1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official 2014 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, May 8, 2014.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    Talib, Harris, Roby....on paper...it's very formidable.

2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Oh yeah, Nix will be there late in the 3rd... :roflmao:

3. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    looks more like coverage breakdowns waiting to happen to me.

now we just need to upgrade WR

4. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +69
    What does that even mean? The owner wants off man?

5. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    if he isn't, i'm not touching him and his man boobs

6. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    He'll be there with our 57th pick I know that for sure..

7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    This tweet is telling:
    I confirmed with Annie (I'ma name-drop here, but I've met Annie several times, we're Facebook buddies (I know her real first name), she's on "my list" as far as my wife is concerned - though it'll never happen) already, it's not a BS statement. Something she believes 100%.

8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    It means that we've had someone off of Wade's previous staffs in every case (except Rivera) trying to reproduce what Wade did but not knowing it well enough to do it. Pagano was a positional coach under Wade. So was Manusky. Fat Teddy was his DC in Buffalo. It means the DC's have been trying to not screw with the scheme too much from the previous years. The scheme Manusky ran here - including the heavy cushions - was the exact same as he ran in years prior in San Fran. The coaches interpret "bend but don't break" a little too literally, perhaps.

9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    Exactly. 5 DCs in a row not playing press coverage clearly means that Dean Spanos is not a fan of press coverage. Or it could mean the Chargers have lacked the players to execute such a scheme for a long time.

10. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +344
    My guess is more of the latter. Jammer was to slow. Cason had limited athletic ability as well as ball skills. Cromartie was well....just allergic to any type of contact unless it was him holding on to the WR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    Except we haven't. Cro showed considerably better when he was allowed to press - hence one of the reasons why he flourished in the slot so much, he could jam a guy and then work the QB with his quick(er) get-off to make a play on the ball. Jammer was a press-man corner through and through - where he started struggling before old age sapped his speed was largely from the fact that we played him so far off guys and wouldn't let him press. Cason was a press-man corner who lacked the instincts to play zone.

At present we have one (the one we just drafted), maybe two (depending on how Ghee pans out) corners on our roster who have shown any great worth in press. What we've had is corners who just weren't terribly good or were being shoved into a scheme that didn't fit their skill-sets. However, the scheme hasn't changed all that much. We went from a Cover-1 to this past season more of a Cover-3 shell. That's really been the only major change since Rivera was here.

12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    Cro could press, he just didn't like tackling. Cro had no problem with quick jabs to a guy at the line though.

13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    Yeah I don't buy that Dean has any input on what happens on the field. I think it's more coincidence combined with lack of confidence in our pass rushers since Merriman left. Having Jammer 10 yards off the ball was one of the most blatent misuses of talent I've seen in this franchise in the last 20 years. Next to Norvs hysterically inept use of Eddie Royal. (Only more out of necessity than incompetence)

14. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    IMO if the Chargers stand pat and do not trade up in the 2nd they will target a rush linebacker at 57

The reasons being

#1 I don't see a WR that is their kind of guy worth selecting there
    #2 The 2nd tier rush linebacker pool is deep and diverse
    #3 Worthwhile interior linemen will likely be gone

When it comes to the rush linebackers, there are a number who are Chargers kind of guys. Passionate, relentless.... Telesco just said he loves that in Verrett and is looking for guys like that. Well, Murphy isn't the only LB like that, Crichton is a very intense player who could possibly fit. Ealy and Lawrence are both intense players with upside due to high end athleticism although they have far more question marks than a Crichton or Murphy. Attaochu is also a fierce competitor but is a bit of a bull in a china shop and would require patience. There is abundance of rush linebackers available and at least 2 interesting guys should still be there at 57.

If this occurs we may very well see the Chargers select Corey Linsley at the end of the 3rd round and go after Damian Copeland in the 4th, sticking by the general direction of my mock.

15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    Well, there was also the consistent running of Darren Sproles on A- and B-gap dive plays too. Lest we forget.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    And call me ignorant but I didn't watch a lot of ASU this year and already have seen a lot of Sutton in the past...... I'm going to go watch what I can of Carl Bradford, I haven't seen much of him.

17. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    I dont see us passing up on him AT 57 unless a WR we highly value is still there.(Latimer or Lee, maybe Moncrief?)

18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    Attaochu is plan A right now IMO, but I am a big Moncrief guy, I think he's the next Alshon Jeffrey only with more speed. I highly doubt he falls to 57, but if so he's my guy even over KVN, over any OG, and maybe even over Luis Nix.

19. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    i have to say guys, so far i've watched 4 minutes of game footage of bradford where he's lined up as a DE and he is impressive as ****......... another guy who is short for his position but stout as hell, coverts speed to power and vice versa and has beaten tackles off the edge. this guy is throwing his body all around the field with no regard to his safety

gonna watch at least 4-5 games though but so far his footage is extremely enticing

20. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    carl bradford is absolutely violent....... steamrolls offensive linemen and blows up running plays, blitzes like a lunatic from every direction..... i am loving this

• Like Like x 1
  21. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +174
    I was so excited thinking we were getting Roby and of course telesco breaks my poor little heart. ehhh guess i cant complain much about verrett but Roby was my guy.. and of course broncos get him at 31 :cry:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382

interesting kid..... he takes on bigger blockers fearlessly, has some hip fluidity, very good closing speed, good tackler. the question with bradford is can he fit our scheme as another undersized player and does he have upside? was recruited as a fullback and like anthony barr, relies on his athleticism and determination to make plays. can our coaching staff teach this kid some pass rush moves and can he become a technically skilled professional? has better closing speed than any 2nd tier rush linebacker, a touch above lawrence IMO. very intrigued by him, absolutely relentless player, a cannon.

23. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    meh his stanford tape is only adequate, not enough technical ability as a pass rusher for me, probably more suited to ILB forget him

24. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    I think it will come down to Murphy, Attaochu and Crichton.

I think the Chargers would definitely take Attaochu over Murphy, just don't anticipate Attaochu being there which is why I have mocked Murphy to them. He offers the best combination of athleticism/schematic fit/upside out of all the rush linebackers. I honestly wouldn't be opposed to doing a 2+4 to move up to get him. We can ease him in slowly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Plus Bradford is a true T-Rex, 30 1/4" arms.

26. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I still want Van Noy just because I think he's a baller. Just a guy I want on the team, period. Murphy, Attaochu and Crichton would all be fine picks though.

I think Van Noy and Murphy seem to fit the new Chargers brass draft MO with regards to player personality. Crichton might as well.

27. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +753
    I love us taking Jason Verrett, but I wouldn't mind us double dipping another DB in day 2 or 3, say a Phillip Gaines, Jaylen Watkins or a Walt Aikens

I for one hope we grab D line, OLB, or WR in the next 2 rounds

28. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +753
    Lets just hope for a big run on QB's, RB's and TE's

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    I hope it was clear that I was being sarcastic about Dean preferring one type of coverage.

30. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,046

Think you may have misread Blew's meaning in that post Matty..................... he's NOT suggesting in the least that Verrett is soft.

Past Charger CB's have been ............. e.g ScareCro, Cason, Cox just to name a few !!!