1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Oh MY GOD

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MtlBoltsFan, Aug 7, 2006.

1. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    DENVER (AP) -- On any other day, Jay Cutler's promotion to backup quarterback would've been the biggest news coming out of Broncos training camp. Then undrafted rookie running back Mike Bell went and stole his thunder.

Cutler's promotion was pushed to the back burner Monday when Denver coach Mike Shanahan said Bell had leapfrogged Tatum Bell and Ron Dayne to claim the No. 1 spot.

When asked if he had any other news concerning the depth chart, coach Mike Shanahan just grinned.

"Isn't that enough?" he said.

And to think that Bell figured he was in trouble when Shanahan summoned him to his office Sunday evening. As Bell nervously climbed the stairs, different scenarios raced through his head -- all of them negative.

"I was shaking," Bell said.

Bell was still shaking when he left, but with excitement. The former Arizona star is also the team's kickoff returner.

"This is a dream come true," Bell said. "For him (Shanahan) to give me the opportunity to be the starter on a great organization like this is a blessing."

Bell's leap to the top of the depth chart is even quicker than that of former Denver running back Terrell Davis, who came into camp as a sixth-round draft pick in 1995 and won the starting job by the first week of the season.

Bell, who grew up idolizing Davis, earned the job -- at least for now -- before playing a single down.

"He's been real impressive," Shanahan said.

Cutler's promotion wasn't a total shock. When the Broncos selected Cutler with the 11th overall pick, and then signed him to a package worth up to $48 million over six years, it was inevitable that he'd soon replace backup Bradlee Van Pelt.

While the switch came quicker than most expected, the former Vanderbilt product wasn't surprised.

"I think I've done some good things and picked it up pretty quick," Cutler said. "I still have a lot to learn."

Dayne saw the elevation of Bell coming days ago based on his performance at practice.

"Mike has been out here killing practices," Dayne said.

Dayne's impressed by Bell's youthful energy.

"He could dead tired and he's still going," said Dayne, the 1999 Heisman Trophy winner out of Wisconsin. "That's what I really like about him."

Bell entered camp as the fourth-string running back, but quickly impressed the coaching staff when they went back and analyzed film from training camp.

"A lot of people in this situation will get complacent, but Ron and Tatum are great backs so they're going to be pushing and pushing, so I've got to keep pushing and pushing. Ultimately, it's going to be good for the team's success."

The conventional wisdom was that it would take Cutler some time to learn the Broncos' intricate offense. But that hasn't been the case.

"He's picked up things very quickly and thrown the ball extremely well," Shanahan said.

Cutler will now be facing the Broncos' first-team defense on a regular basis in camp. The team is interested in seeing how Cutler fares against a defensive unit that was third in the NFL in points allowed last season.

Van Pelt, who left the door open for Cutler with an erratic camp, took the demotion in stride.

"Whether I agree or whether I disagree, it doesn't matter," Van Pelt said. "It's a business and I have to accept it and keep improving."

Dayne and Tatum bell aren't admitting defeat, either. There's still plenty of camp left to win back the starting job.

"We all are practicing pretty good, but Mike got the edge in practice so far," Dayne said. "Both of us (Dayne and Tatum Bell) have got to pick it up, keep going and press the young guy."

GUESS WHO WAS THE ONLY ONE TO SAY MIKE BELL WOULD MAKE IT BIG TIME!?!??! MTL MTL MTL. Wonderslug go confirm this on SDUT archives. He should be in my sleeper list and I ranked him higher than Joseph Addai.

2. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    "Shammy, I have Mike Bell from Arizona ranked higher than Addai." - MtlBoltsFan MARCH 16th 2006

"Mike Bell is my #1 sleeper prospect." - MtlBoltsFan MARCH 22nd 2006

Google "MtlBoltsFan Mike Bell" there is the proof.

Bow down to me I am your God :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

Fruck you Mel Kiper I am coming for you!!!!!! All you wannabe draftniks go suk it!!

EDIT: Sorry Melvin I love you.

3. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    08/07/2006 By Bill Williamson Denver Post

My bullcrap meter just got pegged.

Looks like another Donkey cheating session to me.

Pre-draft, pre-Combine smoke filled room at Donkey Headquarters ......

Shanarat: Mike, you probably won't get picked until the 6th or 7th round.

Mike Bell: I really want to be a Donkey, Coach Shanarat.

Shanarat: Well, I know a way for you to do that, son.

Mike Bell: How?

Shanarat: Just run a crummy 40 at the Combine, and we'll sign you as a UDFA with a bigger bonus than most 6th and 7th rounders.

Mike Bell: Really?

Shanarat: Yes. Just don't tell anyone we're cheating again.

4. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: Dude is actually not a burner but he runs HARD. In terms of effort this guy is exactly the opposite of LT.... he brings it EVERY DOWN. This guy will wear down our defense he can run people over with ease. He is like Michael Turner on speed, with less speed :icon_rofl: Nobody payed attention to him 'cept MTL and I stuck with him just like J.Scott. See what happens I give SDUT PREMIUM DRAFT INFORMATION and those fruitcakes ban me for all my free services. Bad business move if you ask me :icon_shrug: