1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Day Thread: Chargers @ Chiefs 10/31: LOSS 23 - 20

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Nice take........ don't disagree with anything there.

Gates is not the same player since the foot injury. He's still a very good TE, he's just not the best anymore. Jamming him at the line works, because he doesn't have the same explosiveness he had pre injury.

Rivers is a mystery to me. We saw flashes of his greatness in the 2nd half, but he's making boneheaded plays that are uncharacteristic. The fumbled snap was a new low. This season could get ugly fast with this 3 games in 11 days BS. I'm not sure homefield advantage will mean much against the Packers. Rogers is on fire like Brady was in the "almost perfect" season. The Raiders may get the QB spot straightened out in time for the following game.

The AFC may be wide open this year...... Chargers missed a golden opportunity to create separation for themselves. It's be a slugfest now.

2. 65TossPowerTrap

65TossPowerTrap BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    One of our local radio guys said before the game, the blueprint for beating the Chargers is to play tough bend don't break defense to minimize Rivers' brilliance, make sure you have a balanced attack on offense, even if drives stall, and most importantly, capitalize on the 1 or 2 obligatory Rivers gifts during the game.

Early on I thought we did well to capitalize on his first gift INT to safety Kendrick Lewis, but failed to capitalize on the second gift-wrapped INT to Brandon Flowers who dropped the ball.

I could not anticipate a much bigger dropped ball 3 quarters later!

As nervous as Cassel makes me as a Chiefs fan, I can only imagine that the yin and yang of Phillip Rivers has to be maddening this year.

3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Yep, Rivers tends to overthrow early, because he's too amped up at the start. Settles down after the 1st quarter, usually, and he makes better throws.

The Flowers drop was comical...... that was an absolute gift. The main difference between the two QBs last night was that Cassel had 2-3 seconds longer on average to find and open target. Rivers couldn't get through his progressions because he had to get rid of the ball.

4. 65TossPowerTrap

65TossPowerTrap BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    And I don't think anyone but Tamba Hali ever got close to him...but he was always there. He's making a huge case for team MVP because I don't think we'd ever get any pressure without him.

Rivers settled down nicely though and the adjustments to our extensive cover 1 defenses were impressive.

5. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +161
    I hate to say it, but I had a bad feeling about this game. I watched the Lions completley destroy the Broncos. The Chargers barely escaped with a win. That told me the Chargers defense is not very good right now. I saw the truck coming Monday night, and yes it ran us over. This team seems completley out of sync. The injuries and mistakes are too much to overcome.

6. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,152
    Joe, I am going to disagree with you on the point about the D, they are what kept us in the game during the middle quarters. I am not going to blame a kid that got his first start ever going against some good receivers playing at CB for the TD that he got burned on, especially since the safety was standing on the 20 looking on. Even the press had good things to say for our defense, it was a hard-fought game, lots of penalties, bad calls and fortuitous calls, player injuries, and playing in a hostile environment. It was as close as having a hand turned the wrong way on a ball being snapped that cost us the game. At least that's how I see it.

Pointy

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,626
    welcome back and by all means feel free to rub it in