned out for the Jimmy Puppet. It also puts a kink in my signature banner.