1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Official 2014 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, May 8, 2014.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    I have a 2 cousins that are gay, I'm personally fine with it and comfortable around them.

I didn't cringe or change the channel when it was going on, but some old timers who are avid sports fans that were around me told me to do so. I was just stating what was going on in the moment.

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,528
    Perhaps, if you said the "older generation", instead of the "sport's world", you would've been more accurate. The younger sports fans of today aren't hung up on that stuff. Of course, there are always exceptions, and prejudice continues to linger throughout society..... at all levels.

3. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    LOL, you are still correcting him. ******* unbelievable. Man, they are going to have install zippers in everyone's mouths in 20 years at this rate.

4. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    And you're still whining like a little kid. ;)

5. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +520
    A couple of post more and you'll be quoting the first amendment, which is predictable for someone that has no other recourse

6. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +205
    All that kissing that Micheal Sam and his boyfriend were doing was ridiculous and probably "made for television". If a guy and his girl were doing that it would have been just as excessive. It's not just "old man me" saying this, my daughter and her boyfriend were actually laughing at it. She was saying there was no way she wold be kissing him that much!

The NFL and national media got their "feel good" story of the draft with this pick. Seeing if Sam would be drafted probably kept the less die-hard fans still tuned in. I've thought long and hard about how low a Sammy Watkins or Jadeveon Clowney would have slipped if they had announced being gay. Makes you wonder if the reason Sam fell so low was because of a lack of skills (which I doubt being the SEC def player of the year) or his coming out. I think we all know the answer.

It will be interesting to see how this drama plays out during the upcoming months.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,924
    What's the deal with Brandon Coleman? He hasn't even been picked up in UDFA yet.

Did he get busted for drugs or something?

8. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +205
    Was Texas so bad that they couldn't even get one of their players selected???

9. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    Whelp. It doesnt look like we got a single one of your players. Any UDFA you like that we signed?

10. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,222
    So, in general, what do some of you board members think about the Chargers draft?

11. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Personally, I'm getting a little impatient waiting for the mock lovers' inaccurate 2015 mocks!!

Guess I can wait 'til Monday.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    I spent more time on the draft this year than in years past and I can honestly say it was time completely wasted.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    For anyone who hasn't seen it yet. Our 17 UDFAs.

DJ Adams RB Portland St.

Torrence Allen WR W. Texas

Brelan Chancellor WR N. Texas

Alden Darby S Arizona St.

Chris Davis CB Auburn

Greg Ducre CB Washington

Michael Flacco TE New Haven

Micah Hatfield WR Oregon St.

Javontee Herndon WR Arkansas

DJ Johnson OG New Mexico

Tenny Palepoi DL Utah

Alvin Scioneaux LB Wofford

Jeremiah Sirles OT Nebraska

Chase Tenpenny P Nevada

Ricky Tjong-A-Tjoe DL Boise St.

Colton Underwood LB Illinois St.

Ian White OT Boston College

14. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +520
    Liked the first two picks.

I know G is not a sexy pick but we might be happy he's on the team later on, I would have preffered Moncrief.

The NT look like a guy that has the tools and can be coached up.

Not sure about another RB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    I'm honestly shocked. Telesco said he has high expectations for this group of UDFA's.

But, maybe Chris Davis, Alden Darby and DJ Adams. Possibly Torrence Allen as well. That's all I got really. I haven't seen Adams and Allen play but I've heard a few good things from them.

16. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Well, the "older generation" makes up a good portion of the "sport's world".

17. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    My thoughts exactly. Love the first two picks. And I actually really like Cerrethers. A lot of upisde with that immense strength.

The RB pick really threw me. Definitely my least favorite pick. Seems like there's a chance he might not even make the team. We're gonna carry 4 RBs on the roster? Last year we did that at first, but had to cut the guy when we had an injury else where. I remember the kid looked really good in camp and preseason. 4 running backs and 3 QBs will not work.

18. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    Not as much as it used to. ;)

19. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Yeah that was Fozzy Whittaker. Actually played really well for Cleveland too.

I loved all the picks up to Carrethers, after that I was lost. Grice is the best pass catching RB in this draft. Pretty much assures Danny Woodhead, unless he puts up another solid year is gone. Donald Brown signing was insurance to Ryan Mathews for next year, and Marion Grice may be insurance to Danny Woodhead next year too.

We're deff not carrying 3 QB's again, but 4 RB's is a very high possibility.

20. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Right.. there's never a common ground in your replies are there?

21. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +127
    Last year we kept 3 RBs and a FB. I don't think we are going to have a FB this year, so we should have room for 4 RBs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    I don't hate the Grice pick. I only initially did because I was so certain we'd be taking a WR then....and the one I wanted went undrafted, so how much do I know?

Looking at his tape he seems to be a Danny Woodhead/Darren Sproles type which could be good.

As for roster space, do we even employ a fullback?

23. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    The hybrid guy TE/FB Johnson is basically taking the FB slot, unless they cut Phillips. So the roster space is indeed an issue.

24. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    Has anyone been able to find any footage on our UDFA CB Gregory Ducre?

25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    I found high school footage of him on youtube :roflmao:

26. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,407
    Why?

27. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    This last part is why i think we end up carrying 4 backs (as well as Woodheads ability to play in the slot). We are likely going to carry 4 RBs, 4 TEs and 4 WRs (with Woodhead being a 5 WR kind of). So likely the 4 obvious backs, Gates, Green, Phillips and David Johnson (who's equal parts FB and TE), and then Allen, Floyd (could start season on PUP, which would open up another spot for a WR), Brown (I think that he was a bit overwealmed last year learning an entirely new system while still trying to rehab, i think he'll be alright this year), Royal and Inman/Reece (with the other going on the PS).

Also, Tevin Reece may be one of my favorite chargers now, just off one quote and a nickname.... Asking about being drafted late "I dont have a chip on my shoulder, i have a bag of chips on my shoulder" and his nickname at Baylor was "Sweet Feet". I'm down with it.

28. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    There's a TON of upside for this group. Ducre, Torrance Allen, Herndon, Hatfield and Underwood are all athletic freaks who have a lot of promise if they take the coaching their given.

Guys like Davis, and Chancellor are both very good return men, who have a chance to make the roster in that aspect, especially if the team wants to "redshirt" Reece.

Davis has an especially good chance if people think that he can doule as a solid Dime CB, which is a pretty good role for him, or so it seems. There's quite a few oppertunities for depth, so theres chances for these guys to come in and compete. DL, ILB, CB depth are all not in a good position right now. WR is also a spot where depth guys could relaly come in and compete, between Inman, Reece, Hatfield, and Herndon

One interesting guy who the chargers have taken in for a visit and have shown a lot of interest in i guess is Darryl (DJ) Johnson, the OT out of New Mexico, but he also did the same thing with Randy Richards last year, so we'll have to see how he works out. Sirles is also interesting.

It always seems to be a guy out of absolutely nowhere that makes the biggest splash in UDFA's, not one of the guy that everyone knows about because of media hype.

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    Where's the humor in that? :confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Well, I'll tell you something, at least 1 UDFA will make the roster and play a key role. Guess we'll find out!