1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Day Thread: Chargers @ Seahawks - 9/26: LOSS 27 - 20

Discussion in 'Game Day Archive' started by Concudan, Sep 26, 2010.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    Penalties, turnovers, piss poor special teams coverage. Have we seen this movie before?

2. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +326
    The ref may have sucked but the team sucked more!!!

3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This game was served up on a silver platter by the special teams.

• Like Like x 1
  4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    It's real easy to blame the coach, but kickoff return coverage really isn't about scheme. It's about 11 guys running down the field, staying in their lanes and making a phucking tackle.

5. ColdBlooded

ColdBlooded BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    Our 2 minute offense is good between the 20 yard lines, once we get in the redzone our lineman can't block, we get false starts and receivers can't get separation WTF?

6. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +154
    The offense should a lot of heart. The defense played great. The special teams cost us this one for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ColdBlooded

ColdBlooded BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    Defense played well they held them to field goals after our Turnovers.

Steve Crosby needs to go, 2 games special teams has cost us a chance, we overcame the turnovers but 2 return tds, and 3 other returns to our side of the field come on

8. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +52
    Rivers needs to take charge and rip the rest of team a new A-hole!!! The team let Phillip down today...sux to be Rivers today.

Even thou I am not going to throw the towel in just yet, I am a little worried as Superbowl calibre teams dont make simple mistakes like the Chargers did today...FACT.

Chargers lost me a Grand today! Hell St Louis and Tennesse got up...and my own team fukd me

9. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +154
    I don't thinkwe should be allowed to laugh at other teams defenses anymore. It just bites us in the butt.
    Right now there are no sure wins for us, until we stop playing mistake ridden football.

10. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +52
    Norvs coaching is built around intriqute details and complexities of offensive strategies...obviously over looking getting and maintaining the basics of...catch the ball, tackle the player, block the guy etc...

Its like the Chargers coaches are trying to teach a masters Degree to 5th graders! (or whatever the equivelant grade in your country is) lol

11. ColdBlooded

ColdBlooded BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    We need to get in the huddle with 15 or 20 sec like the colts do, this waiting till 5 secs crap is killing us

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Special teams suck!!!

Too many turnovers.

Great passing yardage in second half (congratulations PHILIP RIVERS!!!)

O-line still less than optimal.

Special teams suck.

Too many effin' penalties.

Too many delays-of-game.

Players in too big a hurry, forget they haven't gotten the ball yet and start running.

Did I mention that special teams suck??!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Please tell us how you really feel. :=)

14. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +154
    Thank goodness the season is still young. We can still right this ship and turn around all the bad mistakes.
    I will keep hope alive, but be very nervous for awhile. Our poor September record continues. I'll be happy to see September go.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This team played well enough on defense and offense to win this game, despite the inconsistencies and mistakes. Special Teams screwed the pooch on this one.

16. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    The season is young and there is still a lot of ball to be played. With all that went wrong in this game it was still winnable, no quit and that's what it takes in the long run.

17. VenomSyndrome

VenomSyndrome Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Don't forget that this is how our seasons alway start!!!

18. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    This is true. But something feels wrong about this year......I can't really explain it, but I've been a Chargers fan for over 40 years and I know the team, the owners, the fans, the San Diego culture---all of it. Now, I know that for the last several seasons we've been slow starters, and we are certainly no strangers to crummy first halves; even today, the defense was firing on all 8 cylinders in the second half, and that Rivers-to-Gates combo still has to be one of the biggest scoring threats in the NFL. And of course, Scifres is brilliant as always, and I'm really learning to love that human bowling ball called Tolbert in a big way.

But with those notable exceptions, much of the team looks weirdly disconnected on the field....like they're just phoning it in. Our special teams blow chunks, our O-line is inconsistent at best, and our D is getting thin with all the injuries. I think Shawne Merriman is pretty much finished---he 'breaks' waaaay too easily these days---and none of the others are getting any younger either. Sproles has been pathetic lately. Rivers is going to get injured if he keeps eating **** the way he did in the first half today; his linemen have simply got to do a better job of protecting him so that if we DO make it to the post-season, we'll still have that shotgun arm of his to get us down the field when time is short and the game's on the line.

I'm not sure what it's going to take to pull the Charger organization's collective cranium out of its rectal vault and remind them---players and management both---that they are magnificently paid not just to entertain, but to perform a job to the best of their ability. These are the best of the best, the people that zillions of Pop Warner kids and high-school players and college boys want to become someday, but never will because they lack the talent and the drive to make it in the NFL.

And that's all I have to say about that.

19. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    I feel your pain, being a Bolt fan since the mid 60's hasn't been easy. Win, lose or draw, I still love this team and continue to support them. I truly believe this team is better than what we've seen thus far, to play so bad yet still have a shot gives me hope.

The worst part is they were beaten by their own hand, for that, I am sick. Two ST TD's given up was just way to much to overcome as it turned out. Something needs to be done whether it be in the coaching staff or player changes or punishment by extra work. The message needs to be loud and clear, that type of exhibition of play will not be tolerated again.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +441
    I have so many issues with this game/performance that I'd be here forever writing about it. Instead, maybe someone can answer this one. My understanding (certainly last year) was that Chudzinski (up in the box) would help alot when it came to clock management. With Norv calling the plays he cannot (also) be 100% sure of where we are at with the clock/timeouts etc. So who is not doing their job now then eh?. We suck when it comes to getting a play off in time. For the life of me I often wonder WTF Clarence Shelmon does on the sideline. If ever there was a 'job for the boys' that must be it. No offence to anyone but someone needs to take responsibility for the effin clock. Be it Chud or Clarence I don't care, but someone better get the finger outta their behind.

21. NW Bolt Babe

NW Bolt Babe RIP Jr.

Ratings:
    +94
    I agree. The Chargers' clock management has been horrible over the years. They are constantly up against the play clock. It just creates opportunities for more mistakes and broken plays.

That said, yesterday was particularly tough. I was the game and from the beginning, the noise level during our offensive downs. During the last two sets of downs, it was even louder, though I don't understand how that was possible. Rivers and the offense had a terrible time communicating, yet they STILL put the ball in the end zone 3 times. Amazing job.

But, none of that excuses their lax time management which has plagued the team through several coaching regimes. Why? Is there no one person assigned to watch and manage? What an easy fix for a lot of problems.

22. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Philip should be able to call his own play's, problem solved. If not for the whole game then at least during the 2 minute drill or hurry-up offense. Whatever it is they are doing now doesn't work and has raised it's ugly head more times than needs to be noted.

23. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,610
    QTF

24. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Well, I thought we had it.

25. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Crayton plays well in loss

[​IMG]

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    Posted 19 hours ago
    10-18-2010

The pass offense made plays late in the game without Antonio Gates, Malcom Floyd and Legedu Naanee, thanks to Patrick Crayton, who topped 100 yards receiving.

SAN DIEGO – Two things seemed to work against San Diego’s prolific passing offense Sunday.
    The Rams sacked Philip Rivers seven times, and tight end Antonio Gates (leg) and starting receivers Malcom Floyd (hamstring) and Legedu Naanee (hamstring) weren’t on the field late in the game.
    Patrick Crayton did his best to compensate for one of those.
    Crayton, who played in place of the injured Naanee, caught six of the seven passes thrown his direction for 117 yards. He made multiple catches on both of San Diego’s touchdown drives.
    Those numbers, of course, sounded more like fingernails on a chalkboard to Crayton after the game.
    “You hate it. It’s a horrible feeling. Regardless of any individual performance, the end result (needs to be) a ‘W’ for the team,” Crayton said. “If you don’t get that, you can take away all my catches or anybody else’s catches. If we don’t get the ‘W’ it doesn’t matter.”
    Down to Crayton, Buster Davis and Richard Goodman at receiver, the Chargers found ways to move the ball in the second half.
    Davis made two 17-yard catches along the left sideline on a fourth-quarter drive that reached the St. Louis 17 but ended in a blocked field goal. Darren Sproles caught five passes for 48 yards and continues to be a catalyst during two-minute drives.
    “You just go. You keep grinding,” Rivers said of his mindset minus his top three targets. “You don’t have a lot of time to think about it or talk about it because you’ve got to go. Certainly as the dust settles, those two guys go down in the game and those are two impact players.”
    Though focused on the result and staunchly avoiding a discussion of his own performance, Crayton felt good about the receivers and tight ends that played for Gates, Floyd and Naanee.
    "That’s why you’ve always got to be ready," Crayton said. "You’re always one play away. We stepped in and filled in. I think we did an OK job.

STREAK ENDS: Gates will have to settle for a tie.
    His streak of nine consecutive games with a touchdown catch ended Sunday as a leg injury kept him out of the second half.
    Gates entered the game tied with Lance Alworth for the longest streak in Chargers history.
    The tight end caught two passes for 12 yards in the first half.

MOVING UP: Rivers passed Stan Humphries for third all-time in completions.
    Rivers hit Darren Sproles in stride for an 11-yard gain in the third quarter to set up a Mike Tolbert touchdown, completing the 1,336th pass of his career. Humphries completed 1,322.
    Dan Fouts leads the Chargers with 3,297 career completions.

QUIETLY SOLID: Ryan Mathews has been nursing an ankle injury since Week 2 against Jacksonville.
    Although he hasn’t carried the ball as much, he’s been quietly productive during the last three weeks. He rushed 12 times Sunday against the Rams and averaged 5.3 yards per carry.
    On the second play from scrimmage, he eluded two tacklers in the backfield and transformed what appeared to be a sure loss into a seven-yard gain up the left side. His long of 19 also came during the first quarter.

BOLTS: Eric Weddle made 12 tackles Sunday to pace the Chargers. He also stepped in front of a Rams receiver for a would-be interception that caromed off his chest … Left tackle Marcus McNeill started his first game of the season. McNeill became eligible to join the active roster this week … Goodman played in his first NFL game. He made two tackles on special teams and played at receiver as well … Outside linebacker Antwan Barnes played extensively for the Chargers after signing with the team this week … One first-half sequence when the Rams had possession resulted in four straight pre-snap penalties, two by each team.

GAME WEATHER: 80 degrees.

ATTENDANCE: 52,472.