1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Day Thread: Chargers @ Chiefs 10/31: LOSS 23 - 20

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Oct 31, 2011.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    Chiefs stink. Refs stink. But so do we.

• Like Like x 1
  2. gb911

gb911 Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I do agree, Brinkley may be our future back.

3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    his replies.. Ugh.. You know.. Ugh.. Ahh..

GET OUT NORV! I'm serious.. we will not WIN ANYTHING with him as a coach..

4. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    All I can say about this game is that there was an awful lot of suckage, accompanied by much yellage here at my house and followed with some rather profane cussage.

I am really beginning to hate this season........:mad:

• Like Like x 1
  5. gb911

gb911 Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    We want Chucky, (Gruden). If we could get him as coach we would bring home a Super Bowl within 2 years.

6. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    I don't think so.. We cannot base him off one game guys.. He is Sproles like.. Third down guy defiantly.. but he won't get the benefit of the doubt over Tolbert or Mathews..

7. gb911

gb911 Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Tolbert is solid, but Mathews is too brittle. Trade him for a role of tape.

8. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear...

Ratings:
    +295
    We flat out blew this...I won't be surprised if we are 4-5 after Oakland doing crap like this.

Tonight was a new low, I hope it goes no lower.

9. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Rivers is not an elite QB. So sad. He has a long way to go and he is damaging his reputation with each and every game this year. I support PR and want to invest in him for the future, but we can't rely on him as our football savory.

10. gb911

gb911 Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    We need someone to light a fire under our ***. I guess showing up and collecting a paycheck is good enough for our guys. The Superbowl is for other teams. We have no leadership, on the coaching staff or the locker room.

11. gb911

gb911 Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    i think i'm gonna be sick......

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. airbolt

airbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    Like that's a bad thing, Sproles is a winner. An all purpose guy who can block, run & pass. Matthews is questionable, not tough enough? Maybe. Too frigging brittle.

14. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    I wan't this man!!!

We need someone dedicated to winning like this. Someone with a personalitY!

15. airbolt

airbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    Let's be clear here. Norv has to go after the end of the season. However I do not blame Norv for Rivers playing
    & acting like his head is up his _ _ _ for most of the season. He has some issues, this last stunt was another
    mental mistake.

16. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Boy, if Rivers thought he was annoyed last week, with
    repeated "What's wrong with Philip Rivers?" questions,
    what the Hell is he going to do THIS week?

(unlike a Southwest commercial, he can't just hop a plane to the Bahamas)

• Like Like x 1
  17. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    What about the rest of the team and the terrible game management? Sure Rivers seems like he's been on drugs or something(Whatever he's smokin I wish I knew because it mus be amazing) but even with rivers's terrible play we could have won most of our games if our team executed a little more and we didn't make stupid game management decisions. Rivers's play is inexcusable but so is norv!

18. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +52
    I would love Rob Ryan as the Coach of the Chargers!!

Can you imagine the frothing anger if Rob gets the job that Ryan wanted? haha lol That would be priceless!!

20. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    HAHAHA yeah it would. Imagine rob getting it next year and beating rex in the aft championship game!

21. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    I have not watched the whole game as it was on middle of the night over here, got extended highlights. What a depressing score and way to finish. Only plus for me is its great to see Brinkley have the game he had, delighted for him.

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I don't know who the bigger pussies are .... the team or the fans.

At least AJ is gawd. :rolleyes:

Maybe the team will do better with all of those new luxury suites in LA. :roflmao:

23. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    The Bolt's have problems not only on the field but that's only where it starts. The path is plenty long and leads all the way up to the top.

24. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Wait! AJ is gawd... I though he was the golden calf!

I cant keep this shyte straight anymore!b:coffee:

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Summon up the Flute Tooter. He can set it straight. :roflmao:

26. Navybolt

Navybolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    We had a group of trick or treaters come to our door masquerading as NFL players. Then we went back to the TV and watched the Chargers in an equivalent masquerade which was not as entertaining. I have not been so embarrassed over the Charger's play since the Ryan Leaf era. In fact, even when they lost, there has been some competence in their play. This year, even when they won it has been a sad affair. The Bolts have reverted back to the Ryan Leaf era clown show!

We can't blame it all on Phillip Rivers... We desperately need a running game to take some pressure off him. Dump the broken fumbler Mathews and find a running back. He doesn't need to be great, just adequate which Mathews is not! After-all, playing like this, we should have a pretty high draft pick next year!

Finding a competent coach will be a bit more difficult but, EQUALLY AS CRITICAL.

27. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,618
    Good QBs have bad seasons, even Manning and Brady.

We've all seen PR excel, this season is the exception.

28. 65TossPowerTrap

65TossPowerTrap BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    You rang? :)

Not here to rub it in, just saw that you wanted me back. Sorry I couldn't be here earlier, but I'll flat out admit it, after Haley's terrible mismanagement of preseason and the rash of injuries that followed, I was ready to give up on this season as a lost cause. I still think Haley was an idiot, basically skipping training camp AND preseason and arrogantly thinking HIS "fitness program" was more important than both, but I have to give him credit for making something out of nothing. We are not likely to do much, if anything, this year, but it's fun to have at least a little excitement in what was written off by most as a lost year due to devastating injuries.

Anyway, I actually do feel bad for Chargers fans after last night's game. Those are the types of games we used to lose. Was an incredible game (even if both teams kind of sucked). An instant classic that will go down with "The Drive, The Fumble, and the Miracle at the Meadowlands" in NFL Films legend.

Despite the win, I am under no illusions that the Chiefs are a great or even a good team this year. We needed the game last night more than you did, and needed help from the crowd, fireworks...Halloween ghosts...everything...to get it.

The Chiefs may go on a little run here and make it exciting, but I doubt we'll make it through the last 5 games in good shape. The question will be, how well will the Raiders and Bolts fare facing most of the same opponents.

The one question I have is, why Norv is blamed for everything? I mean I know he's not a fiery guy like Haley but almost everyone who's played for him seems to think he's a great coach. Very few of the Chargers issues last night seemed to be directly attributable to his decisions...unless you are just saying they were simply not well-prepared, which could be the case. I don't know. I mean, he couldn't kick the field goal with a minute left and give us time in regulation. It was the right call to run another play. It was just a freak occurrence that Rivers got spooked. I am just wondering why players who make some pretty big mistakes seem to take less blame than Norv.

29. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,405
    Because, in the end, you can't fire all the players...... just the coach. It's the easy solution, but it's rarely the real answer to the problem. All the issues we've seen with this team can't simply be attributable to the coaching.

Rivers problems are his own. If Norv was instrumental in developing Rivers, then it's highly unlikely he would suddenly give him a lobotomy. The injuries are contributing, just as they did last season. If guys aren't available to practice, then they aren't in sync with one another. That seems to be an issue particularly with the offense.

The WRs have not been getting open this year, like they have in the past. This has been particularly true in the red zone. You can call any play you want, but if the receivers can't get separation, then there's no target to throw to.

The Chargers were missing some key players, and it showed up on the field. McNeill without Dielman's help was exposed against Hali. Losing our best pass rusher, Phillips, gave Cassel more time to complete passes. The Chargers did a good job stopping the run, but they couldn't get enough pressure. LaBoy, Barnes, and Gamble, are not in Hali's class.... not even close.

30. 65TossPowerTrap

65TossPowerTrap BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    I would agree that losing Phillips hurt. He usually has monster games against us, and Hali was abusing people, but he has done that against everyone lately. If we had any pass rusher other than him, we'd truly be dangerous on defense, especially with a better than average secondary even without our best player in Eric Berry.

A couple of things I noticed: I found it interesting that Laboy is the same guy Dexter McCluster burned for his first and only touchdown from scrimmage when we played San Fran last year. Same juke move that he threw on him last night in overtime and everything.

Eric Weddle is a ball hawk. I love watching him play (even though I hate watching him play against us).

The Chargers really seem to miss Darren Sproles, and not just cause he went to highschool here and played at K-State. They just don't seem to have that underneath option they always did that was so maddening when it seemed you had everything covered and Rivers just dumped it down to Sproles for 7 or 8.

The Chargers dominated when the Chiefs were in 1 deep man to man coverage and faltered when the Chiefs disguised that defense dropping into a 3 deep or 2 deep zone from the same single safety high look. I am not saying this confused Rivers, but the timing wasnt there and it killed them in the Red Zone which is where we usually switched to zone.

I think the Chiefs ran on every single first down - usually ineffectively. I know they want to stick with balance, but they have to mix it up. The way we use Dexter McCluster is stupid. Lining him up in a single back set and ving him run up the middle is ridiculous. Darren Sproles may have been small, but he had a tailback's build. Low, huge muscular legs, powerful. Dexter is just small lol. I know the dude, he's like 5'6" 175 lbs. I don't know how he ever survives a game.

In contrast, I think Ryan Matthews is under utilized. That guy has deceptive speed and power. Many times last night it looked like he took a step, cut once outside, slashed toward the sideline for what appeared to be a 2-3 yard gain only to gain 6 or 7 yards. He falls forward and takes good angles. If he can hang on to the ball, he could be a real weapon.

Gates...Gates is a beast. It's hard to criticize him. But he seems...less scary lately. I dont know if that's Rivers, injury or a combination of both, but he just seemed like another guy last night. And yes, the Offensive Pass Interference call against him was B.S. refs made some great calls and some terrible ones for both teams.

Finally, regardless of his first quarter and baffling fumble, Rivers is still amazing - ESPECIALLY when a play breaks down. So many times last night I thought we had him, and he becomes that backyard quarterback finding someone 18 yards down field. One play in particular epitomized this. Hali bull rushed McNeil I think and drove him 8 yards straight back into Rivers. I thought for sure they all went down, but out of the pile, Rivers squirts into a roll out and fires a strike 15 yards downfield. I about ripped my hair out, and then said, that was just an incredible play by Hali...and a BETTER play by Rivers.

• Like Like x 1