1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ok I got 1 complaint.....PREVENT DEFENSE!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Nov 15, 2009.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    We played it almost the whole game! 4 man rush, 7 back in coverage, and we got picked apart for 400+yds a la Ted Cottrell defense.

Sooner or later its going to cost us football games, and I'm worried that because it didn't cost us the game today that its going to make Rivera committ to it that much more later on. We already know Antonio Cromartie can't handle zone defense, that he gets lost in coverage and over-commits to the routes. Our defense had been improving going man up on the corners and bringing heat with Merriman and Phillips, and thats how we've always been able to contain guys like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

SO I PRAY that Ron Rivera does not continue to run this course with our defense.

2. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Other than that, GREAT WIN! A game I would have thoght we'd lose 3 weeks ago.

3. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    McNabb got 450 yards on 55 passing attempts.

That's 8.2 yards per attempt, which is average if you really look at it.

Rivers got 231 yards on 25 attempts, or 9.24 yards per attempt, by comparison. Plus only 5 incompletions, of which 3 were throwaways to avoid sacks.

4. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    As I posted in another thread - There is nothing wrong with prevent defense if it "prevents" points. Rivera's has become a major red zone defense this season so that has mostly held true. Though, the major flaw of prevent is that you have to show weakness, a soft cushion or maybe predictable zone coverage in order to play such vanilla schemes and if teams can find even a hint of that at the end zone, they'll exploit it. Philly found it with Cason jumping off of his man to protect the low zone. So I agree, with some teams we just can't afford to let them see such weakness and he can't commit to it as a base for the pass defense but I'm not going to complain if it bends and doesn't break. It kills time and it gives a false sense of security that can burn some teams when it matters.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Besides, a true prevent defense has 3 rushers with 8 back in coverage.

On that last Philly drive, we were rushing 4 with a dime defense and a LB in the middle in case McNabb tried to run.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    You take away the run game you normally put more people in coverage.

However later in hte game and during the late second quarter, the Eagles ran crossing routes on our zone defense ALL-DAY-LONG and we didn't come close. They continued to run those and we made few if any adjustments to stop those. That concerns me big time because that's coaching. We allowed them at times to drive all the way down the field at will and would in return rush four or three.

7. SDKCFAN

SDKCFAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    I agree 100% with you. Also, why didn't they blitz??? Still all in all a great game and a great win!!!

8. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I hate the prevent >< but considering their big play passing threat the Eagles have I kinda understand it. Plus, even if Westbrook had been 100% all game long, we all know that Andy Reid is madly in love with the pass and refuses to use his run game like he should. I was actually pretty impressed with our secondary keeping the BIG plays in check.

The redzone stands in the past few weeks have been tremendous a HUGE improvement and gives confidence that no matter what, when it really counts, we can stop an opposing team from scoring 7.

Now we just gotta get our boys hanging on to those INT's hehe - only one gimme dropped tho - Burnett and Siler both made big plays and just barley came away w/out the ball. I like it :yes:

9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I agree with you for the most part, but I believe once you stop the run game you have your guys pin their ears back and put pressure on their O-line to play perfect.

Against the Eagles west coast offense....I'd have our 3 corners play man up, with an ILB or a Dime corner spying their RB, Weddle patroling deep, rushing no less than 5 from various positions and angles. Hell I'd probably play that way against 95% of the teams in this league, its harder to throw deep than it is to throw short and quick, and the West Coast is based on timing routes.

10. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I love it when a plan comes together.... :bolt: :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  11. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Obviously, if Cooper held onto that INT in the endzone on the previous Eagle drive, the Bolts win 28-16.

The very next play, McNabb threw a TD to Maclin in the back of the endzone after scrambling around for 8 seconds.

12. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    the rushers had good discipline and stayed in their lanes, kept mickey in the pocket, and the secondary kept everything in front of them. it wasn't comfortable to watch but it was a good game plan.
    broncos are goin' down...but with a different game plan. it'll be crazy pressure next week. b marsh is a concern, the guy is a stud.

13. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah, but Marshall looks like he could blow his top at any minute.

Did you see him fuming and cursing on the sidelines after Chris Simms failed?

If Marshall doesn't get on track early next week, he might punch out one of Simms' kidneys! :icon_eek:

• Like Like x 1
  14. sdrocks

sdrocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Actually League avg is 6 yard and Eagle's avg is 6.29.

I'd rather keep blitzing and do what is working. Giving up those underneath passes just lets them march down the field, get back in the game, keeps our defense on the field longer and risks giving away momentum.

15. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    no i didn't see anything but a smattering of highlights (by the by i think it was Chris Simms spleen, i could be wrong).
    i think we dominate next week with PR holding his hand to his earpeice to attempt to hear the mile high crowd once again but i bet we don't see it 'cause PR has "matured" (he smarter now and doesn't want to be yet again compared or associated with cry baby cutlet).

16. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    I don't care what you call it! I DESPISE the zone/prevent/bend don't break defense.!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I highly doubt we were in a prevent defense and viewing on TV doesn't give one a very clear perspective of the defense unfolding. It looked more to me that McNabb just did one hell of a job at slicing and dicing our DB's. There was little to no pressure on him for most of the day, he had enough time to build a Swiss watch back there.

18. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    same here. I think we just committed to trying to get to McNabb without the blitz.

However I sure loved the hit Oliver laid on McNabb on his one and only blitz.

:tup:

19. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    and that is why stats can be skewed!

20. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    The bottom line in my opinion is we gave up around 500yds of offense and had as much trouble as ever getting them off the field. HORRIBLE. I don't care which way you want to spin this, the defense played no better yesterday than they did against Pittsburgh, it just so happens Pittsburgh can run the ball in the redzone.

And this is why things take so long to get fixed, apologists blaming it on the Eagles system and pretending there was nothing the Chargers could do. At some point the defense has to get their *** off the field.

21. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    They said after the game that they were willing to give up yardage, but not the big plays with McNabb going deep, which is the Eagles strong point, throwing the bomb to their 2 good recievers. Norv stated the were prepared to give up passing yards, but not the big play TD's. (which they accomplished.)

Hell, we gave up only what, 33 yards rushing??? That was our weakness going in to the game ranked 26th, I believe. Our passing defense was around the top 10.

Let McNabb have his yards, bad play calling by Andy Reid, Bolts got the win, tied for first.

BRING ON THE DONKEYS !!!!!!!:icon_twisted:

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Doesn't matter. The defense fell asleep. We had opportunities to slam the door early and instead, they allowed the Eagles to get back into the game.

Other than that... Great Win!!! :bolt:

23. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Rope a dope.

24. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    What concerns me is that Rivera didn't bring a blitz on many occasions and beyond that during the game the Eagles would run crossing routes and we kept playing zone. Rivera couldn't make any adjustments to take away routes that had burned us all day.

25. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    They ran that TE drag play a bunch of times at the end, just over and over.

26. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    You know, the Eagles do have a very good OFFENSE, and have had a very good OFFENSE for many years. Donavon McNabb is no slouch at the QB position. Just sayin' :icon_shrug:

27. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I agree, and note I'm not mentioning the screens, the good plays by their top two WRs and the like. I mentioned on the podcast they're like us in the quantity of weapons they have.

My problem can be summed up with that old adage; fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Well fool me 17 times and the DC should get smacked.

They dragged EVERYONE across the middle; Avant, jackson, the TE, even Maclin I think once. And every time it worked and every time it went for big yards.

So yeah the Eagles were expected to gain yards, expected to score, expected to move the ball down the field. But where we at least had uniqueness to our plays and balance, they ran teh same damn thing over and over and over and over again

28. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    They have the 5th ranked scoring offense in the league, and can be just as explosive as the Pats or Colts, yet people are miffed they scored 23 points on us. :icon_shrug:

Nothing about how our defense held them to just 3 FG in 3 quarters of play.