1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Official Game Day Thread: Chargers @ Titans - 9/22

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,641
    The solution is obvious: Sign Tebow.

:p

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,780
    I understand, but it all adds up. Its very difficult to overcome lack of talent bad play calling and poor play don't help matters much.

3. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,732
    I agree: like a lot of guys here, who've seen a million games, as that ball fell from Gilchrist's hands, I thought:
    "Damn! He just dropped the game...maybe."

But the play calling is much more deliberate...over more time...with multiple minds
    supposedly weighing the circumstances. And, this time, our coaches chose the
    most predictable, easy to stop, throw-in-the-towel option available.
    Gilchrist had less than a second to do the right thing...
    the Charger coaches had much more time and made indefensible choices.
    You call plays that badly, you deserve to lose. But hopefully they'll learn from it.

4. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    The Chargers secondary proves why they are the worst in the league against the pass... Titans, coming into the game, one of the worst passing offenses in the league, drive almost the entire length of the field and cap it with a long TD pass to win it... reminds me of the Chargers of the late 90's....teams won't even bother trying to run against the Chargers because they will be able to throw on them all day long...

Chargers find more ways to lose than to win games...

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Per usual. Rivers meltdown at the refs is followed by a choke. Proven model.

6. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,732
    Yeah...it almost makes one question the decision to not try to get a first down...
    and trusting an untrustworthy defense...

7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  8. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,707
    I felt like Whiz took his chances on a run behind an oline who just played musical chairs and a clock we needed to get time off of. An incomplete pass stops the clock and a patchwork oline is a greater turnover risk if you pass. Plus, there's the chance a run isn't expected. Probably too much over-thinking going on in terms of play calling but it's not like there wasn't any decent reasoning behind it. Do you think we honestly had the horses to get it done? I'm not so sure it was such a given...

I wouldn't be upset if we had gone for it either - I just understand why we didn't. Kinda felt like a lose/lose situation imo.

I wouldn't put the blame squarely on Gilchrist either, that's just silly. There's plenty of contributing factors to why we lost this game, and why we WILL lose others like it this season. We're not a good team, we have good pieces but the puzzle is incomplete. Sad but true. We're going to win games no one thinks we have any business winning and lose some that we thought were in the bag. Consistency is not our friend in 2013 I'm afraid.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,780

No dispute here, bad play calling doesn't help set up bad players to win games. There are just way to many holes on this club to go turtle with the game on the line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,732
    Yeah, I agree with just about all of that. And your point about an incompletion stopping the clock makes sense.
    My feeling though, is that Rivers has been stunningly accurate this year (& 20 of 24 today)
    so the chances are better of getting a 1st down, than if you do what they expect and lined up for...a run.
    Also, I think there was too much time left for the incompletion/stopping the clock thing to be pivotal...
    and, as we saw, even taking that time off, as we did, left the Titans all the time they needed. :(
    I'm disappointed because this team has looked like the better team in at least 2 of these games...
    maybe all 3. And yet we're already far behind in the AFC West...
    As an old-timer, I've suffered through enough "not in it all season" years...

p.s. I think some of the newer fans--especially those only familiar with the last decade--
    have this sense that the Chargers are always in the hunt...:confused:...maybe even entitled to be...and that,
    if you don't win the Super Bowl, there's no real difference between a 3-13 season and a 12-4 season. That is absolutely not my experience or view. If my team doesn't make the playoffs, I still want 10 wins a lot more than I can endure 12 losses...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,707
    I feel ya on being disappointed - I just knew it was going to be like this going in so I'm not all that shocked ya know?

2006 playoff loss - THAT gutted me - I'm much harder to truly upset these days :p especially when expectations should obviously be tempered.

At the end of the day we realistically were 1 or 2 plays away from winning both games and the ONLY reason we're disappointed is b/c the team has shown flashes of something better than mediocre - enough to keep our hopes alive but not enough to keep them from being dashed (usually right up until the very last second). No one enjoys having their hopes crushed - it's a ****** feeling for sure. That said - it's a loooong season - plenty of time for a miracle yeah? :D

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,732
    And I'd go a step further, and say it's not just "flashes"...they've played big chunks where they looked a lot
    better than the "27th best" team...:D

For my money, I took '09 harder than '06. I thought we had a great roster, and winning 11 straight,
    going into a playoff bye made me sure of it. I never dreamed reliable little Nate would undo all that...

13. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,218
    Not sure if this is part of the formula, but aside from flashes of consistency, it looked like McCoy or Whiz took Mathews out of the game for a bit, and our running game didn't help up us when it could have if the runs were just a little longer...

14. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,780
    The biggest improvement of this team thus far is, McCoy has his guys ready to play. Its just that his cart needs a few more horses to pull this load. JMHO.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774
    I agree. Whatever the problem is for this team it doesn't seem like preparation, and I've liked the play calling for the most part.

I just don't think we have enough talent anymore, particularly on defense. We get absolutely no points off turnovers because we NEVER get any turnovers....or even sacks for that matter. Cam Thomas leads this team in INTs right now!

• Like Like x 1
  16. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Sure sign of a rebuilding year.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +251
    With the entire roster healthy, the 2013 Chargers have almost no margin for error. The offence has to "on" to make up for our defenseless defense. Remove a couple of defenders and 60% of the starting O-line and we are probably fortunate to have not been embarrassed in the second half. At least they have been competitive in every game so far. Here's hoping everybody gets healthy before the cow-pies come to town.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,732
    Yeah...I just wish there weren't so damned many of those signs...

signs.jpg

And something for us Cal Bear fans:
    Screen Shot 2013-09-22 at 8.39.29 PM.png

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  19. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,780
    And this team has had a shot at winning all of them so far. If things start clicking and guys step up , who knows. At least they're working and I haven't seen any quit.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Frustrated.... story of being a chargers fan

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  21. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,218
    Maybe they are thinking, "we can rebuild this."

Rebuild.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
  22. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Dude! I had one of those back in 2nd grade!

23. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,218
    I think that the biggest tell on our defense is that there are really no "name" players, playmakers, etc. We need someone besides Weddle to step up, and really step in it, become a vocal leader and physical heart and soul of the defense. Like a #55...

24. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,243
    I think that guy is in a boot and another is PUP.

25. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +520
    BS, way after the "meltdown" the chargers were in a great position to win the game, this one is NOT on Rivers

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    I havent seen the game yet.. .Is it worth watching ? Or should I plan on watching CSI:SUV tomorrow night

27. VenomSyndrome

VenomSyndrome Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I am just tired of my team playing not to lose, instead of playing to win!

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,732
    Depends.
    What's your threshold for pain?

No, like the first two games, it's entertaining to the end...but painful if you care...

29. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Looked like it killed momentum to me. Sure as hell didn't help anything.

30. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +450
    Wow...... gave myself the nite to sleep this one off. I'm like Syd ref the playcalling when we were trying to run the clock down/make a 1st down at the end. At that stage the O line was a patchwork quilt, who knows how they might have held up in pass pro, can u imagine the reaction had they passed and Rivers fumbled or was intercepted. McCoy and Whiz took the right option for me and put it on the D to hold a team with no timeouts less than 2 mins left and them on their 10 yd line. And the D failed........ again.

Yes we are missing plenty of pieces on that D but where the hell has our D line save Freeney disappeared to?, Larry English GTFO, why is Gilchrist starting/playing over Taylor?, lots does not make sense to me on D. There seems no chance whatsoever of getting a turnover, the only guy hitting is Addae an UDFA, the rest of em seem soft to me. D is often an attitude and we ain't got none.

Having said all that how many of us thought we'd be better than 1 and 2 at this stage, not me, and yet we could be 3 and 0. That is down to coaching and Rivers. The future is bright provided they start getting the right guys in here and that is gona take time. But there is some opportunities right now to bring in the likes of Taylor, Te'o (how long must we wait) and Tourek. Oh and have Ladarius Green in there over a wideout if we must, it's not like Vincent Brown can get open right?