1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

OK I watched the Chargers/Chiefs game I recorded.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    It didnt get any better! :icon_evil:

2. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    D'ya see Goff getting beaten by Donnie Edwards on a running play?. Goff needs to be sat.

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I saw McNeil fall on his face, and a lot of poor tackling, lack of spirit and players celebrating incomplete passes they had nothing to do with.

This game hurt me more than the Miami game. This game was supposed to set the tone for the rest of the season and build up ours, and their confidence.

It did not do that.

4. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    How can they lack spirit, but also be celebrating?

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Were you at the game? It was crystal clear to me...

Cro waiving his arms at an incompletion he was 10 yards away from. Not only showed how his confidence is shot, but made him look like a fool.

They, the entire team walked through most of the game.

Thigpen had a make shift offensive line and we still couldnt pressure him and made him the second comming of Montana....

It is pretty clear to me.

6. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    where you jacking off watching the game?:icon_huh:

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Why, thirsty?:icon_eek:

8. Fouts is God

Fouts is God Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +71
    I literally laughed out loud. :lol:

9. Cyanide Mint

Cyanide Mint BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Couldn't agree more. The defense let the Chiefs have the opportunity to win the game. My humble opinion, this Charger team is average at best. I think this weeks game will show the difference between an Average team and an elete NFL team.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Oh it may very well have set the tone. Just not the tone we all wan't to see :no:

11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    Another observation...

What the hell is with the defensive celebrations WHEN YOU'RE LOSING?

Same goes for special teams...

Osgood makes a hell of play on a kick, and then does his "brush off" crap.:icon_huh:

Don't celebrate ONE play. Make the play, STFU, get BACK in the huddle and make another.

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Agreed. :yes:

13. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    its misplaced intensity. they are trying to get fired up. but are doinf it at the wrong times. it doesnt come across as natural....

• Like Like x 1
  14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Very good point. Well said.

15. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    The tackling was better this time. Still not great, but better.

The defense played well the second half except for the last drive. They need more of that.

Rivera and the players have said they greatly simplified the playbook and played in base defense and zone nearly the entire game. As a consequence, the players knew what they were supposed to be doing and knew the right places to be in, and they largely were. This was opposed to before when they often were confused about the calls and didn't know where they were supposed to be. That alone they say helped them build confidence that they can play better and be what they need to be.

Rivera also said he was rusty with the playcalls in the first half, and he and the players were still feeling each other out. Things got better in the second half and the Chiefs got nothing until the last drive.

I think this defense is a work in progress, and I would expect to see it improve each week.

I do wish that Gordon hadn't been hurt, though.

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I did not see such a big defensive upswing in the second half.

I saw more dropped balls, and incompletions. But our corners were still 10 yards away from the receivers on most plays.

I hope the D comes through. If they play Pittsburgh like they did Kansas City....

17. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    **** I am going to throw up! Seeing you in those shorts were bad enough. I think I saw your balls hanging out of your shorts.:icon_eek:

18. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl: Conc showed you his bubble gum? :icon_shrug:

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    :yes: :icon_evil:

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Gave you that lil tickle did it?

21. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Well, let's take a look at their drives.

First:

10-N.Kaeding kicks 66 yards from SD 30 to KC 4. 14-K.Robinson to KC 25 for 21 yards (90-A.Applewhite, 51-T.Dobbins).
    1-10-KC 25 (14:56) 25-J.Charles right end to KC 31 for 6 yards (93-L.Castillo).
    2-4-KC 31 (14:21) (Shotgun) 4-T.Thigpen pass short middle to 88-T.Gonzalez to KC 36 for 5 yards (54-S.Cooper).
    1-10-KC 36 (13:47) (Shotgun) 29-D.Savage up the middle to KC 36 for no gain (76-J.Williams).

Sniffed out the draw and stuffed him at the line.

2-10-KC 36 (13:14) (Shotgun) 4-T.Thigpen pass short left to 82-D.Bowe to KC 38 for 2 yards (51-T.Dobbins).

Good coverage by Dobbins--allowed the completion, but brought the guy down after only a short gain.

3-8-KC 38 (12:30) (Shotgun) 4-T.Thigpen pass incomplete short right to 83-M.Bradley (23-Q.Jammer).

Great play by Jammer to knock the pass away.

4-8-KC 38 (12:24) 2-D.Colquitt punts 46 yards to SD 16, Center-48-T.Gafford, downed by KC-53-D.Williams.

Next Drive:

1-10-KC 15 (8:51) (Shotgun) 4-T.Thigpen pass short left to 83-M.Bradley to KC 18 for 3 yards (31-A.Cromartie).

Defense brought pressure here. Thigpen threw to Bradley in the flat who was immediately wrapped up at the legs and brought down by Cro. Actually a good solo tackling job by #31, despite playing off the line of scrimmage.

2-7-KC 18 (8:18) (Shotgun) 4-T.Thigpen pass incomplete short middle to 82-D.Bowe.

This was a dropped pass by Bowe.

3-7-KC 18 (8:14) (Shotgun) 4-T.Thigpen pass incomplete short middle to 88-T.Gonzalez.

This was a great, GREAT play by Cason to knock the pass away into the air. Hart came an inch away from picking it off on the tip.

4-7-KC 18 (8:09) 2-D.Colquitt punts 38 yards to SD 44, Center-48-T.Gafford. 43-D.Sproles to SD 42 for -2 yards (50-R.Boiman).

Next drive:

10-N.Kaeding kicks 71 yards from SD 30 to KC -1. 14-K.Robinson to KC 25 for 26 yards (27-P.Oliver).
    1-10-KC 25 (3:35) 25-J.Charles up the middle to KC 28 for 3 yards (76-J.Williams, 99-I.Olshansky).

Defensive line did a good job getting off blocks and bringing the runner down. Much better than earlier in the season.

2-7-KC 28 (3:04) (Shotgun) 4-T.Thigpen pass incomplete short middle to 88-T.Gonzalez.

Thigpen's throw to Gonzalez was off, but there was really, really tight coverage by Phillips, and even if the pass had been on target it likely would have been incomplete.

3-7-KC 28 (2:59) (Shotgun) 4-T.Thigpen pass incomplete deep right to 83-M.Bradley.

The deep throw was off somewhat, but again Jammer was all over Bradley and would have had a good shot at knocking the pass away. You can't really ask for tighter coverage.

4-7-KC 28 (2:54) 2-D.Colquitt punts 36 yards to SD 36, Center-48-T.Gafford, downed by KC-52-E.Walden.

Next Drive:

1-10-KC 38 (2:00) 29-D.Savage right tackle to KC 36 for -2 yards (54-S.Cooper, 76-J.Williams).

Great penetration by the line--Phillips with the initial hit and Jamal and Cooper with the stop.

2-12-KC 36 (1:16) 4-T.Thigpen pass short left to 83-M.Bradley to KC 46 for 10 yards (31-A.Cromartie).

Cro was playing off, and Bradley got a 10-yard catch out of it.

3-2-KC 46 :)36) 4-T.Thigpen pass incomplete short left to 88-T.Gonzalez.

Phillips and the d-line got good pressure, forcing a bad throw.

4-2-KC 46 :)32) 2-D.Colquitt punts 48 yards to SD 6, Center-48-T.Gafford, downed by KC-30-R.Colclough.

Next Drive:

1-10-KC 20 (6:53) (Shotgun) 4-T.Thigpen pass deep left to 82-D.Bowe to SD 49 for 31 yards (31-A.Cromartie).

Corners playing off, zone defense. Bowe found a hole in the defense and Thigpen made a good throw. Dobbins and Weddle missed the initial tackle, and Cro had to drag him down by his feet.

1-10-SD 49 (6:10) (Shotgun) 4-T.Thigpen pass short left to 82-D.Bowe ran ob at SD 48 for 1 yard (31-A.Cromartie).

Thigpen threw to Bowe in the flat, who was forced out of bounds after only a gain of one. Corners did a good job of closing quickly to limit the gain.

2-9-SD 48 (5:44) (Shotgun) 4-T.Thigpen pass short left to 88-T.Gonzalez ran ob at SD 42 for 6 yards (51-T.Dobbins).

Dobbins allowed a short completion, but forced Gonzo out, so no YAC yards.
    3-3-SD 42 (5:22) (Shotgun) 4-T.Thigpen pass short right to 29-D.Savage to SD 44 for -2 yards (23-Q.Jammer, 42-C.Hart).

Beautiful open-field tackle by Jammer, who was quickly followed up by four other Charger defenders.

4-5-SD 44 (4:39) 2-D.Colquitt punts 33 yards to SD 11, Center-48-T.Gafford, fair catch by 43-D.Sproles.

That's it before the final drive. So really, out of all their second half drives save the last one, only one or two plays suffered because of a dropped ball. The rest were good coverages or good tackles by San Diego defenders, a result of being in the correct places and doing what they were supposed to be doing.

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Lets hope this proves to be true. I dont have the confidence in this unit that you do. Sitting in the stands they looked out of position too many times. When tackles were made there was one or two defenders there.

Hey I hope you are right and you get to rub it in my face. But I cant see this defensive unit winning this weeks game.

23. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I'm not saying they are going to be brilliant. All I'm trying to say is that they were better in the second half (again, except for the last drive). For the most part, they made tackles and were in position. There is something for them to build on.

24. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    I agree and I will add it is the 1st game this season the defense has won. The Charger offense and the turnovers hurt big time.

I don't think the team has turned the corner yet but we got a win which clearly is a step in the right direction. If we had loss imop the season would have been over.

25. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    The defense "won" because they missed a PAT. But what the hell, we'll chalk it up a "W" for those bums anyway.

And yes, the season would have in fact been finished with a loss to the 2nd worst team in the NFL.

26. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Erased that MOFO soon as it was over.....:icon_evil:

27. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Yah, I agree we would of been out of it but some of you are acting like the chiefs always play bad, no that would be the lions. It was a div. game! Division games are always played hard by both teams. Bears almost lost to the lions and they're the worst team in football:icon_shrug:. Many of you will be suprised if we pull the out upset, I won't. Yea we won because of a missed point, **** happens, just like week 2. Why do you want to sit down and cry?

28. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I just can't help it...
    [​IMG]

29. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    He wants some "Mountain Dew" Conc......:icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

30. Concudan