1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

***OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD - CHARGERS VS. RAMS***

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    WOOOHOOO !!!!!!

It is gameday !!

Get up and get ready to get the blood pumping for another exciting encounter with our very own San Diego Chargers versus the Rams.

Rise up and be heard and yell in loud and proud fashion

:bolt: GO CHARGERS !!!!!:bolt:

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Woohoo!!! Go Bolts :bolt: :bolt:

My prediction for the Rams - PAIN!! :icon_twisted:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Other than local markets does anybody know if this game is televised?

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm getting it here in VA at 8pm, I think it's via FOX.

5. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    you might want to check your morning newspaper....:lol:

6. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Thanks Buck.

Ron I don't get a newspaper. :no:

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070818-9999-1s18chargers.html

Chargers aim to reduce mistakes against Rams

By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

August 18, 2007

ST. LOUIS – The memory of whatever happens tonight on the turf of the Edward Jones Dome will likely fade as soon as September comes.
    Sooner, really. Like Monday.

That is the reality of the preseason.

Yet coach Norv Turner will convey to his team that there needs to be a sense of urgency.

Every coach believes good play breeds more of the same, and likewise, mistakes can build on themselves. A poor performance tonight would certainly sow seeds of doubt in and around this team saddled with such high expectations.

So as the Chargers prepare to play the Rams in their second exhibition game, the emphasis is on improvement for improvement's sake.

“It's the most important event we've had in training camp so far,” defensive end Luis Castillo said. “ . . . As much as you try to get revved up for that first preseason game and get yourself going, you get 10 plays. So you don't get a rhythm. To get a chance to go out there four or five drives, play a half, you get into a rhythm.”

Most starters will play the first half tonight – those who play at all. Running back LaDainian Tomlinson doesn't play in the preseason. Linebacker Matt Wilhelm will rest a strained calf.

The fact they lost their exhibition opener meant nothing to most of the Chargers, though the guys on the field when a late drive failed were disappointed. The fact they made a number of mistakes and looked a bit shoddy doing it did make the starters a little ornery.

“We all know those things don't happen for championship teams,” tight end Antonio Gates said.

And so tonight, they understand, is their next step toward being that team.

“You want to see improvement on the sloppiness,” fullback Lorenzo Neal said. “The offsides, the holding, you want to see that stuff drop down. You want to see crispness – getting in and out of the huddle, hustle getting to the line, using the play clock.

“The first game – that's why you play the preseason. It gets you going. This next game you work on tempo, speed, coming out and playing faster, and you try to cut down on the mistakes, let guys play a little more, get guys in shape.”

The Chargers noted – and videotape supported – that Seattle game-planned more than San Diego did for Sunday's game, in which the Seahawks came back in the fourth quarter to win 24-16. In that fourth quarter, the Seahawks' backup quarterback was still in the game. A number of Seattle's regulars played longer than their Chargers counterparts. The Seahawks' defensive line was stunting.

“They wanted to win,” Gates said.

The Chargers won't say that is a specific goal tonight, but they did spend more time preparing specifically for St. Louis. Almost the entirety of Thursday's practice was geared toward going against what the Rams run.

Still, it was a fraction of the preparation that goes into a regular-season game. There was one hour of video study in position groups vs. 10 hours. It is a safe bet not a single starter took video back to his room to watch the Rams, when pretty much all take video of the upcoming opponent home during the regular season. The team will meet only briefly at the hotel today. Most pages of the playbook won't be used tonight.

As for victory, that is measured not in the score but in how each unit plays.

“In the preseason you can look at winning different ways,” quarterback Philip Rivers said. “For us guys that only play the first half, you can take different things from each segment.”

Asked what he would think if the Chargers accomplished their goals of playing crisply and making improvements, yet trailed by a point at halftime, center Nick Hardwick said he would consider the night a victory. Rivers agreed, to an extent.

“What would have been different if we came to practice (Tuesday) had we won that game (against Seattle)?” he said. “The record would not have been different. Would we have been happier? Probably not. We still would have played the same the first quarter. I don't want to say a loss doesn't matter, because we want to win. You care about it. At the same time, a win or a loss doesn't have an effect on how we come back to practice.”

Rivers did say there is a point, even in the preseason, when losing becomes a potential problem.

“Winning is a habit,” he said. “You don't want to get used to walking off and losing and then you get to Week One and say, 'OK, here is the one we have to win.' ”

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070818-9999-1s18fbrost-a.html

The above link is the current roster if you want to print it out for the game. Your welcome :abq2:

8. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    *man*, I can't wait for next Sat... gonna have fun in AZ... and the 3rd game is always the best exhibition...

Road Trip...

9. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    You can see that stadium when you fly in to that area. It's a trip.

Take lots of pics Ron. :bolt:

10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/canepa/20070817-9999-1s17canepa.html

Volek not going to get his back up as backup

UNION-TRIBUNE
    August 17, 2007

At 31 years of age, Billy Volek doesn't seem to have sweeping ambitions. If he has dreams of being another Unitas, Montana or Elway, he's smart enough to know they're more of the pipe variety and keeps them in his head.

Volek is the Chargers' No. 2 quarterback, behind Philip Rivers, and that's fine with him. As Popeye said, “I yam what I yam,” and right now Volek's resumé says “backup,” although he knows it could change just like that.

“It's different,” Volek says. “I want to be the best backup in the league. My job is to push Philip and help the younger guys. There's a lot of talent on this team. I try not to get caught up in it (not starting). That's my role and I'm happy with it.”

An interesting study, Billy Volek. He has started and won games in the NFL. I don't know if he's the best backup quarterback in The League, but among fantasy football players, he's an icon.

He's a charter member of ESPN.com's Fantasy Hall of Fame. Playing for Tennessee in 2004, the Fresno State alum started eight games after Steve McNair went down. He completed 218-of-357 passes for 2,486 yards and 18 touchdowns.

But what made him famous came in consecutive Titans losses. He threw for 426 yards against Kansas City and 492 the following week at Oakland, becoming the fourth quarterback in history to pass for more than 400 yards in back-to-back weeks and just the second to throw for more than 900 over that period.

“He can win,” Rivers says. “He can do that. He's seen a lot. I play with a lot of excitement and he's a calmer. It's a good situation.”

Last year, after Drew Brees left for New Orleans, Chargers GM A.J. Smith, who had drafted rookie QB Charlie Whitehurst, began shopping for a veteran backup. He was looking at Kerry Collins, but Collins wanted to start, which wasn't happening here. So, Smith did some snooping and discovered Collins was headed for Tennessee. His thinking was that, with the Titans having drafted Vince Young, Volek would be expendable.

Problem was, the Chargers were hosting Tennessee in Week 2. No chance then-Titans GM Floyd Reese was going to trade a quarterback to a team he was about to play. But Smith was persistent, and patient.

“I told Floyd we can wait and do the deal after you guys play us,” Smith says.

So Volek flew out here with the Titans, who got themselves spanked 40-7, flew back to Tennessee and was back on a plane heading west after being traded to San Diego the following day.

“I started games in Tennessee,” says Volek, who was born in Hemet but went to high school in Fresno. “It was fun. Now I'm here as a Charger and it's fun. I'm not a bitter person. I'm blessed to be on this team.

“There was a lot of interest in me, but it's nice to be back out on the West Coast. It was a neat place for me. I felt this team had something special.”

Volek doesn't prepare like a backup. He may not get nearly the number of reps Rivers has in practice, but he grooms himself like a starter. There was no rust during Sunday's exhibition loss to Seattle. Getting most of the snaps, Volek completed 13-of-18 passes for 143 yards and a touchdown.

“I'm never rusty,” he says. “If I need conditioning, I'll run gassers. I'll take the scout team sometimes just to be ready.

“I prepare like I'm going out and taking the first snap of the game. Realistically, I can be playing by the second snap. I'm not shocked. I'm ready. I know what to do. Philip will get most of the reps in practice, but when he's doing that, I'm taking mental reps.”

Volek enjoys working with new head coach Norv Turner, who has had so much success with quarterbacks. He sees a vast gap in styles between Turner and ousted head coach Marty Schottenheimer.

“One was a head coach and the other is a head coach and offensive coordinator who knows this system very well,” Volek says. “Marty was more of a talker, a philosopher. Norv is all business.”

The head coach sure isn't unhappy to have an experienced backup.

“It means a lot,” Turner says. “He's won games in the league. He's made plays with his arm. The big thing is that he's played and, not that he isn't a good practice quarterback, but I really believe some guys light up when games start.”

Thing is, will Volek be lighting up here in 2008? His contract expires after this season. Once again, Smith planned ahead. In 2006, knowing cornerback Drayton Florence would become a free agent in 2008, he drafted Antonio Cromartie. Shortly thereafter, Smith drafted Whitehurst as quarterback insurance. If Volek leaves, Whitehurst could be ready to step up.

Volek will wait and see what the future brings. So will Smith.

“We'll see what happens,” the GM says. “I'm not worried about that now. When Billy came here, it was for two years. To be honest, I hope he doesn't play much.”

Billy Volek probably feels the same way.

11. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/weblog/archives/013709.html

Ready for St. Louis

Sorry this took so long. I had to wait FOREVER to talk to Ted Cottrell. He is truly a nice guy. But I'm not his priority ... Anyway, the team walked through this morning for 45 minutes,about 15 minutes longer than normal. Norv Turner has shifted some of the attention to teaching for the remainder of camp ... In the afternoon, they prepared for St. Louis, with 1s going against 2s and 2s against 1s a little bit ... The secondary continues to make big improvements. Interceptions abound. For the second day in a row, however, a defensive back lateralled to another DB after a pickoff and it went awry. I think Cottrell will kill the next guy to do that. He was ticked off ... Jyles Tucker, out with a concussion, returned to practice ... Rookie LB Anthony Waters continues to sit. He strained his knee in the preseason game. It's the opposite knee from the ACL tear last year, but his absences are mounting and I'm wondering how ready he will be for the beginning of the season. Thing is, he looks good when he plays ... The team will do a walk through this morning and then fly to St. Louis ... They are doing their rookie talent show right now, laughing hysterically. Sounds like it might be the best one in a while. I can't tell you some of the things being said, because they'd kill me. That's the rules.
    Posted by Kevin Acee on August 16, 2007 06:31 PM |

12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Roadie ???? :abq2: Could happen :yes: Maybe !!:icon_toast:

13. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    :icon_sad: "my boy" is gonna be great, unless...

14. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    Denver - my brother is beggin me (often) to go... :yes:

chiat T, the AZ game was only a buck & a half for tickets, airfare and hotel...:nana_dance:

15. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4809822

San Diego Chargers Strategy and Personnel

Sports Xchange
    Posted: 24 hours ago

BATTLE OF THE WEEK: Malcom Floyd vs. Craig Davis for starting WR: This competition has taken a new sense of urgency with starter Eric Parker likely to miss the first month or so of the season with a toe injury. Floyd has always been a favorite target of Philip Rivers as the two used to spend hours throwing to each other when they were backups. Davis is the apple of the Chargers' eye after they burned their No. 1 pick on him in the April draft. While many are touting Davis, coach Norv Turner said Floyd has opened his eyes. "Everyone is interested in a couple of other guys, but I really am impressed with Malcom Floyd," Turner said. "Because I think he is taking steps to be a complete receiver. Davis, though, also had a good week. "We want to get Eric back as soon as we can, but Craig is going to be a factor in our football team."

OTHER BATTLE FRONTS: Ryon Bingham vs. Brandon McKinney for backup defensive tackle: These are two players the Chargers hope don't see a lot of playing time. If that was the case, that means Pro Bowl DT Jamal Williams is out. Bingham is the leader in that he is listed behind Williams. But McKinney is having what defensive line coach Wayne Nunnely describes as a great camp.

--Darren Sproles vs. Craig Davis for PR: On a team where there are very few position battles, this remains one of the most spirited. Sproles has looked fine in fielding kickoffs -- Michael Turner is still expected to claim that role -- but not so good on punts. That was the same thing that derailed him two years ago, when he was the team's main kickoff returner. But he became so unreliable on punts, that the job went to Eric Parker. The pressure is on Sproles; if he can't make the team as a return guy, there might not be a roster spot for him. The Chargers are fairly confident Davis can handle the role, as he returned punts at LSU.

--Cletis Gordon vs. Paul Oliver for No. 4 cornerback: Gordon is in his second year and the team likes his athleticism. Oliver came to the team in the supplemental draft, which means he didn't participate in the offseason workouts. While neither player will probably be counted on heavily this year, the Chargers are looking to the future here. Starting cornerback Drayton Florence is in the last year of his contract and won't be invited back. That means Gordon and Oliver could be in for substantially more playing time in 2008, if they make a good impression this summer.

ROOKIE REPORT: Davis is seeing increased work with Parker (toe) out of action for the next nine weeks. Davis will return punts and kickoffs in the team's second preseason game. ... Eric Weddle is staying right with Clinton Hart in their battle for the strong safety job. Weddle is also getting work in the dime packages. ... ILB Brandon Siler is facing an uphill battle to make the team. ... TE Scott Chandler could be headed to the practice squad. ... Looks like FB/WR Legedu Naanee is going to make the club. ... ILB Anthony Waters is getting more work with Matt Wilhelm (calf) sidelined.

INJURY REPORT: Parker (toe) is out for nine weeks after surgery. ...

Wilhelm (calf) is out anywhere from two-to-four weeks. ... DE Igor Olshansky (groin) has been missing practice time and it was doubtful he would play in Saturday's preseason opener. ... OLB Shawne Merriman (neck) is being slowed and could miss the preseason opener.

16. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,407
    Umm......

LET THE MAYHEM BEGIN!!!

17. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7118946

Weak One is in the books

Randy Hill / FOXSports.com

Preseason is a word that was invented by the NFL as a substitute for the vulgar alternative exhibition. Loosely translated, preseason means "pay full price to watch front-line players compete for about 10 snaps."

For the record, this limited-appearance fee doesn't apply to preseason week 3, when frontline players may work for up to 30 snaps.

Anyway, the first full weekend of the 2007 NFL preseason has come and gone, leaving us with the usual early August observations. For example, we're still able to notice that NFL teams again are participating in four preseason games. This glut of practice skirmishes generally alienates media sharpies, who are quick to recognize that these events help NFL owners eke out a living.

They also help NFL coaches evaluate players against live competition, because weeks of mini-camps and maxi-camps just won't do. It doesn't matter that the preseason lasts for as long as 25 percent of the NFL's regular season.

If competitive eaters were to adopt a similarly comprehensive warm-up regime, Kobayashi might be obliged to wolf down about 15 hot dogs prior to the Fourth of July showdown at Nathan's.

But these exhibitions aren't without informational merit. For example, preseason Game 1 for the Green Bay Packers reminded us that Brett Favre still seems to start games even more slowly than he decides on when to finish a career.

The other preseason Week 1 observations may be less relevant if you haven't lived in Wisconsin:

Russ Grimm has a bit more coaching to do. The Arizona Cardinals' first-year offensive line coach is expected to make life considerably safer for quarterback Matt Leinart and running back Edgerrin James.

But in Saturday's test run at Oakland, Edge carried the ball twice for a whopping three yards. Included in this effort was an upper-arm injury to right (Matt's blind side) tackle Oliver Ross, who could miss the entire post-preseason and open the door even wider for first-round pick Levi Brown.

Detroit Lions rookie receiver Calvin Johnson plays well with others. While Calvin was impressive with two catches for 45 yards against Cincinnati, his dangerous presence allowed teammate Shaun McDonald to shake free for a long touchdown reception.

Mike Williams plays well against college-level corners. OK, his fade-route TD catch was against a paid professional, but the Lion-Bust-Turned-Raider did have the advantage of scoring against a reserve Arizona cornerback.

Brady Quinn may have been able to hold out for even more loot. Sure, Cleveland Browns quarterback Charlie Frye won a coin flip and completed 12 of 15 passes in a win over Kansas City. But he made two bad plays — including a pick six — that should inspire Browns fans to root for Brady's quick assimilation.

The Madden Curse is in mid-season form. This year's target, Tennessee Titans QB Vince Young, sat out preseason Week 1 for violating a team rule. We're assuming this unspecified team rule has nothing to do with wrestling while under contract.

Things are (still) looking up for David Carr. The first-year Carolina Panther is playing behind a new line, but still managed to spend a little time on his back. In his first game since escaping from Houston, the former first overall draft pick was sacked twice by the New York Giants.

The Indianapolis Colts are sliding ... on purpose. During their loss to the Dallas Cowboys, the defending Super Bowl champs demonstrated a sliding-pocket tactic designed to help rookie tackle Tony Ugoh help Peyton Manning stay alive.
    It should be noted that Ugoh has first crack at replacing retired Pro Bowler Tarik Glenn on Manning's blind side.

New Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett already is flirting with disaster. How's that? Well, his new scheme allowed QB Tony Romo to play catch with six receivers during his short visit to the field.
    This seems like a wise move until we remind everyone that a certain Cowboys receiver doesn't exactly appreciate the spreading of wealth.

Matt Hasselbeck's right shoulder passed its first test. The Seattle Seahawks quarterback, who went under the knife in January, completed 4 of 5 tosses against San Diego, including a 31-yard scoring strike to Deion Branch.

Things don't look so good for Chris Simms. After losing his spleen last season, the Tampa Bay QB has lost his starting job to Jeff Garcia and may be in danger of losing even more.
    A sore elbow has provided an even bigger challenge for the former Texas Longhorn, who's also being outplayed by Luke McCown and Bruce Gradkowski.

Simms might even fall to fifth string if retired (for now) Jake Plummer doesn't have the loot to repay a large chunk of his signing bonus.

If JaMarcus Russell ends his holdout anytime soon, we might be able to credit Daunte Culpepper. In his Raider debut, Culpepper was 5 of 12 against Arizona's doomsday (as in "will be cut") defenders.

Trent Green may not make Miami fans forget about Joey Harrington. The former Kansas City Chief inspired a boo serenade during a chilly 6-of-15 effort in the Dolphins' victory over Jacksonville.

The per-rush concerns of the Cincinnati Bengals were assuaged by the Lions' front seven. Rudi Johnson, whose workhorse role may still be in jeopardy, averaged 6.4 yards per carry against Detroit.

Harrington looked good (6 of 9 for 88 yards) in his Atlanta debut, but won't make anyone forget about Michael Vick ... or Matt Schaub. Based on the evidence, Dan Marino probably couldn't make Falcons fans forget Vick.

New York Giants defensive end Michael Strahan still says his holdout is not about the money. If it ever does become about the money, his team's first-string defense did little to hurt Strahan's bottom line while working against the Carolina Panthers.

Gaines Adams may be a fine replacement for Simeon Rice. The Bucs' rookie defensive end batted down a pass against New England, getting to Tom Brady even more quickly than did Gisele Bundchen after Bridget Moynahan was let go.

LaDainian Tomlinson already appears to be in mid-season form. But, as is his preseason custom, he still didn't suit up.

Travis Henry seems like a fine play for you fantasy sharpies. Behind Denver's zone-blocking scheme, the former Tennessee Titan looks like a cinch for big numbers in '07.

Based on its work in the first quarter, too little cash may have been spent in upgrading the San Francisco 49ers' defense.

The one-week delay in the Philadelphia Eagles trotting out rebuilt quarterback Donovan McNabb had more to do with playing against the Ravens in Baltimore than simply playing on the road.

18. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Let's get this party started!!!

:abq2: :abq1: :abq2:

19. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,407

Tonight's game is nationally televised on CBS. :tup:

20. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +449
    Ur not gonna believe this but us Euros are getting the game live on Sky Sports. 0100 ko my time so the recorder shall be set. I will watch it with my 1 yr old at 0700 sunday morn :tup:

Gr8 to hear we're gona kinda get a full half of 'real' play... Lookin forward to seeing the likes of Oliver and some of those reserve DLine players in the 2nd half. Enjoy guys!!. Another game down means we are a game closer to Chicago. :yes:

21. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I was thinking the same thing when I woke up and found no Gameday thread and I **** myself...screamed in the Asylum and then just took action. :icon_toast:

Saved by the bell or horn in this case :)

22. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    Bring on the dancing girls...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    BOING !!!

24. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Hmmmm... very UnSluggo like. I wonder if he felt he got us off to a bad start and wanted to change up the mojo? :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

25. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I'm getting it here in San Antone on CBS!! :tup: :icon_banana: :abq2: :icon_party:

26. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/08/18/sports/professional/chargers/22_33_478_17_07.txt

Chargers' tight end is Ram tough

By: MIKE SULLIVAN - Staff Writer

ST. LOUIS --- Brandon Manumaleuna views his return to St. Louis as a chance to see good friends and former teammates. He attaches no particular significance to going back to the area where he played his first five NFL seasons.

But that doesn't mean the Chargers' tight end won't spend a few minutes reminiscing about some of the memories associated with playing for the Rams.

"I got the chance to play in a few Super Bowls and some playoff games," Manumaleuna said. "I played with a lot of future Hall of Famers, so it was a great experience."

The Chargers visit St. Louis tonight in a preseason game at the Edwards Jones Dome, and Manumaleuna will go about his usual business of doing the overlooked little things that help a team. A renowned blocker, the 6-foot-2, 288-pound Manumaleuna also wouldn't mind doing something that makes Rams fans notice that he's back in the building.

"Maybe catch a pass and get booed a little," Manumaleuna said.

Catching the football is low on the list of what makes Manumaleuna a valued member of the Chargers. When the team extended his contract through 2009 earlier this summer, it was a move made more for his blocking and versatility than his receiving skills.

Simply put, Manumaleuna is a player who excels at doing the dirty work while others are grabbing the glory.

"You need those kind of guys on your team," fellow tight end Antonio Gates said. "Any time you have a group of guys, certain people get recognition and certain people don't, but ultimately it's the group itself. Even though certain things are not always about Brandon, he helps me out. I always refer to him as a partner because without him, there would be no me.

"He does so many things well and helps me in certain aspects of my game. We're very fortunate that we have a guy like that on our team."

Gates isn't the only Chargers star who raves about Manumaleuna. Quarterback Philip Rivers and running back LaDainian Tomlinson also gush over his contributions to the team. New coach Norv Turner, too, has quickly become a fan.

Yet head to a Chargers game, and you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone in the stands wearing Manumaleuna's No. 86 jersey. And that is just fine with Manumaleuna, who starred at Arizona before the Rams drafted him in the fourth round in 2001.

"It's more being respected by your peers and teammates and people around the league," Manumaleuna said. "People who watch football might notice me more so than just average fans.

"It's being able to have the respect of the peers. That's a big factor."

Manumaleuna, 27, certainly can catch the ball when it's tossed his way. He has 80 career receptions in six seasons, nine for touchdowns. Last season, he caught 14 passes for 91 yards and three touchdowns in his first year with the Chargers.

The Chargers acquired him in a trade during the 2006 NFL draft, and it was a deal that excited Manumaleuna. Though he started 55 games for the Rams from 2002-05, he decided not to take part in the team's offseason workouts. He knew it was time to move on.

So getting shipped to the Chargers and trading Midwest humidity for Southern California sunshine ---- he grew up in Torrance ---- was like a breath of fresh air. Then the Chargers went 14-2 in the regular season before the playoff loss to New England.

"The teams I had been on in St. Louis were all pretty good," Manumaleuna said. "Then to come here and continue to be on a playoff team and on a team that some people might say is a favorite (this year) is good. It keeps you refreshed and rejuvenated."

If the Chargers end a playoff victory drought that dates to the 1994 season, the credit will mainly go to guys like Tomlinson, Rivers, Gates and linebacker Shawne Merriman. But the players in the locker room will know that the soft-spoken Manumaleuna has done his part.

"Brandon is one of those smooth cats off the field," Gates said. "On the field, he's as tough as they come, man."

27. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://cfx.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/cfx/index.html

By Forrest Overin

Stage II of the Chargers' preseason moves to the Midwest, where the Bolts will face the St. Louis Rams. No, you won't be seeing much of Mark Bulger or Steven Jackson, just like you won't be seeing much of LaDainian Tomlinson or Antonio Gates.

But the match up nevertheless provides some interesting tests for various segments of the Chargers' team. The defensive backs, for instance, will be given a tough exam by the Rams' receivers, who spread the field and execute timing routes with unusual precision. With St. Louis' four and five wide receiver sets, young players like Antonio Cromartie, Eric Weddle and Paul Oliver will be seeing a lot of the field, and showing just how far along the learning curve they have-- or haven't-- progressed.

Meanwhile, the Chargers' Defensive Front Seven will have an opportunity to tune up against one of the most pass happy offenses in the NFL. Since most of the regulars will be out the game by halftime, it will be guys like Brandon McKinney, Louis Leonard, Andre Coleman, Tim Dobbins and Antwan Applewhite who will have an opportunity to create a bit of spotlight for themselves.

On offense, the Chargers are expected to 'test drive' Tyrone Gross and Germaine Race at running back, while also getting a better look at wideouts Buster Davis and Legedu Naanee. Vincent Jackson will likely be held out of the game, after tearing the web of skin between the thumb and index finger.

Last week, Darren Sproles demonstrated the spark that he's capable of bringing to the offense. In this game against the Rams, Sproles will get his touches returning punts and kicks. If he breaks one for the distance, he all but cements a spot for himself on the roster.

Second year quarterback Charlie Whitehurst figures to get a long look, perhaps as much as the entire second half. The coaches want to gauge the degree to which Whitehurst has closed the gap between himself and Billy Volek, who played well last week against Seattle.