1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Official 2013 coach hirings thread.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Jan 1, 2013.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,670
    Watch this name; Greg Roman

2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Watching name.............................................................................................not doing anything, try google.
    Ah here we go.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3192710/

Greg Roman

[​IMG]

Not sure if he knows anything about football, But he sure can act;)

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,777
    Mr. Telescopio should give you much material with which to work. I mean you have Galileo, that's some kind of wine you can pare up with your Corona. Hell, you have lots to work with.

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Unless Telesco simply doesn't like Arians (personally)... he's gonna be the next HC. This is how it's done. Hire a GM. GM brings in coaches he likes, respects, worked with, etc. HC brings in coaches he likes, respects, worked with, etc.

Unless he pulls Dungy out of that comfy studio... I see Arians in our future.

5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
    Why?

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,670
    Why do people assume that these two, who have known an worked with each other just for one year, are guaranteed to work together again? Only connection between these two is that they worked with Indy for a single year

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    Of who we have actually been tied to, he's my top choice. That SF offense is tailor-made for Rivers - power-running variant on the West Coast Offense.

Also... someone want to explain to me what Rob Ryan has done aside from be a fat, homeless pirate sideshow act to deserve a hire at anything. His defense in Oakland was mediocre. His defense in Cleveland was mediocre. His defense in Dallas was poor. And this was with him having arguably Top 5 (at the time) defensive players in the league on two of those defensive units (Asomugha and Ware).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    Except that he has worked with more coaches than just Bruce Arians. And, in fact, he's only worked with Arians for a whopping one year... after Pagano had done most of the offseason legwork.

9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079

10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    I was hoping if it happened that Bluey would have been able to make me a R-Truth (WWE) "Little Jimmy" sig. #breadcrumbs

11. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Here is my list of candidates as it stands now, no particular order, but these are guys I'd like to see us in contention with,

Vic Fangio, Mike McCoy, Mike Nolan, Greg Roman, Mike Zimmer..

More leaning towards McCoy and Roman because I feel like their in the similar position Sean Payton and Mike McCarthy were in a few years back. But also Mike Nolan because of the staff he can build. He's part of an exquisite coaching tree, and has ties to a lot of NFL teams.

12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    From everything I've read, Fangio has no interest in being a HC (probably why he hasn't gotten any interest from teams); the guy is probably more likely to go the Dick Lebeau route with his career.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,670
    I'm putting Zimmer & Roman near the top of my list

14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    Only reason I'm skeptical of Zimmer is that he was downright terrible as an interim HC in Dallas and it wasn't like that Dallas team was devoid of talent (starting Quincy Carter at QB, yes... but there was plenty of talent on that team).

15. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Kevin Gilbride
    June Jones
    Mike Riley

In no particular order.

16. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Marc Trestman anyone?

17. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,670
    According to Wikipedia he also took over for Atlanta after Bobby Petrino jumped ship mid season. Don't think anyone could've done much with Atlanta that year. Re Dallas I'm going to assume he was still young and wasn't ready to even be an interim coach (if he was interim w Carter at QB it was probably early 2000s). Between then and now though he's likely matured and is ready to roll

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Except that they only worked for the same franchise for 1 year, and there is no guarantee that they had any interaction. Its not like they worked together for 10 years, they may not really even know each other.

19. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
  20. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,732
    Put the center of the screen right up to your nose. It should be blurry. Focus as though you are looking through the
    GREG ROMAN image into the distance. Very slowly move the image away from your face until the image
    slowly turns into... a 3D dolphin! (or unicorn...or Bill Polian...no matter: it's cool no matter what you see!).

Where's Greg Roman.jpg

21. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
  22. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,524
  23. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,383
    Is Nolan part of his own coaching tree? Because the most memorable thing he did as HC of the Niners is where a suit on the sidelines. That was supposed to matter somehow.

Nolan is a very good DC. But he was less than impressive as an HC.

24. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +319
    Bring me the eye of a newt, a frog's tongue, a live goat, and the bones of Vince Lombardi.

25. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,732
    A) Mr. Gingrich's legal counsel are threatening action if one is taken, even if clearly for the greater good
    B) Mr. Depardieu's should be an easy acquisition...it's usually out and flapping about
    C) Though unprovable, a slight preponderance of the evidence suggests that, technically, Mr. Boehner IS still alive
    D) It is believed that these are in a 1985 hyperbaric chamber, in the possession of the estate of a Mr. M. Jackson

So...a difficult task...

26. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    What makes the most sense is that Telesco chooses someone he's confident can lead, coach, and work together with him to put a winning product on the field. That puts Arians at the top of the list. Doesn't it?

The Chargers will interview just enough candidates to rule out any questions that they didn't perform an exhaustive search. But unless someone blows Telesco away as he did the Chargers' GM Search Team... it just makes too much sense that he go with Arians. His resume far exceeds that of Greg Roman, who apparently also should be considered because of his ties to Telesco.

I say just go with it. Arians makes too much sense.

27. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,732
    Did I see enough awesomeness in 2012 from Arians that I would clamor for his hiring?
    No.

But would I expect a freshly minted young, rookie GM to feel safest on his first giant decision,
    picking someone who was a known entity to himself?
    Yes.

28. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Re: 2012... So you didn't see a guy step in as HC mid-season and lead a team that had 60% roster turnover to a playoff berth following a 2 win season? He was also in his first year with this team. Could be a fluke. But if you also consider the QBs he's worked with and been successful with... everyone from Peyton Manning to Ben the Rapist to Derek Freaking Anderson... it's an impressive resume. And a long overdue shot at leading a team.

Maybe no "awesomeness" there. But I don't see another available prospect out there that has a more awesome body of work.

29. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,732
    The lack of awesome (or even very, very good) prospects out there, now, is one of the reasons
    that I was one of the few not yelling for Norv's head. I'm all for change, so long as you're upgrading.
    I didn't know what our best alternative to Mr. .583 was before he was fired, and I still don't know.

As to Arians, yes, I did see "a guy step in as HC mid-season and lead a team that had 60% roster turnover to a playoff berth following a 2 win season." On the surface...impressive. Fluke? Maybe. A lot of narrow wins over god-awful teams. Less than a season to evaluate.
    I've been following the Chargers a long, long time. I know we haven't had many coaches anywhere near
    58+ winning %, so I'm not as furious at Norv as a lot of the guys who are more recent arrivals...who seem to
    feel a bit of entitlement re. winning seasons, that strikes this lifer as kind of funny (not because I want playoff success any less, but because I've suffered playoff droughts of over a decade, that were sooooo much more difficult than the current era).
    Anyway, could Arians be an upgrade? It's certainly possible, but his body of work doesn't convince me he's a great bet.
    If he's hired, I'm okay with that...you're right, there aren't any slam-dunk candidates, so maybe he's
    the best we can do. But I want a strong, winning HC coach for the next 10+ years.
    If Arians is that guy, it will be a pleasant surprise to me.

30. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,777
    Hire Zimmer, he's sure to be a winner!!!