1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Mar 10, 2014.

1. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    At this point, I'm not even sure he gets a shot unless we have a WR go down for the season in camp - and it would almost have to be KA for me to see it happening. It's more than just the fact that DX keeps injuring his knee ligaments, it's how he does it - they're all from non-contact injuries, which means they're more a cause of either lazy technique or poor muscle-memory, making him more or less a ticking timebomb on path to another tear if he doesn't fix it.

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,455
    Really can't say for sure, but it's not looking good at this point. He's a long-shot to be ready for the start of the season.

3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Desean Jackson is being shopped :eek:

For a 3rd rounder.. I'd do it in a heartbeat. Makes too much sense. Fits the offense, vertical threat as well and offers a return game. Is from SoCal as well.

4. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Yes let's please add a well known diva to the locker room.

5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
  6. NatroneBomb

NatroneBomb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Anyone think that the front office might be waiting on word about Floyd's health before cutting/keeping Clary? Either one would offer some cap relief if they were to come off the books, but perhaps the FO doesn't want to do both.

Some guys that are still out there that could be useful additions, if there was some extra cap space with which to sign them.

Alex Carrington- DL- Former 3rd rounder who's never quite panned out. Although I do think he may have been mishandled a bit coaching-wise. Size wise very similar to Earl Mitchell who we know the FO had interest in.

Thomas Welch- OT- Big swing tackle who has some familiarity with Coach D. Bounced around the league a bit, but still big and young.

Miles Austin- WR- We all know the story here; very talented but getting older and the injury woes are troubling. Still though, high character, great when he's healthy, and best of all could probably come very cheap at this point. If Floyd is really done, we could do worse than Miles as a mentor to our young WR corps.

7. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Who cares about being a "diva". That stuff can be handled. He hasn't had an off the field issues so I don't see a problem. The guy flat out gets open. The potential speed on this offense to compliment Allen and Gates with Ladarius Green, DeSean Jackson, Eddie Royal and Danny Woodhead would be absurd.

With this scheme we run now, we need guys who are creative with the ball in their hands. Who can make a few people miss. We have Royal and Woodhead and that's about it. Both 3rd down guys.

8. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I'm surprised Telesco hasn't made a run at his formers in Cassius Vaughn and Josh Gordy at CB. Both have experience in the off-man scheme, and especially Vaughn has showcased what he can do in that type of scheme. He closes very well.

9. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I know theres a Cal Bear somewhere out there praying for the greatness of Allen and Jackson being paired together.

10. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    Not sure why one would have anything to do with the other. Floyd would actually cost us more to cut now than keep, so he'd have to be a June 1 cut for us to realize any savings this year.

As for DeSean Jackson, he makes $12.75 million in salary this year so I think it's safe to say he's out of our price range.

11. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Not necessarily, he wants a new contract after signing one just 2 years ago, and we can actually give him that a differ the cap hit.

This also removes a draft need and pick. But, your getting him for a 3rd rounder, who knows if you can get a guy selected in the 3rd round and make an immediate impact like Jaccpot can.

12. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    I'd love to add him but "just do restructure bro" isn't going to cut it. He's already due to make $12.75 million this year and is not getting cut, so he almost certainly won't be taking less than that in any new deal. If we give him that as a signing bonus and pair it with a league minimum salary on a five year deal we're still looking at a cap hit of nearly $4 million for 2014, with Jackson effectively becoming our one key addition for 2015 too. And the $4 million cap hit for 2014 would be our absolute best case scenario. To say nothing of the 3rd rounder we'd lose.

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    12.75 isn't good enough for this chump and you'd like to see the Bolt's make a move for him???? I want the Bolt's to make a move also, just get away from this mirror lover and never look back.

14. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Obviously you would need to make a tough decision here. Malcolm Floyd looks like he might not play. So there could be savings there. Eddie Royal's future could hang in the balance if we traded for him.

Last but not least. Jeromey Clary. Who, if simply just cut, saves us $4.5M. Add that with our current cap # and I believe we're at roughly over $8M.

Give him an 5 year/$55M deal and his cap hits are as followed,

2014: $3.2M
    2015: $10M
    2016: $12.8M
    2017: $15M
    2018: $15M

Something of that variance.

15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    $10.5 million 2014 base (and he wants a new deal that pays him more than that annually, even though he's only 2 years into the most recent contract he signed).

And media outlets (or at least Twitter) is being really lazy with this report. Credible outlets have said this of the value sought:

16. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    A chump? Guy who catches 82 passes for over 1300+ yards and 9 TD's isn't a chump. He has an ego, but it can be dealt with to a degree. Your getting a heck of a football player.

17. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    The key thing with him is probably guaranteed $. As he was only guaranteed $15M of his $48M. He will probably want close to what Mike Wallace has now.

18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    I'm 99% confident DeSean Jackson wouldn't agree to that deal. That's equating out to roughly a $12 million signing bonus. If he sits tight and doesn't re-negotiate anything he's set to make $10.5 million this year.

Also, sorry, but Jackson isn't worth more than $10 million/yr. He's not. People are getting too wrapped up in his production last year and ignoring that he was turned into a fairly one-dimensional receiver by competent defenses in previous years if they actually pressed him at the line.

19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Of course it is, because he's shown a demonstrated track record of demanding a new and improved contract as soon as, or even the season prior to, the guaranteed money on his current contract is out. We'd literally be giving up a 2nd (the Eagles are eating the kind of cap-hit they'd have to in order to trade him for only our late 3rd) for a guy that we'd have to extend twice over the 4-year period we'd have that 2nd round pick under contract.

20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    You can't look at just one season - especially when, let's be honest, there a whole helluvalot more similarity between Andy Reid's offense and Mike McCoy's preferred offense than there is Kelly's and McCoy's.

In the more relevant scheme, he averaged less than 1000 yards and less than 5 TD's per season on his career (and only more than 6 TD's once in his career).

I agree he's not a chump. But he's also not a guy, in the scheme we deploy, that's shown he's worth the kind of compensation he's demanding. His value/production was inflated by Kelly's offensive scheme and Maclin's injury increasing his looks/touches.

21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,763
    I hate free agency, that is all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,763
    He ain't worth the shyte he's made out of. Chump was being nice!!!!!!

23. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    He's been disciplined, benched, and regularly whines about being underpaid. Yes, a cancerous diva.

24. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    You're logic is wasted here. We're obviously operating in the world of Madden. :rolleyes:

25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    He's also a really terrible hip hop record company owner. So there's that too.:laugh:

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. tittylated

tittylated bolttalk cheerleader sweet

Ratings:
    +24
    Maybe its just my gut but I think DX comes back to have a monster season 1200 yards 12 touchdowns .....hahahaha

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,455
    The Darrelle Revis of WRs........ never happy with the deal they just signed. Pass.

28. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,763
    Flavor of the moment, let's sign it up!!!!!!!

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,455
  30. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I just think there's so much we can do with him here. Again, McCoy fits his offensive scheme to his players he has at hand. Jackson can be effective in slants, screens, bubbles, reverses, etc. Not to mention he can blow past you on seams. Not to mention his game changing return ability.

If he can be that over the top guy, opens up stuff underneath for Gates, Green, Woodhead, Allen, etc.

But I agree the amount of snaps he has taken in Kelly's offense compared to their previous year under Reid probably blows it out of the water, so I can see why his #s are skewed.