1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

OFFICIAL THIRD PRESEASON GAME DAY THREAD: CHARGERS V SEAHAWKS

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    CHARGERS 18 SEAHAWKS 17

2. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Well, the first team offense looked good, and will probably be even better with LT and Gates playing.

The defense is definitely the most concerning. With Jamal in the middle, hopefully the linebackers can step it up and actually stop someone.

3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I was in Naval Intelligence at the time it started. I was of the same opinion as JFK and LBJ-a no win scenario-a stance that was kept from the press. That war was lost long before the first major American units hit the ground. There was more than one front in that war and the actual firing lines were the third one. No one convinced the American public we lost that battle, they showed the American people and Conkite that we weren't on the verge of victory like Westmoreland and Abrams and company were saying right up until TET. Face the facts-we were getting the support of about 10% of the population. We were fighting a war with forces trained to keep the Soviets away from the North Sea Coast. The most telling single fact I can state as a metaphor for that war is the fact that the American bagman for the colonels who staged the coup that killed Diem, a lieutenant in the ARVN, was concommitently a colonel in the NVA. ARVN was riddled with doubles. But this is a sports site.

4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    NVA generals, to include Nguyen Vo Giap himself, said the NVA had badly miscalculated the US might and determination, and stated that the NVA was very near capitulation, until the likes of Uncle Walter and his ilk did their hatchet job. They said they saw that the American pubic had no stomach for a further prolonged war of attrition.

Those, my friend, are facts, sports site or no.

5. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    We really need a good backup for Jamal. If this is the play we get when he's out we're in trouble.

6. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Ya think?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Game thoughts:
    Frye exploited us but notice he didn't want to put the ball anywhere near Cromartie.
    They are mike Holmgren's Seahawks! They are very good, and going to make a statement this season. Beating them is huge task we accomplished in typical Chargers fashion. We were facing a great team with a great O-line so lack of pressure is understandable.
    Sproles and Rivers were playing smart, making good decisions and committing to the execution of those decisions.
    A few times sproles had no trouble exploiting the holes, which means not only are the blockers doing a good job but LT will destroy come September.
    The defense, particularly Derrik Smith looked better. I'm much more confident in his abilities. Wilhelm looked the same as last week, not good. But no worries.
    Newberry must have heard Rivers in the huddle wrong because he screwed that snap bad.
    Tucker is decent and would have had that sack. I hope he's like Sproles and comes out bangin' next week after he leaves limping this week.
    Darren Sproles - Fair catches are ok outside the ten. don't avoid them cause it could cost us the game.
    How the hell do you miss a gimme field goal just outside 30 yards?
    Their defense sucks if left on the field too long. Our offense rules but it has to be patient. Sci-Fi is the key to the team. His ability to pin opponents that deep is invaluable.
    Billy Volek does not play well until pressured. He's clutch. How the hell do you miss a 6'7 tall TE? Floyd should keep his job. Osgood-you will never be a top WR. Stick to ST.
    I have never seen 18 pts. in a game...EVER!

8. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Well, the 'Hawks aren't that great. They haven't been since their Super Bowl trip a couple years ago. They are the best team in a bad division.

Sproles, Jackson, and Rivers were definitely the story of the game for us. Rivers definitely did make some good decisions. Really too bad the force out rule got eliminated, otherwise his deep throw to Chambers may have been called complete.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,641
    Anteater's THoughts

1. Frye did exploit our weaknesses but with a few exceptions his passes were mostly to the TEs and RBs meaning he didn't really test Jammer/Cro or even Cason much. That's probably in part because of hte lack of real receivers but also has to be attributed to how good the secondary is.
    2. Rivers had some real zing on his passes and I wonder if some of hte receivers were caught by surprise. His running motion - let's face it he looked like a goofy guy running BEFORE his acl injury. Now he looks weirder but I can live with that
    3. Jackson, his first game back, torched the Seahawks. GOod things will come. I'm also thinking that Floyd has earned himself alot more playing time especially considering Buster Davis and Legedu Naane haven't been very impressive
    4. Sproles looked great running but scary as frak returning punts. And can someone inform Jacob Hester he can run in other directions besides directly behind the center's *** at the goal line?
    5. Norv does have some balls
    6. Tucker, Applewhite and others looked pretty solid in pass rushing but god damn they couldn't tackle to save their ***!
    7. I'm rapidly losing confidence in Matt Wilhelm - if he doesn't improve in the four games Cooper's out, then Cooper should go in with Derek Smith.
    8. How freakin awesome is it when in the third quarter of a pre-season game the Charger crowd causes a false start penalty?
    9. Billy Volek, i agree, is clutch. Beyond that he's annoying.
    10. This is an incredibly deep and talented team, the best i've ever seen under the Charger banner.

10. StratoBoltz

StratoBoltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Enjoyed the game and Rivers looked good and ready to roll.

11. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    He did but I attribute this to the gaping holes in the runnig game. After the first 80 yards put up by the Hawks on the ground the ILBs were very hesitant to drop into coverage. I feel that it threw the secondary off. Bottom line though, Seattle simply moved the ball on us on the ground and through the air.

BTW... Tucker was awesome. He put some pressure on the QB, he shed blocks, he was around the ball. He may not be quite in Merriman's league but he'll do just fine, especially having Phillips opposite of him.

12. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194
    Yeah I want him to stay !

13. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    Probably headed for the PS as insurance in case AG isn't ready.:bolt:

GO CHARGERS!

14. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    It is the preseason. Look for an expanded role come the regular season.

My adopted boy will be catching a lot of passes this year and blocking for LT.

Bank on it.:bolt:

GO CHARGERS!

15. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192

The third play of the game was a seventy yard TD pass. Really, the entire defense was playing soft and out of sync for the first quarter. After they held Seattle to a FG attempt on their second drive, I thought that the defense started playing much better.

16. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    The game will change tremendously when L.T. gets out there. Those holes Darren found would be TD's for L.T. and then the pass game - L.T. is one hell of an option. Gates, if healthy, will of course bring the game up a notch or two.

17. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    you know we have a cb named jammer. i think he did pretty good....

18. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Those kinds of sentiments about the verge of defeat have been expressed by plenty of commanders who eventually won their conflicts or their battles. The battlefield was tertiary in Viet Nam. If Tet had not been such a shock to the United States, the classic response of the NVA would have been to draw back, lick their wounds and continue the battle of attrition at a lower more sustainable level. The real equation was that so much money, so much blood and so much time were simply too much for the returns the sacrifices were likely to achieve. The South Vietnamese government had not been, was not and would never be able to govern Viet Nam. The North Vietnamese knew this, just as they knew that like most guerilla wars, politics and perception are far more powerful than military force.

The American Revolution survived by a thread. Washington was in the same position as Giap and George rolled the dice and came up sevens. Those of us who figured this war wasn't worth it figured "Uncle Ho" for another Tito. The subsequent war fought between Viet Nam and China along their border proved that opinion correct. They even turned their backs on the Soviets after a rather short time-even though Moscow was their chief support.

The Europeans crushed the Tai P'ing rebellion in mid nineteenth century China. About a hundred years later that process culminated with Chairman Mao. If we hadn't left when we did, we'd still be sending body bags home. Guerillas in places like Southeast Asia are like cockroaches. Somehow they survive all efforts to eliminate them.

19. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    In the grand scheme of things, of course, you're correct, and the bail out of 1975 bears this out.