1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Chargers Draft Day Thread - 4/26/12

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 26, 2012.

1. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    So... you're saying that his suspension at N. Alabama for getting into a fight with an opposing receiver just didn't exist? Because it did. This wasn't some violation of team rules suspension, this was violation of common sense - the same common sense that says don't throw punches at your opponents. In an era of the NFL where they continue to crack down more and more on character of the players on the field, how exactly does that fact that a player's proof thus far that he hasn't moved forward from the poor decisions of his past that earned him suspensions - which also indicate he's a high risk to draw a suspension (that will keep him off the field) - not affect his play on the field.

It's kind of hard to play on the field when you're suspended for the dumb crap you do off it.

2. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    I like those Sports Science shows.

3. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +176
    i conceded to that, yes he is a risk to get suspended i just believe at around pick 50 you have to start asking yourself is the risk worth it? you may not think so but i guarantee there is a GM out there willing to take the risk because of the premium put on good cb play in this league... since we lost out on the 2 premier safeties in the class we still need to adress the secondary although i clearly see your not on the janoris bandwagon :cry:

4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633

I like it! The man has swag..

Only knock is his height and arms. But, I think he can be a 10 sack guy in the NFL. His explosiveness, versatility, and that lower body strength talked about in that video could really help him in the NFL. With a rotation of Phillips, Ingram, Johnson, and Barnes and you plug in a healthy (yeah right) Larry English this team could be very dangerous. BUT, Ingram has had foot problems which also scare me. Hopefully he turns out to be an 8-10 sack guy for us. We don't need a 15-20 sack superstar machine with our current rotation.

Interested to see what we do in the 2nd and 3rd rounds tomorrow.. Still need a SS with Harrison Smith gone off to the Vikings so we shall see what AJ has up his sleeves..

5. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I'm impressed, but then again I want to be impressed! We need help on "D", I hope he is part of the answer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    Casey Heyward's a possibility as a mid-rounder. He needs bulk, but he's got a sixth-sense in terms of feel for the game. RJ (Robert) Blanton from Notre Dame is just begging for a position change and could end up being a steal for someone who has the smarts to put him through it (reminds me of Kurt Coleman from last year's draft). The aforemention Justin Bethel from Presbyterian has a definite Nick Collins feel to his game. Donnie Fletcher from BC is another smart, savvy and still physical player with good size I think could make the switch to safety.

Among the safeties that are left, keep an eye on LSU's Brandon Taylor. I'm not sure he has 2nd round value, but if he's there in the 3rd you grab him and thank Black Jesus you had the chance to draft him. And I'd argue that the best fit for us at safety is still on the board and should be there at our 2nd and possibly even our 3rd round pick - that being Markelle Martin.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602

Interesting note; saw him in highlights lined up at DT in nickel/passing situations and was able to beat guards and centers with ease in the SEC. Remember AJ when he drafted Larry English spoke of bringing a 4 Aces package similar to what the Giants used to do (put their best 4 Pass rushers on the line at once; Umeniyora, Tuck, Kiwanuka & Strahan). I'm wondering if the Chargers are thinking similar for some passing downs. Three or four guys (hell put Johnson at DT, he did it at Alabama) with their hair pinned back chasing the QB, that sounds awesome

8. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I like Antonio Allen, he has 3rd round value, maybe even 4th cause of this weak class as you can see the difference in the positions being selected, Barron at 7 and Smith at 29.. So we could end up with Ingram's teammate and could be a steal as well..

9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    Does that shake look pre planned to you? Goodell was surprisingly smooth about it.

10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    I'm not on for reasons beyond just the character track record. The guy is closer to 5'9' than he is 5'10" and as is 5'10" is short for a corner these days. If he was 6'1" (with the arm length to match) I'd be willing to bet more teams would be willing to overlook the character, but the guy is Alphonso Smith with a tad better ball skills, slicker hips, and a ton worse character. Folks are quick to point to Cortland Finnegan, but he's much more the exception than the rule in terms of short corners succeeding in the league.

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Yes it was planned. As was all the other greeting handshakes Goodell did with the others... This is a production, not something they just stumble through.

12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    In that instance I'd be lining up Martin and Ingram at DT (it's not just a mismatch it's that given the height/arm-length differential it's going to be near impossible for a center or guard to go from chipping one to getting into a clean block on the other), Barnes at the weakside end and likely Phillips at the strong-side end (though I could see flip-flopping those two).

13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    So we got a pass rusher, Mathews back up and camp competion with clipboard jesus at QB:) in one pick hahaha

14. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I think Liuget would be a better fit than Martin.. Martin surely with the bull rush and strength, but Liuget could rush the passer and has that strength..

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
  16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    Hey man you got the right to swing it, I had seen some mock drafts that said he'd fall to us but had a hard time believing it. This was a real score for the Chargers and they're immediately better

17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    We've been misusing Martin terribly. Martin's got the athleticism to wreck guards - honestly I think our coaching staffi s too fixated on certain aesthetics are positions otherwise Martin would have been the clear choice at NT and Garay would have been kicked out to 5-Tech a while ago (and Liuget wouldn't have been drafted at all, let alone any other 5-Tech until the middle rounds for depth). Martin's akin to a larger/longer version of Jay Ratliff in Dallas.

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Ingram is a slightly shorter Upshaw with better quicks. Film study, reps, & Jarrett Johnson will be his biggest friends.

19. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    I forgot Cordy Glenn is still available. If hes gone by our pick, surely we can get Silatolu.

Or even option 3: Kelechi Osemele
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/kelechi-osemele?id=2532922

Positives: Large-bodied college left tackle better off on the right side or moved to guard. Solid pass protector, makes good use of blocking angles and correctly places his hands into opponents. Stays square and uses effective body positioning to seal opponents from the play. Keeps his feet moving throughout the action, jolts defenders with good punch and controls them at the point of attack. Patient and good at picking up stunts and blitzes.
    Negatives: Susceptible to inside moves by pass rushers and loses positioning in pass protection on occasion. Lacks quick, fluid footwork sliding out off the edge. Struggles with balance blocking on the move. Only effective a few yards from the line of scrimmage.
    Analysis: Osemele was a terrific college blocker and offers the skill and body type to start in the NFL. We feel he's most natural at guard but will get consideration at the right tackle position. He should succeed as a starter in a system that reduces his area requirements.

NFLdraftscout:
    Pass Blocking: Keeps shoulders square to the defender and puts himself in very good position to be effective. Does a nice job bending his knees, sinking his hips and anchoring at the point of attack with a naturally wide and strong base. He has ideal length (84-inch wingspan) and extends his arms to keep rushers at bay, but needs to refine his hand use and develop a more aggressive punch. Heavy footed, but has enough lateral quickness to mirror in tight areas - limited range and looks best inside. Uses his eyes well and has really improved staying patient in his stance and not allowing himself to become overextended. Has a bad habit of stopping his feet at contact, allowing savvy defenders to burst pass him. Tends to give up on plays once rusher gains a step - poor recovery quickness.

Run Blocking: Thickly built with plus upper-body strength to control rushers and take them where he wants - shows the powerful hands to redirect rushers. Strong at the point of attack and flashes good power in the run game - has mauling ability to create run lanes. Has an inconsistent motor and doesn't show much passion or finishing ability in his blocking. Needs to improve his hand positioning in order to control rushers.
    Pulling/trapping: Wasn't asked to do much pulling at the college level. Struggles to be consistent blocking in motion and doesn't have the natural foot quickness to cover a lot of ground. Understands angles and stays balanced with coordinated body control.

Initial Quickness: Quick setting up after the snap and slides well to the outside, staying patient and balanced off the snap. Has quick reaction skills to mirror in tight areas. Can be inconsistent in this area at times because of his lackadaisical playing style and needs to keep his weight under control. Has had more than a few false start penalties over his career.

Downfield: A short-area blocker with limited range and doesn't consistently get to the second level. Will play undisciplined at times, especially in space. Lacks a finishing attitude.

Intangibles: Started 44 consecutive games to end his collegiate career, despite battling an ankle injury most of his senior season. Versatile skill-set with experience at offensive tackle and guard. Work ethic is not a strength for him, with questionable conditioning and passion - his weight needs to be monitored. Natural instincts and football IQ are a large concern. Far from a finished product, but obvious upside is there if his field attitude develops - needs to prove mental midget notion is wrong.
    NFL Comparison: Michael Oher, Ravens

20. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    Ok so deffinatly get me Glenn or Silatolu. 2 of the best OG/RT players that also have the footwork to be a pulling G that are left. We better get one of these guys tommorow. Im bettin both are gone by our round 3 pick. And I dont like Osemele only for his unknowns at pulling G. Slow feet dont sound to fixable either.

21. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,054
    NOPE !!!....but the bastards took away my pick in Hightower !!!:mad:

But I'm still happy with the pick of Ingram, I really think this kid could be the answer we've been asking for over the last 6 years.

22. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Excuse me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: I could say I resemble that remark and act offended.

BUT ............

OK, your right and I'll also have you know I can rip a fart with the best of them, ask my Missus, I give out one of the stankiest Dutch ovens known to mankind. :D

23. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054
    let me guess .......................OZ ???

I thought he was a Yank that lived in Australia for awhile and went back to the States ??? :confused:

Well, your shitouttaluck aren't you, 'cause now your stuck with me instead. ;) :D

24. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Holdup here .....................I thought you liked me CBF ???

What is this ?............."Fark with an Aussie Day"..................well so much for the draft then. :)

25. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054
    He's conflicted and is going to live in Hawaii with his transexual ladyboy-friend to sort himself out ?

26. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Who dressed AJ today ???? .....................his pool/cabana boy ?

27. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Did you jump on my bandwagon big boy ?

No wonder the wheels just fell off and mules dropped dead on the spot.

Would really have loved to have seen this kid in a Charger jersey, but not to be, so we move on......................but wish it was anyone but the Pats he ended up with though .... :mad: Bastages !!!

28. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054
    I'm with you ANT....was absolutely thrilled when I seen his name go up, finally something to get excited about in the 1st round.

God, it seems like forever since Ive smiled after hearing our 1st round pick.

29. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054
    And so we should be .............. there's a reason they are always thereabouts or never down for long ...................... great football people who know what the game is all about and aren't afraid to take chances.

2 great picks for those bastards unfortunately. :cautious:

30. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Tell me about it ..........:mad: