1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

OJ Simpson, All Pro Football 2k8 and the Knife

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Jul 20, 2007.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    http://www.thestreet.com/s/take-two...alysis/techgames/10369182.html?puc=_breitbart

I wasn't kidding but there's a logical problem with this (that I'm sure Ray will back me up on)

OJ can be on any team since you pick your players, pick your city (with a team name) and from there the rest of the great players are randomized. If OJ was with the top guns then this wouldn't be an issue. Take 2 probably has bad taste but come on, someone would've put this together as soon as teh game came out.

2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Offensive to OJ? I think it might be a bit more offensive to the families of his victims.

I like how the game company tries to say that any connection people are making between OJ and the stabbing mascot is unintentional. Meanwhile, the game clip that features OJ is called "slashing the defense." And OJ is described as "tear[ing] the defense to pieces," proving that he can, "escape anything that comes his way." You mean like a murder conviction?

OJ is trash. And the video game makers aren't much better.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Otta' be a big seller with the dogfighting crowd.

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I didn't read the article, but I did watch the clip. It's the only marketing move these guys could really make. Madden's got the market locked up, so this company has to do something to push the envelope and pick up some of that business.

Shiit... if you're gonna put OJ in your video game... you better damn well have the good business sense to market him as a heinous character like they did. Everyone hates him, but I guarantee if you're playing this game you're gonna want his knife-wielding *** on your team!!

When they approached OJ and asked him if it would be ok to use his name in the game... he didn't even balk. He just asked "how much you gonna pay me?" and that was it. Little did he know (or care) that they were gonna put him on a team called "The Assassins" and use the Grim Reaper as the mascot. Imagine the fight he and Hitler will have in hell when they sit down to play this game in the not-so-distance future!! They're both gonna want to be "The Assassins"!!

Brilliant.

5. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Looks like a fun game. I still have ESPN 2k5 and wont sell it. Too good a game. I picked up NCAA 08 today which imo is the best football game.

6. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    i don't like the fact that they most likely paid oj for him being in the game. really don't know what to think about it. not that i have ever bought a football game that didn't have the chargers on it anyhow.
    fuq oj

7. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Lo, yeah that's the stadium for the imaginary team called "the assasins".

8. Yngwie77

Yngwie77 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Is that for real? Thats pretty sick! I mean thats just plain wrong. If I were one of the Brown family i'd be seriously protesting this! Despicable

• Like Like x 1
  9. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Hasn't the NFL basically only given rights to EA sports? A few years ago, I remember hearing some story that basically sunk the 2k games and 989 sports, etc ..

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Yup. Which is exactly why they had to do what they did. :yes:

11. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    It is ... and that's pretty close to his running style too ....

12. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867

Same here. I still have 2K5, and this game is great. The NFL, will most likely not renew their exclusive deal with EA. So we can look forware to more NFL 2K stuff in the future.

13. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    When does it run out?

You would think 2k8 would be cheaper since their 2k5 was only $20

14. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    So their only move was to exploit OJ Simpson's status as a HOF RB who got away with murder? They bought licensing rights to use some of the best players in NFL history. Perhaps they could've focused on that, instead of some tasteless stuff about OJ.

15. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I'm normally all for irreverence and pushing the social/ethical envelope, but I see nothing redeeming about this garbage. :tdown:

16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You know there are a lot of you crying into your cherios right now because OJ might have made some money.

SO WHAT?! Yeah, you all knowing all seeing insignificant pleebs behind the curtains may KNOW OJ is guilty. But the problem is he was found innocent. Therefore he CAN and SHOULD make money where he can. Regardles of what you great Swami's out there saw in your crystal ball.

That is all...

17. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Listen, you little attention whore, a civil jury found that OJ was responsible for the murders. There is a multi-million dollar judgement against him. Any money he makes is supposed to go towards that judgement. Until that judgement is paid, OJ is not entitled to make any money. He doesn't deserve a freaking dime. He deserves to live in squalor for the rest of his life.

OJ is profiting from a criminal act--the cold-blooded murder of two people. Just because 12 morons fell for Johnnie Cochran's little rhyme game, that does not mean OJ's innocent. "If Chewbacca lives on Endor with the Ewoks, you must acquit."

Anyone with half a brain knows OJ is guilty. OJ himself has practically admitted as much.

18. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    How do you know this?

19. Yngwie77

Yngwie77 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +17

Amen! There is a line even for guys like us LOL

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You are pathetic in the manner that you cannot manage to disagree with anyone with out resorting to personal insults. It shouws that you are a very imature person, who is incapable of maitaining in resemblance of civility in the event of a disagreement or debate.

The fact that he was found responsible for damages to the families is imaterial. He was found innocent of murder. Your personal angst and desire to see him live in squalor is meaningless.

You may feel he was guilty of personally murdering two people, out side, by slashing their throats before any of them could scream or run. I find that mentality very childish and lacking any logic at all.

So when you feel like acting like an adult and maintining an air of civility let me know. If you chose not to, you may go fornicate yourself.

21. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Even if you are retarded enough to believe OJ is innocent, it doesn't mean that he's not a classless piece of trash. OJ approved the use of his likeness in the video game, knowing that the video game company was profiting off his status as an acquitted murderer. You'd think that maybe OJ would not want to profit off the murder of the mother of his children, but instead he uses the tragedy to maximize his earning potential.

OJ wrote a book outlining how he would have committed the murders, if he had committed the murders. Basically, it's a book outlining how he committed the murders, under the guise of, "how I would have committed the murders.

Before you attack me for personal insults, go back and read the tone of your post where you mocked the rest of us for using our crystal balls to know the truth. You want to adopt a condescending passive aggressive tone with people, and then act morally superior when people respond in kind.

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ahhh the mature responce of calling me retarded. Very mature BSBB. I am sure that gets you far in the insult contests you have on the fifth grade play ground.

Now you want to make 'crystal ball' into an insult to cover your inability to post an oposing opinion without being insulting, and rude. When you respond in your typical manner of insulting people and acting without any sort of civility it makes it easy to be morally superior to you. If you dont want that, modify your actions.

First off the only thing OJ is innocent of is murdering two people by himself. That is the problem with the case. The authorities tried to make it out that he acted alone. Look at the evidence, placement of the bodies and depth of wounds. You will see that it is near impossible for one person to commit such an act alone, with both of them standing there. But the people who look at things without any depth of though, or perhaps criminal justice classes under their belt simply think OJ did it alone. Fine, but not likely.

You want OJ to be punished more, fine but the criminal justice system has had its run. He is paying the families financially, if he made moeny from this game it will be going to the families. The fact that you do not like OJ doing anything is your personal issue. If you feel that strongly dont buy the game.

23. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    "All seeing, insignificant pleebs" was not an insult? What was that supposed to be, a term of endearment?

OJ is not paying the families the money he owes them. He is hiding his assets and claiming poverty.

Your assertion that OJ could not have acted alone is laughable, but whether OJ committed the murders alone or not is immaterial. If you had taken any criminal justice classes, you'd know that whether or not OJ acted alone has nothing to do with his own criminal liability.

The evidence against OJ was nothing short of overwhelming. Any criminal attornery (prosecution or defense) will tell you that most people convicted of murder have far less evidence against them than the prosecution had against OJ. There was a trail of blood from the crime scene to OJ's car, and from his car to his house. There was OJ's DNA at the scene. There was OJ's blood mixed with the blood of the victims. OJ had a history of domestic violence, a strong predictor of future violent behavior. OJ had motive, means and opportunity. If you polled forensic experts, the overwhelming majority would say they believe OJ committed those murders. Jury nullification does not change the fact that there was a mountain of evidence against OJ.

But even if OJ was not guilty of the murders, it would still be despicable to use his association with those heinous acts for financial gain, especially in such a tasteless way. His team name is the Assassins. Their team logo incorporates a knife, which just happens to be the weapon used in the murders he was accused of. The mascot makes stabbing motions with a knife when OJ scores. The makers of the game make references to OJ's association with the murders every chance they get. That is just horribly tasteless.

It's indefensible for OJ to profit off his wife's murder (and the murder of another) in this way. It's even more indefensible if you have sense enough to realize that OJ was the one who committed the murders.

24. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867
    I read it somewhere. I'll see if I can dig up the link. Or maybe it was in a gaming magazine. I don't know.

25. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Certainly they could've taken the high road... but we all know that stuff doesn't sell in today's world.

So here's my MASTER OF THE OBVIOUS take: Sex, drugs, violence. Staples of human consumption. The sickest and most twisted angles get the most attention. The greediest of marketers understands this, takes advantage of it, and gets the most money in the shortest amount of time.

Sad but true.

26. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I don't disagree that it's what alot of people do. But that's alot different than saying that they had not other choice. They had plenty of other choices.

27. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    What other choices did they have? And keep in mind, we're talking maximum marketing impact and bang for the buck. :icon_shrug: