1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Gameday Thread: Chargers @ Chiefs

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,511
    Sure, he's earned criticism...... I've never denied that. Everyone knows he has to fix his fumbling problem, but he's important for the success of this team. We don't have another RB of his quality, regardless of his flaws. You were calling for Battle to get more carries, but he's not Mathews.

Todays stats: Battle - 15 carries, 39 yards for a 2.6 yard average. Mathews - 14 carries, 61 yards for a 4.4 yard average.

2. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +421
    I liked how the mix was today I hope Norv will keep the mix in his game plan.....:tup:

3. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    No one is saying that Mathews shouldn't be criticized for his errors.
    Though you seem to feel that praise for his successes should be limited or non-existent.

Mathews had a very good day today, but you tried to make a huge freakin' deal over
    a play you alone insist was a massive blunder. Mathews & Rivers haven't been on the
    field much together...their timing on that quick pass was obviously not in sync.

But you've tried to seize on it, to justify your steady anti-Mathews position.
    As I pointed out in an earlier post, since you couldn't attack his injuries, or a fumble, or
    his solid running, you tried exaggerating offhand remarks by a commentator.

Look through the press after this game. Norv didn't complain of Mathews'
    handling of that play...nor AJ, nor Rivers, nor UT writers Tom Krasovic,
    or Michael Gehlken, or Nick Canepa...or Kevin Acee.
    Heck, Acee wrote an entire piece on Mathews' performance today, and that play
    (you keep trying to convince people was a big Mathews blunder) did not warrant mention in the piece.
    But one cranky anti-Mathews fan keeps saying it was important. Who should be believed?

Should we "...take what those that know the game say above the wannabes in here" as you say?
    Or agree with you?

4. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,511
    A mix is fine....... we had that with Mathews and Tolbert. They were different types of backs. Battle is big like Tolbert, so there are situations where he makes sense (such as the goal line). That doesn't mean we should give him more carries than Mathews.

5. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +421
    I agree.... I think the mix even with Brown was great...keeps the backs fresh each game should also help later on in the season.... Mathews was drafted to be the "GUY" and he should be.....I think Norv has to mix out the carries each game.

6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,511
    Brown is best as a receiver out of the backfield...... he doesn't seem to have the cutting ability that he used to. Battle isn't that quick, but he can break arm tackles. We do have better overall depth at RB than last year.

7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,726
    ...and yet so many people around here said we'd miss Mike Tolbert.:D

A silly notion, RBs like Tolbert are a dime a dozen, and Battle is just a taller version.

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,511
    Well, we would've missed him if AJ didn't sign a decent replacement. You can't say they didn't give Tolbert a fair offer to stay. Tolbert carried a heavier workload than we can expect from Battle. They want Mathews to be the main guy.

9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,726
    Thats kinda my point, I believe AJ found Battle on the street the week before training camp...unsigned and pretty much unwanted. And now he's actually started a game where he's gotten over 15 touches and 2 TDs.

And before that we were all pretty confident anyway in Brown and Brinkley, who can be solid backups as well.

RM needs to be the guy getting 7o% of the snaps though, Norv's message was a dumb farce, and I bet if we hadn't had the lead right off the bat he'd have cracked and put Mathews in in the 3rd quarter, because Battle, like Tolbert, is a guy you only want to see in small doses.

10. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Because we've invested so much into Mathews, if he isn't playing, we're shooting ourselves in the foot.

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I think I'll save my comments for the BallsnBirds thread.

3-1

12. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    You play to win the game. At this point, the fact that one play earns triple what another does takes a backseat.
    You put the combination of players on the field that you think will help you win that day.
    Will Mathews ultimately be worth the price paid for him? None of us knows. He's supremely talented
    and willing to work hard...that's a pretty great combo that will likely outweigh early bumps in the road.

I initially scoffed at Norv starting Battle yesterday...but he was right...he had the luxury to do so because,
    frankly, Battle is playing over his head right now, AND had a little extra incentive against the team that dumped him. And Mathews came in later, especially on downs the Chiefs knew the Chargers were going to run
    (because they were trying to run out the clock) and ran well anyway. Overall, I want to see more RM, but not
    because of his contract...because he's an electrifying runner, with the capacity to break most touches all the way.

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,772
    I can't help it if you don't understand me calling for Battle to get snaps in place of RM. It's called being in the doghouse when all other methods have failed to help him over the hump. You can't just let him continue to carry the ball haphazardly and put it on the ground. All the Leave it to Beaver stern Ward Cleaver talks in the den didn't work.

Battle, the last time I checked, scored twice in the game and left the ball on the carpet zero times in the red zone or any other place for that matter. Putting Rygina in the doghouse is the best medicine for him at this point and he responded well so far.

Many HOF coaches have benched star players for this same problem and it's a tried and true method in helping them to hang onto the rock. TO's as much as you seem to not believe, kills a team as witnessed in the Falcon game. The fumble, the picks and three and outs hurt them big time and kept a young and coming defense on the field to long. Take the score there and it's a new ball game, turn it over for a score and it changes the whole complexion of the game.

Riding the pine is going to be a lot less adverse to Ryginas state of mind then just turning him loose and fumbling again. He needs the confidence in himself to build and going back out and fumbling again is not going to help. The doghouse works wonders for guys like him and I don't know why it took so long to put him in it.

14. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    It's not about his contract, it's about what we paid to acquire him. He needs to be developing, and he isn't going to do that sitting on his ***.

15. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    I think "what we paid to acquire him" is generally overblown...the guy wasn't even a Top 10 pick,
    and the 2nd that we threw in was "free AJ bux" for swindling the Seahawks on Clipboard Jesus...
    who is back on the Charger sidelines!!

Lots of guys who were paid more for than Mathews have been far less successful so far...
    and my point remains: "You play to win the game!" How Mathews got to San Diego in 2010
    really isn't very important in 2012...IMHO.

16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    What difference does it make what we paid to aquire him? Holding that against him is like holding the cost of a car against a driver. I mean of all the arguments that are lacking in logic, the 'what we paid for him' is the tops. That is unless you have Professor Peabody's way back machine and can go change time.

So would your opinion of him be different if we dint 'pay all that' to aquire him? And if the answer is yes, just realize that is sad... so very very sad.

17. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    So it would be sad for me to think that it's ok for a talented but developing 3rd year UDFA RB is on the bench? Spare your tears at my ok-ness that Curtis Brinkley is not our primary back...

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    So once again you show a distinct lack of ability to put a cohesive thought down in writing. How does your responce address your whining about what Mathews cost us, exactly? You go from whining about what we paid for Mathews to rambling about a 3rd year UFDA and Brinkley... Would you care to try and clarify your inept post, or would you rather I just go ahead and disregard it as nonsense?

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,772
    Rygina is a talent and could be a game changer any time he touches the ball as long as he holds onto it. Overpriced as compared to what? if he helps get the team to a Lombardi trophy no one will care what the initial cost was. I still maintain sitting is the best medicine for him at this time. Even in the Falcon game the offensive play was better with him than without him, but if it takes a few splinters in his britches to keep him on the field, I'm all for it.

20. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    If you can't grasp hypotheticals, that's not my problem.

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    hypotheticals are not a problem

You saying we spent too much for Mathews, and then going to UDFA's and Brinkley with no apparent connection between the two could be.

I will chalk this up to you dont really know what your angst is and wish you the best with it.

22. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    You said that the cost paid for Mathews was irrelevant, I gave an example showing where it doesn't matter that a player is sitting on the sideline because his cost was low, which is the opposite situation from Mathews. If you need me to, I can start explaining things to you in pictures, though they'll likely look more like Lance's gameday header than any of Blue's photoshop genius.

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    So that is what you were trying to do....