1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Mar 10, 2014.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    DeSean Jackson for a third rounder? I'd buy that for sure!

2. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87
    From an organizational standpoint, the only player I want on the books with a salary >10M is the QB. Especially when we let OUR Jackson walk to a team willing to pay an average of just over $11M per, a WR who was physical, had a great rapport with Rivers, and was a player who, despite some personal shortcomings and on-field stupidity, was not a diva or a locker room cancer.

If I do pay $11M for a WR, it better be someone like Megatron, Fitzgerald, or VJ. Not a one-dimensional guy with a small frame and a big mouth.

3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Reminds me a lot of the Santonio Holmes situation a few years ago, I'd gladly give up a 3rd too assuming we have a coaching staff that can handle him. (Personalities like that would eat Norv for lunch)

The problem as always is cap, we ain't got none at the moment.

I wouldn't be surprised if he lands in KC (with Reid) or Oakland (with money).

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  4. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87
    I agree for a different reason; KC was victimized by Emmanuel Sanders and his agent; they have shown a need at the WR position and have also shown efforts to upgrade.

Oakland? DJax is the type of speedy, emotional player Al Davis would have loved, that's for sure :). Now? I do not even want to predict what Oakland is thinking...they have a ton of room and let a fine young LT walk out the door for affordable money.

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,770
    The Spanos family has lost more money on free agents than the total income of members of BT combined, is just a guess on my part. Yet, there are folks who swear by their mothers grave they haven't spent any money to improve the team.

There is one thing I know about free agency, the Bolts have usually come out on the shyttie end of the stick.

6. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    Desean would be a perfect complement to Keenan but the Spanos family will keep passing on the Hakeem Nickses and Desean Jacksons of the world because they would rather have a 60% Malcolm Floyd who "they found" instead of the divas who help you win superbowls and all you have to do is stroke their egos. Sometimes in life you have to kiss *** to get where you want to be unfortunately Spanos will only settle for guys who kiss his ***.

Would love to see Hakeem Nicks pull a Shaun Phillips and help knock the Chargers out of the playoffs in 2014 so Dean can eat **** yet another year [​IMG]

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    WTF are you talking about?:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    I don't think its his ego you wanna stroke.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,770
    Those that post from the 51st state should be required to thaw out before posting or just set the whole damn thing afire and warm them up a bit.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +318
    I'd like to see VB return to early season form; he really looked like a fish out of water later on.

IIRC he got shifted to the outside after MF's injury. That's got to be weird. Break ankle in rookie preseason game sit out year. Rookie year redux, make the team as a starter, start clicking with QB, and then halfway through the season get bounced into a new role.

It could be said that there's no excuse for a professional WR not to be able to adapt to whatever the coaches throw at him, but it could also be said that many WRs don't really blossom until their second season, which is essentially what 2014 is for Brown. So I got my hopes.

11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I don't know why he hasn't been signed already, but I would love if Telesco signed this guy to a 1 year (boost up your value) type deal

[​IMG]

Imagine him and Weddle together

12. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Really? We have safeties coming out of our freakin' ears. Far bigger holes to plug.

13. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,500
    You need a lot of extra fingers to plug the holes in the dike, when you don't have a NT. ;)

14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    There's a difference in having bodies and having talent. Just because we have a ton of unknown players at the position doesn't mean they can or cant play the position. Taylor in an unknown coming off an ACL injury while Addae started putting it together at the end of the season but at the end of the day, may just be just a guy. Having a valuable SS would allow Weddle to focus on playing the center field instead of trying to do two positions at once and which would help in the secondary.

I agree we have plenty of other holes to fill, but that doesn't necessarily we will for sure get everything we need in the draft, let alone fill em with players who could actually contribute.

15. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Yes. NT is just one of those holes more pressing than safety.

16. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,770
    Dykes are always getting holes filled, just ask one.

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,500
    I knew someone would take this tact......... surprised it was you though.

18. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,500
    A true NT would disguise a lot of deficiencies elsewhere.

19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    I thought the idea was not to...to be tribadass!!

20. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,770
    No one is perfect and this place can use a little humor every now and again.

21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,770
    Without any consistency of a sustainable rush pass/run from the Lbacker's even a great NT will be ineffective over the long haul. The Bolts have close to 1000 lbs of NT on the roster right now, yet the problems still occurred throughout the season with no QB pressure.

22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    The benefit of the classic 2 gap NT like Jamal will come when we face teams like Seattle, San Francisco, KC, and New England this year...teams that love to run the ball and will probably attempt to jam it down our throat (we were 29th in ypc allowed last year). This is a clear weakness that is going to cost us games, same as our lack of pass rush against teams that like to spread it out and throw all day. That said I think if we have Ingram and Freeney for more than 4 games each during the regular season you're going to see a better pass rush, so at least we have some upside there.

Overall our defense is ripe for the picking, we are lacking talent at all 3 levels. Really what Pagano managed to do with this group last year was amazing.

23. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,770
    Freeney is long in tooth, Ingram is still an unknown the cupboard is still very bare in terms of quality in the Lb'er corps even with these bodies accounted for. I don't care who they put out there at NT, without support from a strong and talented LB'er corps all bets are off.

24. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    A 2 gapping NT is all that is needed. Doesn't matter who it is, just a guy who knows the scheme. But, we do not need to spend a 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounder to find a 2 gapper NT in the draft.

25. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    I'm agreeing that we need a NT, especially more than another safety, OK?. There's a list of defensive players we need worse than another safety - CB(s), OLB, possibly another DE/DT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,500
    I know you were agreeing...... wasn't that clear?

That list of defensive priorities is correct in my view. I'd even go as far to say that there are offensive needs that are greater than safety....... WR being one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    I didn't. Sorry for my confusion.

I agree on WR as well as OL. We need to be developing a center. Hardwick could retire at any moment.

28. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,500
    Exactly. Don't wait until you have to draft a replacement...... give the guy a year to learn.

29. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +318
    What he said ^

IMHO NT = biggest team need...but unless TT shakes the tree to make something drop in our laps, it looks like Lissemore & co. for 2014.

30. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,770
    It wouldn't be much help to have the best NT in the league without a top flight line-backing corps. The Bolt starting lb'ers are still suspect and unproven at best. They had some success late last year but they don't strike fear in the minds of OC's around the league. Sure go out and spend a ton on a NT, without a proven supporting cast it's dollars in the wind.