1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Offseason Moves

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Bonzi Jones, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    One Donald is gone... Just waiting on the release of Nekkid Pics... Also how would we feel about a Mario Williams acquisition.

2. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    Actually just saw the update that Brown and Conner have been released as well... Are we actually trying to make sensible moves this season and get rid of players that bring nothing to the table not even as depth is related.

3. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Both Donalds, Conner, and Chi Chi gone so far. Expecting to hear retirement or cutting of Scifres too. Now with the dead money and the saved money, where are we at cap wise?

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Robinson and Scifres need to go too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    Scrifes yes... And I'm assuming you mean Trevor Robinson right?

• Like Like x 1
  6. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    At vet min. I would take mario

7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    That ain't happening. Mario's still going to command Julius Peppers money... even coming off a bad season.

8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    35 million, plenty to work with

9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    As always... deduct about $7-8 million from that number. It's going to cost $4-5m to sign the rookie class given bonuses and the vet minimum for 1st-year players. Also, teams always budget a minimum of $3-5m for "incidentals" (i.e. injury-fill signings, LTBE incentives being met, dead-money cap-hits for releasing guys who become superfluous or necessary caps through the preseason/season).

That said, I think we are carrying over a (minimal) ~$1.5-ish million in unused cap space from last season. So there's that!

10. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    Sign me up on the "get rid of Trevor Robinson and Scifres" bandwagon.

11. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    So that leaves a couple of holes to fill in the linebacker area. Hoping that moving Perryman into that spot plus maybe another good LB will help to shore up things. As for the other side of the ball, there could be a good deal out there in finding a back up running back. (It's not like a spot that can be filled by an Arian Foster-type of RB)

12. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    Yea... Mario Williams not coming at vet minimum even after that bad season, but maybe we can get him at a reasonable price. I would have hoped for like a 1 year prove it deal, but he is probably too old for those now, so if he could be had at a decent price I would definitely look into it.

Yes releases creates more holes to plug, but the players we released were doing very little to nothing for us especially at the rate we were paying them. So worse case scenario is we get a dud to fill in to those spots at an incredibly reduced rate.

In any case, we are just a few more days to see what the team's direction will begin shaping out to be. (and probably more rants from Chain as to why Telesco is a bonifide clown at doing his job). Now I do agree with some of his posts regarding TT, but he just takes it to a level I cant always cosign on. This is in hopes that Telesco gets it right and the Chargers at least on paper looks to be taking huge steps in the right direction. No Butler (Who btw I liked and supported but damn he lost it except for flash plays), No Nekkid Pics, and No Kavell Connor. All players I think we can unanimously agree needed to go. Two of them being ex-Colts retreads. So hopefully lesson learned and we can scout and start looking elsewhere for quality talent.

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Only if you could also clear out Lissenmore please

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,153
    :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh:

A guy with 43 sacks in the last 4 seasons, in a league desperate for anyone that can pressure the QB?

:roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    ^^^ Maybe he would have more sacks if he wore roller skates?

16. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    The way I see it, Order of signings:

Gates This is a no brainer, and a great PR move to please the fans while giving Rivers his most trusted target as well as one of his best friends

Benjamin (sneaky suspicion) I believe the Chargers feel if they had another reliable wideout this team could have held up on the offenseafter Allen went down. I expect this position to be adressed early, Could switch Benjamin out with Jones/ Sanu/ Randle

Barksdale Like Gates, I feel resigning Barksdale is another priority, he could also be had for a lot cheaper/fair for both sides than some of the other top OT's on the market. Outside of the Center position needing an immediate upgrade. Bringing back the rest of the core healthy could be a serviceable group.

Robinson was brought in on a 1 year prove it deal, I feel he did just that. Get sign this man up.

Green showed he is capable of taking the lead dog role when Gates was serving his suspension, in 2016 Green should take that role to a whole new level. I expect if both are brought back, to see Green earning more snaps

Reyes If brought back cheap, I see Reyes coming in on passing downs strictly trying to rush the passer. great depth player IMO

FS Depth
    DL Depth
    OL Depth
    LB Depth

Majority of our help FS, DL, OC should be expected from the draft. Only real I doubt they spend any big money on positions or players that could be had at a fraction of the cost. DL, FS and Center.

This class is lacking big time in the WR and TE dept. so I do expect them to bring back our players while acquiring one of the only top FA wr's out there to please the fans and our QB.

17. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    I was just saying that he had some bad choices and don't want him on the team but at vet min I would take it

18. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    If we are moving to a 4-3 I'm all in for Mario, but I don't think that's happening.

I expect he'll get somewhere around $8M a year.

19. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Chiefs cut Tamba Hali.

20. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    ^^^ Too old, too slow, not disruptive enough.

21. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,153
    If the Dolphins don't write him a fat check, someone else will.

There won't be many FA proven pass rushers avail with a better resume...

22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Insurance against Randy Gregory (who they still only have a 3rd invested in anyway in the grand scheme of things), Jerruh loves him his big name guys. He'll also get the kind of job-security/guaranteed money he's going to want in Dallas, because any good-sized free agent signing in Dallas nowadays pretty much has a built in restructuring arm after the 1st or 2nd year, which then converts even more salary to bonus (hence more money guaranteed in-pocket).

23. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Then again, there aren't any In-N-Out Burgers in FLA.

24. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I'm from Canada, does In-N-Out live up to the hype? What about Roscoe's Chicken n Waffles?

25. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    We are getting a Roscoe's in San Diego very soon. And yes, those burgers are worth the hype!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I'm headed to Seattle in three weeks, is it that far north up the coast or is it just a California thing?

27. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I'm pretty sure there are no In-N-Out Burgers in Oregon or Washington, but Seattle is a food mecca. You just have to be willing to sit through the worst traffic on the planet, particularly by the University. It can literally take hours to move a single mile.

I go back to SD every couple years to do the family reunion thing. The only scheduled restaurants I ever have are Hodads (OB), Phil's BBQ, and Filippi's.

I'll be in town in a couple weeks, anyone got any suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  28. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    I don't know if In-N-Out is that far north yet, but you can find them in AZ, CA, and NV. Try the Red Mill in Seattle or Rain City Burgers, pretty good burgers I hear.

29. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Hodad's is also in downtown SD, 10th and Broadway. Phil's is everywhere, even at the airport now. Filippi's is good, but I am more partial to Bronx Pizza on Washington in Hillcrest, or Pizzeria Luigi in Golden Hill or North Park for that NY style thin crust. Peabody's has a decent burger over on Friars Road, as does the The Station in South Park. Ever tried Volare restaurant just off Pacific Hwy and next to MCRD. Little hole in the wall, but great Italian food.

30. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Unless it came to going against P-Riv. A gift that kept giving to Tamba ;)