1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Mar 10, 2014.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    Sounds like we have interest in Nicks.

2. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +69
    Vince Wilfork has asked the Patriots to release him. I'd take him.

3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    UTKevinAcee ‏@UTKevinAcee 12m
    So you think the Chargers passed on the decent FA tackles but will sign Vince Wilfork? Love the optimism, but get ready for Sean Lissemore.

4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    I think we're around 32k in available cap right now

5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
  6. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +523
    A lot of the Denver fans falsely believe that it was their D which cost them the Championship. Since the Denver O couldn't get :poop: going in the SB as their OL was constantly being pushed back into Manning's face, I'd argue that it was in fact their "vaunted" offense which was more problematic, although Manning as he often does, had a decent day as far as number of passes and pass completions were concerned. The Seattle D with their strength, speed and their ability to stick to the Denver receivers like glue, held and limited Manning to many shorter underneath routes. The bottom line was that since the Denver D couldn't do diddly-squat, the Denver D as almost all defenses do, finally caved in.

Now in no way shape or form I am fooling myself that with the Denver defensive backfield already having been suspect, their 2014 FA moves did not at least on paper improve both their pass rush and their secondary. The contention for me still remains that their OL and their receivers could not handle the Seahawks' D. Although Ryan Clady is coming back to the LT position which should be a big boost, with the departure of Eric Decker and their average running game (I'm not very high on Moreno and Ball) Denver is not a shoe in as their fans seem to be ecstatically screaming!

7. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Lol why are people panicking??

There is still plenty of players on the market and we're on Day 3 of FA. More players are actually being released today so that's adding to the market.

Making a big splash in FA never works.

8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    Except for QBs like Brees and Manning you are correct.

9. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    But look at the Saints 2006 off-season moves and the Broncos 2012 off-season moves, both Manning and Brees where there only "big" signings.

Last time we saw a team make a splash like this via FA was last year's Miami Dolphins team and also the 2011 Philadelphia Eagles.

Now I know those QBs are on different levels than Tannehill or Vick, but it still doesn't justify the cost of spending crazy in FA. It'll catch up to Denver. They'll suck again when Manning calls it quits.

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    Apparently you missed the part where I said you are correct? Haha;)

11. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    No I know, I was just saying those were their only big signings those off-seasons. They weren't loading up on contracts like this Denver team is.

I'm not worried, let the Chargers worry about the Chargers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    That's why the Charger front office is changing the slogan from "Bolt up!"
    to "If Rivers is still good in '16, we may have a shot then!" :D

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  13. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +69
    Do you think the Broncos care? Of course not. They're going for it as aggressively as possible while Manning is still alive. This is a very different situation from the Eagles and obviously nothing like the Dolphins of last year. The Broncos aren't trying to buy an AFC championship--they're coming off of one. This whole thing about how you can't buy championships doesn't really apply to teams that were in the Super Bowl last year. That's exactly the type of club that should be doing whatever it takes to win now.

14. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Well, you don't win Super Bowl's on the 3rd day of FA.

If I recall, we got some very effective DL on the waiver/trade block in Lissemore and Guy. Look for Telesco to continue to work that waiver/trade block.

The big name free agent deals are just about done. Market is coming down, look for Telesco to add some more depth and possibly bargain starters. From what I hear, Tarrell Brown is being extremely undervalued by teams. This wreaks of Telesco.

15. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    If the window is now, then why are you signing TJ Ward for 4 years, Aqib Talib for 6 years? Especially with all the deals they'll have coming up in 2015 they'll have to extend. John Elway is going to fall flat on his face in Denver along with Peyton Manning.

But I'm not worried about them. I bet you we beat the Broncos twice next year. And that's a direct quote.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    We've signed QB Kellen Clemens on a 2 year deal.

Bet you this is to help Rivers prepare for the NFC West teams we have to play this year. Seahawks, Rams, Cardinals, 49ers. All very tough games that will have to be grinded out.

17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    And don't have to be under the cap until June 1st...

18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    Probably cheap. Could be a camp-body. We weren't going to go into the preseason with just two QB's. If Sorenson matches his play or outplays him, Clemens probably doesn't make it to Week 1. But better to have a solid-if-unspectacular backup QB and not need him than to need one and be stuck having to grasp at the Brady Quinn's of the world.

19. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Just edited that post. Clemens was decent last year. But, he does know the NFC West, and boy oh boy will we need all the extra knowledge/preparation for those games.

20. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +69
    First of all, the window is not necessarily just one year. Second, TJ Ward and Aqib Talib weren't taking one year deals. Third, giving them multiple years is exactly how you are supposed to mortgage the future; if you gave them just one year the dollar figure would have to be high and it would all count against the cap this year. Using signing bonuses or guarantees beyond this year minimizes the cap hit in 2014, allowing them to sign as many players as possible. Fourth, those guys are not likely to be on the team for four and six years. Talib's deal is really 3/27, but again, in order to minimize the cap hit they extend it to six. As I'm sure you know, what matters in NFL contracts is guaranteed money, not years. We could have given Kellen Clemens 6 years, $90 million instead of the cheap two year deal we offered, but both could have the same minimal guarantees.

By doing this the Broncos are absolutely screwing themselves down the line. But that's what you're supposed to do at the stage they're in.

21. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    Because, as is the case with 90% of non-rookie contracts in the NFL, the years and total value of the contract are largely moot. The guaranteed money (which includes the signing bonus because... well.. getting paid a bonus up front is about as guaranteed as money gets) is what dictates how long a player typically plays on a given contract.

Denver's deals aren't terrible - unless/until some of those guys start picking up injuries like they have the past several seasons. They aren't in a position like the Saints (who also appear like they're going all-in for Brees' last couple seasons) where they literally have mortgaged the future on the next 1-2 years - or on Brees and Tom Condon ever consenting to taking a pay-cut (fat chance of that... Condon would chloroform Brees and stash him in a closet to keep him from even considering it). But the Donkeys are playing with fire. It's going to cost them $9.8m to keep Von Miller under contract next year - that's what his 5th year option comes to, and he could still hold out for a long-term deal if he hasn't received an offer he likes by that point. They're looking like they're going to effectively put off extending Demaryius Thomas and Julius Thomas till next year - and barring those guys being willing to take a team-friendly discount (which, if they're only going to see the benefit of Peyton for at most one more season past this one, what's their motivation to do that, versus jumping to a team in a state with lower income tax rates where the same contract nets them more money in pocket), that means that they're running the risk that potentially AJ Green, Roddy White, and Jimmy Graham could sign new deals that likely pay them right around Top 3 at their respective positions at minimum. And with the production of both, you can bet that their agents will be telling them they "deserve" that kind of money too because of how much they've "produced" the past two years (last and this). Chris Harris' fate may be decided based upon what they do in the draft - given the going rate on corners with starting experience, he's going to command $6-8m per, potentially more.

If the cap goes up to $150m as has been projected, they'll be sitting on just over $50m in cap space... with all of 24 players under contract - gaining around $14m more if Peyton retires (they'll still have to account for $5m in dead money for prorations of the $10m salary advance they gave him last year as a "restructure bonus" so that they could make those forays into 1- and 2-year free agent deals). So, say Jimmy Graham wins his appeal to the league and the Saints are told they need to pay him like a WR. That means his AAV is likely going to be north of $9 million/yr - which will be what Thomas will seek. AJ Green and Roddy White's agents are likely to use Calvin Johnson's deal as the benchmark for their guys, so even if they come in a bit under that's $12-14 million/yr. Plus Von's $9.8 million option. That puts them at 27 players on their roster (mind you, teams take 90 players to camp and are charged cap-hits for the 51 most-expensive) and between $15-18 million to cover the cap hits of the other 24. Meanwhile the vet minimum goes up again next year, to just over $800K minimum for players with 4 or more years experience. And other starters hitting free agency go beyond just Chris Harris to include Derek Wolfe, Terrence Knighton, Raheem Moore, and Wes Welker.

I suppose it's what you do when you're selling your soul to the devil (Manning) to get him another ring. And I'm not as optimistic as you, but I'm still fairly confident that we split the series with the Broncos next season.

22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    OK, so you put it more succinctly than I did... but I got to use the word succinctly on account of that. So I am appeased.

23. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    The last 2 sentences is where I'm getting at.

Look at their 2015 free agents: Demaryius Thomas, Julius Thomas, Wes Welker, Orlando Franklin, Terrance Knighton, Von Miller, Chris Harris and Rahim Moore. All starters, except Welker, but he should probably be considered one by the number of snaps he averages.

They lost Eric Decker this year as well. I know Aqib Talib and TJ Ward aren't taking 1 year deals. My main point is this is not how you operate a team. You don't get into these win now modes and then suck immediately after.

But hey, I would love to see the Donkeys screw themselves. It would be awesome to take Demaryius Thomas away from them or Von Miller next year.

24. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Football Gods please bring Steve Smith to SD. I think he'll come cheap since Carolina is giving him $3M to walk this year.

Did anybody here his comments today? I love that fire in a WR.

25. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    So Kellen Clemens deal is 2 years/$3M.

26. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Captain Munnerlyn just got a 3 year deal that could be worth up to $15M from the Vikings.

27. tittylated

tittylated bolttalk cheerleader sweet

Ratings:
    +24
    Clipboard kellen everybody

28. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +69
    I would agree if the Broncos weren't coming off of a Super Bowl appearance and didn't have Peyton Manning running the show. If the Broncos had gone 8-8 last year, then sure, don't go all in. If Peyton Manning were 25? Think long term Elway. But with Peyton Manning at 38 and plenty of other talent on the roster you gotta get after it while you can.

Back to the Chargers: According to some dude from Yahoo Sports:

"Teams reaching out on WR Steve Smith: Ravens, Patriots, Chargers, Redskins, Seahawks. Smith expected to talk to Ravens' Gary Kubiak tonight."

Also, in addition to signing Justin Tuck the Raiders signed Lamar Woodley. Good to see them chasing names.

29. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    Exactly. Good luck resigning all those players. This really is the last year, last year to win with all these players together.

The cap is projected to go up to $140M next year. The cap hit for the players still in contract will likely be higher than it was this year as money is always pushed back. Von miller and both Thomas's are gonna demand big contracts. As they deserve. If manning retires they have a chance at retaining the majority of those players.

30. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +177
    I know this is pretty off topic but just I just saw some ridiculous rankings on bleacherreport. they had ronnie brown as the 42nd ranked rb last yr and donald brown ranked 56.. if that isnt silly enough they gave ronnie brown a 20/25 on speed while giving brown a 19/25.. I thought Matt Miller was one of the few somewhat credible writers on there but boy was I wrong, this guy has no clue what he is talking about lol